Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jun 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2719223)   #1776
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
What in heaven's name is happening?

First we get knocked out of the coupe de monde in the group stages, then the whining Spaniard manages to complain enough on his car radio to earn Lewis Hamilton a drive thru' penalty, thus ruining the end of what would have been a very exciting grand prix and then, on top of everything, a blind referee and a completely unsporting German goal keeper deny England the opportunity of going in at half time on equal footing?
Well, it seems you can't dictate to the script writers these days. All programmes have to be 'edgy' and unexpected. The blind ref. idea was, well, a blinder in script writing terms and the neat cheat is just brilliant in terms of the 'balance' it offers for 1966 final (allegedly) and the way it builds on so much of the pre-match build-up.

Yep, the script writers are certainly earning their money.

Interesting pic in one of the snoozepapers today of Cameron and Merkel stting next to each other at the G20 watching the match (or so it claimed). Cameron head in hands ... could have been the match I suppose. Equally it could have been the reaction to some of the 'economic' proposals.

Anyone fancy they will write it so Ghana win the final on penalties? And TGF announces his re-retirement before Silverstone due to his disgust at the German keeper's unsporting behaviour?

Old 28 Jun 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2719248)   #1777
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Well, it seems you can't dictate to the script writers these days. All programmes have to be 'edgy' and unexpected. The blind ref. idea was, well, a blinder in script writing terms and the neat cheat is just brilliant in terms of the 'balance' it offers for 1966 final (allegedly) and the way it builds on so much of the pre-match build-up.

Yep, the script writers are certainly earning their money.

Interesting pic in one of the snoozepapers today of Cameron and Merkel stting next to each other at the G20 watching the match (or so it claimed). Cameron head in hands ... could have been the match I suppose. Equally it could have been the reaction to some of the 'economic' proposals.

Anyone fancy they will write it so Ghana win the final on penalties? And TGF announces his re-retirement before Silverstone due to his disgust at the German keeper's unsporting behaviour?

Old 28 Jun 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2719325)   #1778
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After spending the weekend at Snetterton,I thought it worth the mention that there IS now a 'virtual kerb' on the outside of Sear and that any infringements of going 'four off' are being dealt with.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 15:59 (Ref:2719342)   #1779
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
After spending the weekend at Snetterton,I thought it worth the mention that there IS now a 'virtual kerb' on the outside of Sear and that any infringements of going 'four off' are being dealt with.

In practice for 3hr people were driving right round outside of me using the 'full' circuit, so I got CoC to confirm in briefing if beyond the painted kerb was out of bounds or not. Seemed to do the trick- mind you guess the observers there will be much busier now
Old 28 Jun 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2719345)   #1780
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never seen so many Black and White flag's Mike
Old 28 Jun 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2719477)   #1781
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Terry i think i mentioned this last year but are you switching sides.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2719478)   #1782
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Terry i think i mentioned this last year but are you switching sides.
what do you mean?????
Old 28 Jun 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2719484)   #1783
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Only a joke Esper since Terry has been doing all this safty car work speening more time with the officials instead of us hoolaginsLooking foward to Zolder kettle will be steaming.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 07:06 (Ref:2719663)   #1784
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Just thought if people were forewarned it would save them loosing their best lap-time
Perhaps if some drivers spent a little time up in RC,they would realize the aggravation they sometimes cause
Old 29 Jun 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2719956)   #1785
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Now officially old!

Although I got a Senior Citizen's Railcard a while back I now feel that 'old age' is official- today received first Winter Fuel Payment claim form! (I've turned thermostat up already......)

So, realising that really ought to be acting my age, confirmed a price to purchase a more comfortable race car in keeping with my senior status.

Iain- it's the one I showed you a picture of.

Old 29 Jun 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2720032)   #1786
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Very very happy for you Mike.Im envios but well done.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2720066)   #1787
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah thats something that needs to go with the government cuts, it should be means tested and not given to people who spend winter in spain or who like most of us here simply dont need it as it makes a mockery of the system set up to help the genuine needy.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2720078)   #1788
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yeah thats something that needs to go with the government cuts, it should be means tested and not given to people who spend winter in spain or who like most of us here simply dont need it as it makes a mockery of the system set up to help the genuine needy.
On the other hand you could look at it on the basis that the over 60s (or even the over 50s) are less likely to see 'benefit' from the long term investment in 'renewable' energy and the winter payment is no more than a return of the mandated taxes deducted, via energy bills, to fund that future. After all renewable energy is, like the concept of wide use of electric cars, only financially viable if generous subsidies are available.

Anything that reduces tax is OK by me. It would be even better if a lot if the more spurious demands were not made in the first place, but we really can't expect that. Can we?
Old 29 Jun 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2720089)   #1789
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
We have been there before Al as re winter fuel allowance. I have worked since 1962 and have never "sponged" off the government. After my back problem in February 2009 I had to stop working and racing and lived on my savings until January this year.
I could possibly (if I was that way inclined) live by playing the system, but unlike some I don't. Just because I choose to live abroad for a while why should I be chastised for taking a measly one payment a year for the thousands I pay in per annum ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Jun 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2720095)   #1790
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Because surely it was not meant for the likes of you and me and Mike and the other well heeled here but for old girls shivering at night and being scared to put the heating on and dieing of hyperthermia. The country is in serious trouble and if they pull my heating allowance and the money saved is used wisely I will have no problem with that. Its the same with giving everyone across the board child benifit, its daft and stupid and a waste of money.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2720100)   #1791
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Who drawers the line ? Agreed as regards child benefit, lots of kids in my area seem to be taken to school in cars and 4X4s that cost more than my house did in 1985 !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Jun 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2720103)   #1792
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Because surely it was not meant for the likes of you and me and Mike and the other well heeled here but for old girls shivering at night and being scared to put the heating on and dieing of hyperthermia. The country is in serious trouble and if they pull my heating allowance and the money saved is used wisely I will have no problem with that. Its the same with giving everyone across the board child benifit, its daft and stupid and a waste of money.
There couold be some doubt about this, governments being what they are, but my guess is that the admin cost of trying to come up with a system that did not suddenly drop a wage earner into a heavier level of tax 'cos they earned £5 too much overtime (or similar) would be greater than setting some basic rules and applying them to all. The chances are it is not a waste of money - another system would be equally as wasteful.

However which ever admin system one uses unless the capital leaves the country it cannot be considered wasted - it is still in circulation or invested and therefore performing a fiscal function. There are other government spends which are truly wasteful and would make much better targets for cuts. The government could offer people the option to pay up anyway and specify which fund type they would like their money to go to,

Ferris wheels in Afghanistan? Poverty in China? Buying crap military products from the USA after the US purchasing authorities have rejected them? The EU gravy train? Subsidising banks? Subsidising foreign owned power generation companies? Subsidising the bar at the House of Commons? The Olympics?

Or might they their money to land closer to home as long as it was outside Westminster?
Old 29 Jun 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2720108)   #1793
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Hey this is the "lighter side" I'm going to bed, Mmmm now where's that inflatable sheep ?
Old 30 Jun 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2720111)   #1794
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Hey this is the "lighter side" .... inflatable sheep ?
Helium?
Old 30 Jun 2010, 04:39 (Ref:2720158)   #1795
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Whoops

Memo to self- must try and avoid contentious posts..........

Old 30 Jun 2010, 06:47 (Ref:2720186)   #1796
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Whwn are you going to post picture of new car.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2720192)   #1797
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
When I know it's mine- treading very carefully and still not confirmed by other side yet!

Old 30 Jun 2010, 07:21 (Ref:2720200)   #1798
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Anyone notice posts on the forum seem down the last few months?

Hey on the subject of benifits explain this, a friend of mine who is past retirement age so does not work recently had to have half his leg amputated so why because of this when he wasnt working anyhow are they suddenly throwing more money at him, taxing his car, giving him parking passes, disability money ect. ect, I mean he can make a pair of socks last twice as long now so clearly doesnt need the extra!
Old 30 Jun 2010, 07:38 (Ref:2720205)   #1799
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Good luck to him! Far better to help out our own people rather than shelling out for family's/kids who don't even live here,or to the worlds outcast's!
Old 30 Jun 2010, 07:44 (Ref:2720207)   #1800
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

See below...

http://www.willowbrook.co.uk/ultraglide.php