Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 27 Dec 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2808816)   #3001
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
JUst finished building a Meccano helicopter with Arthur, about 5 hours!
Does it fly?

If so the MOD might be interested.
Old 27 Dec 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2808849)   #3002
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It doesn't, so they may be, if they have the budget

It does have a motorised mechanism to make the rotors turn, and also a motorised winch
Old 27 Dec 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2808858)   #3003
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Does it fly?

If so the MOD might be interested.

But surely it would be deliverable far too early.....
Old 28 Dec 2010, 05:46 (Ref:2808913)   #3004
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
If it is made abroad and isn't as suitable as a UK manufactured equivalent the MOD will buy dozens

And of course it needs to have the odd 'glitch' built in to render unuseable for most of the time......
Old 28 Dec 2010, 08:52 (Ref:2808927)   #3005
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Funny that my last 'proper' job was PDS manager for a long since gone truck company supplying the MoD and primarily keeping their 9000 or so Bedfords running, they love them, simple, tough and reliable, you can fix them anywhere too.

It was a bit like the Historic wing of the MoD
Old 28 Dec 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2808928)   #3006
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I worked for a company years ago that became MFI and they bought ex army vehicles and we rebuilt them the favourite was the RL Bedford 4 x 4 truck. We stripped them to bare chassis and rebuilt them and sold them abroard very simple vehicle to work on and a true go anywhere work horse still in service today as the Green Goddess emergency fire engines.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2808931)   #3007
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
RL? I said Historic not pre historic!

THey're all being phased out now, and or sent to the field and left behind!
Old 28 Dec 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2808934)   #3008
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
No the OL was the pre historic one! Worked on those as well.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 10:22 (Ref:2808937)   #3009
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hey Al i thinks ifs pretty safe for me to say that your passion for the automobile seems always directed to larger vehicles
Old 28 Dec 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2808943)   #3010
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Funny enough while working for this establishment in the 60's I first became introduced to the V8 as they bought a lot of Ford F100 USAF pick ups and I rebuilt several engines for them. It was probablythe best job ever for a crash course in everything automotive based as we did the lot and learnt fast as was told to just get on with it and if you did have a problem we had our own inhouse scrap yard. I also got to road test the vehicles down a disused railway line and drove Scout Cars, Half Tracks, all manner of 4 x 4 and huge Scamell tank transporter units (thats why I laughed on another post when the next job I went to I was told by thir secratary I couldnt handle Nathans ruddy Imp based cars because they had racing clutches, try a crash box on an 40's Austin truck love !!)
Old 28 Dec 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2808985)   #3011
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I'm replying to Stuarts post on the "winter projects" thread. Mrs Delta's slippers are to big! luckily Miss Delta kept the receipt.Who says teenagers know it all. Hard luck Stuart.Hope it wasn't a cookery book.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2809269)   #3012
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Probably my last post on lighter side this year and unfortunately a very sad one.One of my customers who was also a friend was killed in a car crash Christmas Eve.Its ironic that he had been over to see me only a couple of weeks ago to discuss racing in 2011.He had been Hill Climbing in a JEDI for some years but his wife was always against him racing saying it was too dangerous.They had both been to see me and a couple of his other friends race this year and also made the trip down to Monaco .Richards wife had finally agreed to let him race with us in FF2000 and as he said its something he had always wanted to do and to get on and race before its too late. Sadly, well very sadly it was too late.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2809274)   #3013
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Probably my last post on lighter side this year and unfortunately a very sad one.One of my customers who was also a friend was killed in a car crash Christmas Eve.Its ironic that he had been over to see me only a couple of weeks ago to discuss racing in 2011.He had been Hill Climbing in a JEDI for some years but his wife was always against him racing saying it was too dangerous.They had both been to see me and a couple of his other friends race this year and also made the trip down to Monaco .Richards wife had finally agreed to let him race with us in FF2000 and as he said its something he had always wanted to do and to get on and race before its too late. Sadly, well very sadly it was too late.
Iain,

That's very very sad for so many reasons.

My sympathies to you and everyone affected by the tragic event.

Not at all a good way to conclude the 2010 Lighter Side thread.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2809303)   #3014
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Oh dear Ian that really is bad, what a terrible time of year for that to happen.
Old 30 Dec 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2809382)   #3015
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Just bought a part from a nice chap called Phil who has a large workshop in Essex who must be known to many of you guys as he showed me round the workshop which was like an Aladdins cave of historic racing cars in various states of completion including GT40, Boss Mustang, Camaros, Corvettes, CSL's and the St Mary's winning Austin. Very interesting trip and I came away with a nice Holley 750 carb as well!
Old 30 Dec 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2809423)   #3016
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to hear your news, Iain, and sympathies to your friend's family and anyone else involved in the crash. Losing a close friend of mine to cancer, another to a heart attack, and my own experience a couple of years ago with a brain tumour have certainly re-inforced my view to live every day as if it were your last. So sad that your friend was at last about to set off on that path.
Old 30 Dec 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2809476)   #3017
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Thanks for all the very kind words .As Lanky said we should all live our lives to the full even if it is going around in circles throwing £50.00 notes out of the window.
Cliff, is this Daniel in the A35.Donnington three years ago.
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0684wb.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	30644
Old 30 Dec 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2809491)   #3018
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for all the very kind words .As Lanky said we should all live our lives to the full even if it is going around in circles throwing £50.00 notes out of the window.
Cliff, is this Daniel in the A35.Donnington three years ago.
Attachment 30644
As I said Iain I agree entirely, this is not a rehearsal. Yes it is Daniel up your chuff
Old 30 Dec 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2809494)   #3019
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Brilliant as i remember he was going like a bat out of hell!!!!.We can all resume the dice at the 6 hour.
Old 30 Dec 2010, 19:11 (Ref:2809496)   #3020
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Brilliant as i remember he was going like a bat out of hell!!!!.We can all resume the dice at the 6 hour.
Yeah, look forward to it.

Happy New Year to all.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2809656)   #3021
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad to hear about your chum Ian -and as Grant said too, a terrible time of the year for it to happen.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2809762)   #3022
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Commiserations Iain. A very sad note to end the year, and this 'lighter side' thread, which I'll close tomorrow. However, I'll also open a new one, unless someone beats me to it.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2809796)   #3023
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Can it be called 'Delta's tea break natter' next year ?
Old 31 Dec 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2809804)   #3024
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nearly there now.

Best wishes to everyone for the year ahead!
Old 1 Jan 2011, 01:49 (Ref:2809838)   #3025
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
OoH!

Can I sneakily post a Happy New Year message before the thread is closed?

Have a great racing season in 2011, guys and gals!