Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Apr 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3528189)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
zolder's part lovely, part offensive. the foresty old school section is reminiscent of the gp loop at brands hatch, the new bit will make you want to hurt someone. so if you do go to pay your respects, expect to get angry at the jekyll and hyde nature of the place.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 13:13 (Ref:3528229)   #27
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosport Fan View Post
We’re staying just outside of Verviers for three nights- I was going to stay in Liege but I figured try to be as close as possible and the cost was about the same.
Trier is beautiful- my father used to live there and not very far to the ‘Ring from there. Personally I would recommend a drive through Luxembourg- very scenic, friendly, and if you drink or smoke, it’s cheap for those products along with the cost of filling up your motor.
I have about 6 days in Belgium, flying in and out of Charleroi. Planned a night in Brussels (told it’s not really that exciting) before the racing and then a night in Bruges afterwards and hope to also take in Ghent. Might even pop into Zolder and pay my respects to Gilles Villeneuve’s memorial there.
Brussels superficially is dull, but scratch beneath the surface and fun can very definitely be had.

If you head east from the Grand Place past the Bourse and into the area around Rue Orts and Rue Antoine Dansaert you'll find a whole load of really fun little bars and restaurants which are the ideal antidote to the touristy places that are all too easy to find (e.g the Roi d'Espagne on the Place). If you head north from there you'll find Sainte Catherine which has got loads of good fish restaurants.

Even in the most antiseptic bits (e.g. Ave Louise) if you get a little off the beaten track it can start to get really interesting (in that part of town bits around Place du Chatelain can yield some fun).
Old 18 Apr 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3528580)   #28
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Heading out on the Saturday, so long as you get a prompt tunnel, is a perfectly civilised run to Spa in time for the race. Staying in Liege works well - it's a fun town although traffic and the vagaries of GPS can make finding your destination at times a challenge.

Can't really comment on entertainment potential of Aachen or Koln - saving them along with Trier for a possible trip to the Nurburgring in August. Belgian tourist attractions won't really have woken up in early May - last year I had a go at seeing Fort Loncin outside Liege and it was resolutely closed - worth a bit of a peer around the outside but not really worth the trip.

One option for heading home would be instead of heading round the Brussels ring take the southerly route through Charleroi and pause at Mons for lunch - park by the station, walk up past the cathedral, and into the rather nice Grand Place where there are plenty of good cafes / bars / restaurants. If you've got time tack slightly north through Casteau to Soignies for a bit of WW1 tourism before heading back to the channel, alternatively from Mons you can get onto the autoroute to Lille and be back at the tunnel pretty readily.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I genuinely think Belgium's best trick was convincing the rest of the world it was a dull place - an awful lot of excitement to be found if you scratch beneath the surface.
Thanks, finally I´ve got friday off at the office so I will stay friday overnight. I like the idea of visiting WW1 fields.