Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jan 2004, 13:10 (Ref:849965)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Skaife - OAM

Monday January 26th, 2004

MARK SKAIFE - O.A.M.

Holden Racing Team owner and multi championship winning racing car driver Mark Skaife has been awarded an Order of Australia Medal (OAM) in today's Australia Day awards.

Skaife's OAM is for services to motor sport and the community.

Full release here:
http://www.racetime.com.au/?racenews=4933
Old 25 Jan 2004, 13:50 (Ref:849995)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just what exactly has he done to deserve it.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 14:31 (Ref:850004)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Multiple Australian Touringcar Champion
Multiple Bathurst Winner
Australian Idol in motorsport.
Appeared on the papers around Australia "Doing the Haka"
Old 25 Jan 2004, 14:33 (Ref:850006)   #4
pete55
Veteran

It's his job, i thought you had to do something worthwhile in the community to get these type of awards.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 16:37 (Ref:850077)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get fooled in to thinking that you have to do things in the community to recieve these awards, every year countless sportsmen, businessmen & ex-politicians get them every year & all for doing the job that they are paid for. I think it's great that someone from the motorsport community has been recognised in the awards for this year.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 19:52 (Ref:850194)   #6
Big Trev
Racer

Big Trev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have to agree that it is good that someone from mototsport gets one, it about time, although "they" probably didn't know who he was until Russell Ingall put him on the map at the last meeting of last year.

There are stacks of people out in the wider community who are more deserving of these awards, but they never come to the attention of the people who make the decisions about who are awarded them.

It seems that every year the Australian of the Year is either a media or sporting personality and this year is the same.

Though the funniest one was when John Farnham got Ozzie of the Year, and he was still an English citizen, "they" had to rush through his Australian Citizenship.

(edit: for bad spelling)

Last edited by Big Trev; 25 Jan 2004 at 19:54.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 20:29 (Ref:850216)   #7
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly Big Trev. There are people who deserve the recognition more, but good on Skaifey....
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:03 (Ref:850250)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Peter Brock, Dick Johnson, Allan Moffat et al got an OAM?

If not, then they should...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:35 (Ref:850281)   #9
dangeradam
Rookie

dangeradam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it must be a very ordinary award or one that can be bought cheaply.

maybe its hooked up to a cheap supply of statesmans for the government.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:50 (Ref:850302)   #10
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
Has Peter Brock, Dick Johnson, Allan Moffat et al got an OAM?

If not, then they should...
From memory , I think Moffat does have the OAM .
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:06 (Ref:850322)   #11
tiko
Racer

tiko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this sums up why Skaife received the OAM:

"Mark has been one of the most successful drivers in Australian domestic motor sport, with 5 Australian Touring Car/V8 Supercar championships since 1992, 4 victories at the annual Bathurst 1000 event and a number of other titles in various categories.

In recent years he has been behind a successful charity golf day on the NSW Central Coast that has resulted in healthy contributions to hospitals in the area as well as supporting the Ronald McDonald House program in Newcastle and Sydney."

Good work Skaifey - A true champion.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:07 (Ref:850323)   #12
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought Brockie would get a gong before Scaife.To go to the mountian and walk away 10 times as winner must count for nothing.When Scaife can show 10 wins at the mountian and as much charity work as Brockis then he will diserve it.Tricky Dicks done a hell of a lot more as well so who gives these things out?

THe Grumpy1:confused:

Last edited by grumpy1; 25 Jan 2004 at 22:08.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:08 (Ref:850325)   #13
Hobo high
Racer

Hobo high should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How AUSTRALIAN was his road rage antic's at eastern creek?How AUSTRALIAN was man handling of old man jimmy stone later on in the race ? Lets not forget , The barage of whingin and winein ever since in every paper and magazeine that would listen to his pathetic tale .What a tainted person to receive this award , considering the likes of BROCK have received it as well .And no one would begrudge the king for receiving any award - as he deserved all he gets !
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:10 (Ref:850328)   #14
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brings me to my next thought.How much do they cost?I might go buy one myself.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 25 Jan 2004 at 22:11.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:17 (Ref:850341)   #15
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just arrived home from Eastern Creek, went down and chucked a tantrum and got it on video no one else saw it but sending it to the governor general anyway,,,,,next year look out, TheGspot OAM no stuff it SirGspot has a better ring to it.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:19 (Ref:850342)   #16
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, guys, go easy on Mr S. Brock, Moffat, Johnson and Alan Jones all, I believe, have been awarded OAMs. I'm no Skaife fan but let's face it: he has done more than his bit for Australian motorsport and it is good to see our sport given some recognition regardless.
Yes, I can think of a lot of people both in and out of motorsport who are equally deserving of the award but none of us thought to nominate them, did we?
So this time around let's just congratulate Skaife ratyher than try shafting him.
BTW, for those who think Australian of the Year awards have always gone to sports or entertainment people, not quite true. In the last 10 years only four sports people have been name AOTY. The other six were all academic types.
Happy Australia/Invasion (depending on your point of view) Day.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:56 (Ref:850370)   #17
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There must be a list of mandatory cliches that Australia Day Honors winners have to rattle off. All of the winners that I've read about so far have "been humbled" by their win....

Two of the most prominent winners, from my experience are anything but humble guys...
Old 25 Jan 2004, 23:02 (Ref:850379)   #18
TheGspot
Racer

It would appear and I am not just talking about MK that there is a definate lack prestege associated with this award anymore, bring back the days when the award went to the likes of Fred Hollows and such, people who actually made a difference. Congrats to Mark regarless of my previous post but lets see thos ethat can make a difference the future recipients.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 23:09 (Ref:850385)   #19
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wouldn't be suggesting that recent recipients belong to or make donations to the various political parties would you?
Old 25 Jan 2004, 23:17 (Ref:850393)   #20
TheGspot
Racer

Gee a political debate, no thanks Mr Beam still has a hold this morning, but nah the thought never entered my head.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 23:38 (Ref:850409)   #21
pete55
Veteran

A Charity Golf Day is a prequisit for an OAM. Why didn't i get mine? I've also been known to chuck a few tantrums ocassionally too; not on camera though.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 00:28 (Ref:850459)   #22
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobo high
How AUSTRALIAN was his road rage antic's at eastern creek?How AUSTRALIAN was man handling of old man jimmy stone later on in the race ? Lets not forget , The barage of whingin and winein ever since in every paper and magazeine that would listen to his pathetic tale .What a tainted person to receive this award , considering the likes of BROCK have received it as well .And no one would begrudge the king for receiving any award - as he deserved all he gets !
What a completely inaccurate and so obviously biased post!

Road rage antics....ill tell you what that was, it wasnt Australian, it is called being BLOODY HUMAN!.

You lose 2nd in the championship, have yourself punted into a wall deliberately at 150KPH, from a guy who has admitted to hating you, and see how you react. I would like to see how you would cope with hitting a concrete wall at that speed knowing the damage it caused and thus the costs it incurred...remember he now has to also manage the budgets etc due to his new title as team owner.

He hasnt been whining at all, what ingall did was disgusting and as skaife has pointed out wouldnt be put up with in any other sport in the world, he has a right to complain!

Man handling! Geez i would hate to be in a heated conversation with you and touch your arm as i turned to leave, you would most likely try charge me for it!. It wasnt man handling you fool.

You say a tainted person?

He has won more championships then any other driver in the series, he has helped propel Holden, and HSV well known Australian icons to the top.

He has helped out with charities, been involved in many activities of the Motorsport, and Car industry as a whole.

He is a fantastic business man.

Greg Rust in Motor magazine made these comments which i will use to sum up.

"The HRT owner/driver -the first to take on so much responsibility since Glenn Seton set up his own team in 1989 - is often described as a arrogant, a control freak. Dont judge this book by its cover. Theres another side to Mark Skaife. Years ago he phoned to offer support and advice during a difficult patch in my career. At the time I couldnt believe my ears. It's a conversation I've ner forgotten.

He suffers from the same perceived arrogance as Lleyton Hewitt, whose antics on the court are often misunderstood. Skaifey doesn't suffer fools gladly and wastes no times with things that get in the way of racing."
Old 26 Jan 2004, 00:54 (Ref:850487)   #23
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very well said nafe. Couldn't aggree more. There seems to be a few people on these forums who aren't very Australian when they carry on like fools and critisize someone who has acheived a lot and done a lot for the community.
Well Done Skaifey, a worthy recipient.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 01:11 (Ref:850498)   #24
pete55
Veteran

Skaife gets criticism because he deserves criticism because of his behavour. You don't see too many other drivers getting criticism on here because they behave in an acceptable manner.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 01:16 (Ref:850504)   #25
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if Skaife gets it what about Doohan ?
Closed Thread