Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Mar 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1256119)   #1
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting Involved!

I was wondering if anyone knows the best route to take as getting involved into motorsports, mainly Le Mans and ALMS, on the engineering side of it. I am currently enrolled into a 2-year college planning to transfer to a 4-year university, probably Georgia Tech. I have heard aerospace and mechanical engineering are the degrees to get. Also, one other question I have is how can someone become a crewmember for a team, i.e. a tire changer, refuler, etc.?
Old 19 Mar 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1256122)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
In France, I'd say : contact the teams, they always look for new members.

But in USA, I don't know... Tim could certainly help, but he's at Sebring today !

Last edited by Fab; 19 Mar 2005 at 17:32.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1256125)   #3
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thaks for the info Fab. But, who is Tim??
Old 19 Mar 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1256127)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Tim Northcutt, one of our faithfull and dedicated members...

I mentionned Tim, but we've a bunch of Techs here around !

Last edited by Fab; 19 Mar 2005 at 17:41.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1256205)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MulsanneMike would have some ideas as well.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Mar 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1256383)   #6
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Garret

I am in my final year of a Motorsport Engineering degree course at Coventry University in the UK. I got involved in marshalling at hill climbs and circuits, because I could not get any work experince. But I would say to you is look at the smaller teams in a local championship to get your experince then try the bigger ones, becasue the bigger teams be more likely to take you on if you have some experince already.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 01:20 (Ref:1258516)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gunnell
Hi Garret

I am in my final year of a Motorsport Engineering degree course at Coventry University in the UK. I got involved in marshalling at hill climbs and circuits, because I could not get any work experince. But I would say to you is look at the smaller teams in a local championship to get your experince then try the bigger ones, becasue the bigger teams be more likely to take you on if you have some experince already.
Indeed. Join SCCA and become a worker, or join, and start to assist a car owner that lives near you. They will be happy for the help and to help you. You may start out cleaning up grungy parts and learning. At the same time you are gaining experience you are also learning things at school that may be of assistance. Old dogs can learn new tricks, and a fresh set of eyes helping to figure out a suspension setting or how to route lines to keep them from chaffing and failing during a race is always welcome. You will probably need to provide your own food and such, because club racers put their money into pistons and the like, but at the end of the day there will probably be a cold soda or beer for you--and a car that needs lots of cleaning, checking and rebuilding for the next race weekend.

Join SCCA and go to your local meetings and network and find people.

robert