Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 May 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1603681)   #1
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravery in F1 (Thing of the past?)

Was thinking bout GP racing 20 yrs ago today and it got me thinking!

In the modern day era of ultra safe circuits and acres of run-off does the bravery of the driver make any difference anymore?

IMO No not at all anymore.

But, if we were still racing on 70's unTilkeised tracks that would punish mistakes with potential injury IMO we would have a very different set of drivers at the top, purely down to them having just that little more bravery and consequently an edge on the opposition.

Here is my list of the current drivers rated on "Balls" IMO

1.Villenaeuve
2.Montoya
3.Sato
Old 8 May 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1603698)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Schumacher would still win as Stewart did 35 years ago. He may well have retired too as he played the odds. Sato would be dead, except he wouldn't because he'd drive differently.

Today's drivers are still brave I feel. However the spectators aren't, they couldn't stand it. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.
Old 8 May 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1603702)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are as brave as they can be I guess!

Alonso was pretty brave at 130R last season for instance!
Old 8 May 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1603713)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The current rules dont help.... I mean being brave had more advantages in yester year where as these days it is just 2 pts. Also a DNF has huge implications... it could take potentially 5 races to overcome the 10 pts lost.

The current 2 race engine also isnt a help. Drivers cannot push throughout the race.

Thats the way the rules are at the momnt and we need to get used to them as it seems they are here to stay.
Old 8 May 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1603733)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think the engine rules affect bravery!
Old 8 May 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1603737)   #6
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think braking efficiency "hides" bravery these days, once it is barely impossible to outbrake.
Old 9 May 2006, 01:29 (Ref:1603864)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Took some ticker for Mark Webber to drive the French Grand Prix last year and endure severe burns to his butt, just to finish 12th and get a better qualifying slot for the next race.
Old 9 May 2006, 01:33 (Ref:1603865)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I don't think the engine rules affect bravery!
I think Max was extremely brave to introduce them.
Old 9 May 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1603868)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Sato would be dead, except he wouldn't because he'd drive differently.
I don't think he would drive differently, simply he wouldn't have raced as much as in the present.
Old 9 May 2006, 02:17 (Ref:1603876)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmmm.

Well, I think we need to define what "bravery" is before we can attempt to evaluate the relative levels of it in different eras.
Old 9 May 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1604025)   #11
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Took some ticker for Mark Webber to drive the French Grand Prix last year and endure severe burns to his butt, just to finish 12th and get a better qualifying slot for the next race.
Have to agree on MW - although sometimes youre left wondering whether its an excess downstairs, or a lack-of upstairs...Last year of course he made a name for himself by screwing up at the first corner. This year though, if you consider his start at Malaysia and the big outside loop at the 'Ring, that took some confidence.

As for other drivers, well im sure JV, MS, and FA all achieved what they have with a certain element of balls
Old 9 May 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1604108)   #12
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Deleted

Last edited by rcarr; 9 May 2006 at 10:54. Reason: I'm an idiot!
Old 9 May 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1604110)   #13
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Nico Rosberg is brave! Some of those passing maneuvers in the 1st race of the season were spectacular!

I was just saying to my Dad when we were watching on Sunday, I wonder how a modern F1 car would fair on the Nordschleife, and would have the balls to do it? I reckon Nico and Michael!

Its nothing to do with bravery, it is all about money and sponsorship nowadays with contracts with teams etc! For example when DC was part of McLaren he was a major PR tool, softly spoken and very nice to everyone, he could only let his hair down among friends, I saw this happening with David Leslie's parents he completely changed when he was talking to them because they are good family friends of the Coulthard's.

He has also relaxed since he moved to Red Bull because he seems to have less PR pressure, he was laughing and joking at Autosport International this year, even swearing at some points.
Old 9 May 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1604147)   #14
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These guys are still brave, it's just the state of modern safety has changed how we see them.

Unlike 20 years ago these guys know they can push to the absolute limit and walk away from the wreck 99% of the time but even so, hitting an armco at 170mph or barrell rolling down a hill can't be a pleasant experience and wanting to risk going through that just to grab an extra point takes a little bit of bravery and a special kind of crazy.

Last edited by Silk Cut Jaguar; 9 May 2006 at 11:34.
Old 9 May 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1604158)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
And in that respect there's only a small handful of those 'special kind of crazy' guys in it at the mo....
Old 9 May 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1604203)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
As safe as modern Grand Prix racing is, it still takes a certain amount of bravery to climb inside a 200+mph Formula One car and put your foot to the floor.

Even more so when you're in close proximity to twenty one other guys doing the same.
Old 9 May 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1604215)   #17
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lack of bravery in the drivers? As much as I'd like to think they're still just as brave and it's just the rules or the cars or the tracks that don't let them show it, there is this nagging doubt in my mind that any of them have put their neck (literally!) on the line as many times as, for example, Nigel Mansell.

3 examples of his braveness beyond the normal human behaviour are listed below!

1.Sell house to pay for 3 F3 races

2.Test Lotus F1 with broken neck

3. Compete in 1st GP sitting in a seat full of fuel

and that's just 3 examples for 1 driver!

Lauda & Berger are also worth a mention where bravery is concerned.
Old 9 May 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1604220)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Bravery is relative though really.

An old Grand Prix driver (may have been De Portago) remarked that he wasn't brave, just not afraid.

After all, it would take more bravery for someone with arachnophobia to hold a spider, that it would for Michael Schumacher to lap Spa Francorchamps at full chat.
Old 9 May 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1604423)   #19
Oval_Junky
Rookie

England
Dorset
Oval_Junky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There may be an element of bravery amongst the modern drivers, but as it has been said, with todays rules it is very hard to tell how brave the are being.

However i think the point is, todays rules do not promote ballsy driving, just the supper smooth techniques of the likes of raikkonen, button...
Old 9 May 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1604443)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval_Junky
There may be an element of bravery amongst the modern drivers, but as it has been said, with todays rules it is very hard to tell how brave the are being.

However i think the point is, todays rules do not promote ballsy driving, just the supper smooth techniques of the likes of raikkonen, button...
Kimi smooth????!!!!
Old 9 May 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1604472)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
smooth with the words...
Old 9 May 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1604531)   #22
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone who drove those old GP cars was brave just getting in them. The further you go back, the braver they were. The climate is different now and motor racing attracts a different sort of driver. The bottom line is that your F1 driver today does not have to grapple with the fact that every time he gets in the car he is risking his life, or that he has just lost two of his friends over the past four or five weeks. We cannot of course tell which of the current drivers could cope with that. What is for sure is that many more would adopt the Stewart approach and get out while still alive.It also appears to me that the only guys who have to really think about are Indy car drivers. Guys still die on ovals.
Old 10 May 2006, 03:50 (Ref:1604754)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Motor racing is extremely dangerous, so are the drivers brave these days? Yes I would have to say they are..
Old 10 May 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1604952)   #24
mrsweety
Racer

mrsweety should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not F1! but how about Karts!!! and to the point gearbox karts!! I guess you have to be brave to ride in any kart doing 80+ mph!!

Maybe that's where the action went!!

Back on topic!! I'd say most people would S**T themselves driving an F1 car :-) so yes very brave but without the higher chance of death!

A
Old 10 May 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1605077)   #25
Mylor
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cornwall, UK
Mylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
As safe as modern Grand Prix racing is, it still takes a certain amount of bravery to climb inside a 200+mph Formula One car and put your foot to the floor.

Even more so when you're in close proximity to twenty one other guys doing the same.
Close proximity Hans? You sure it's F1 you're watching?

Oh I see now...........It's just the starts you're talking about.

Last edited by Mylor; 10 May 2006 at 12:50.