Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Apr 2021, 09:28 (Ref:4045283)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSV buys Donington Hall

Just announced that MSV are buying the Donington Hall estate, the former hq for British Midland Airways, and more recently the home of Norton motorcycles.
MSV have plans to turn it in to a hotel and exclusive car storage/ preparation place, including a private driveway to the circuit.
The announcement even mentions that the exclusive access to the circuit will use Starkey’s Bridge, which will presumably be reconstructed to cross the circuit.

https://www.facebook.com/158978680824059/posts/386...
Old 9 Apr 2021, 10:30 (Ref:4045290)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Just announced that MSV are buying the Donington Hall estate, the former hq for British Midland Airways, and more recently the home of Norton motorcycles.
MSV have plans to turn it in to a hotel and exclusive car storage/ preparation place, including a private driveway to the circuit.
The announcement even mentions that the exclusive access to the circuit will use Starkey’s Bridge, which will presumably be reconstructed to cross the circuit.

https://www.facebook.com/158978680824059/posts/386...
That's interesting as the original circuit was laid out in the Hall grounds so things will be (sort of) going full circle. (I just hope they can clean the oil off the carpets inside from the Norton motorcycles!)
Old 9 Apr 2021, 17:23 (Ref:4045323)   #3
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Andy, are you talking about the building where some shows took place? I remember attending an enjoyable moto jumble (mainly 2-Stroke) there.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 17:43 (Ref:4045326)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Andy, are you talking about the building where some shows took place? I remember attending an enjoyable moto jumble (mainly 2-Stroke) there.
This place, Gerard:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donington_Hall
Old 9 Apr 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4045327)   #5
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I see… not the one I was referring to. Thanks. My dogs would love the park!
But now you say, its your neighborhood is it? And you've a dog…
Old 9 Apr 2021, 18:05 (Ref:4045335)   #6
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder if the purchase included the Priest House Hotel down by the river? I think Garner bought that four or five years ago so it's likely to have been in the assets sold on by the liquidators.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4045337)   #7
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I wonder if the purchase included the Priest House Hotel down by the river? I think Garner bought that four or five years ago so it's likely to have been in the assets sold on by the liquidators.
Priest House being sold separately by the Receiver and not part of this deal, I think, but yes, Garner owned that too. It is currently closed.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4045338)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I see… not the one I was referring to. Thanks. My dogs would love the park!
But now you say, its your neighborhood is it? And you've a dog…
About a mile or so from my poor pile! The dogs probably not that welcome in the park, sadly, as it’s a deer park. Fishing available on the river, though, if future customers are in to that.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 20:29 (Ref:4045353)   #9
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a sort of very obvious exclusive club type thing for the mega rich, it happens in a few places, and is a bit showy and un Palmer actually. But you van see the point, mega rich keep their cars there, fly in on their jet, stay a few days, test 30 seconds off the pace, fly home Palmer makes about 20 grand, easy money

At least the hall will be kept decent, but I could not care less about what they do inside it, it is for people with more money than sense, and there are plenty of those who would be dying to hand over their money before the taxman gets it!!
Old 10 Apr 2021, 13:53 (Ref:4045442)   #10
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well JP and co normally make good financial planning decisions so I can only imagine that this latest venture will be a profitable concern. Out of interest I wonder what happened to the foray into northern France purchasing an ex military base/circuit some while back?
Answering my own question news here: https://news.msv.com/16001.aspx

Last edited by justracing; 10 Apr 2021 at 14:00.
Old 10 Apr 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4045453)   #11
abw
Rookie

England
Northampton
abw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Answering my own question news here: https://news.msv.com/16001.aspx

That was from February 2019. I can't see any mention of it online since then, so I doubt it is still due to open in Spring 2021.
Old 10 Apr 2021, 15:36 (Ref:4045454)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
May be John Elwin has more information, now he's a native…
Old 11 Apr 2021, 12:40 (Ref:4045554)   #13
hoffman66
Racer

I would think it might have encountered difficulties.

Was this also not linked to JP and his cronies selling Bedford or somewhere else for some sort of green housing project?

there is more info now about the Hall, and it is what I said just a club for hte mega rich, fly in, get treated like a movie star, get some bod on min wage to warm your car up for you, while you sleep or have a no doubt very expensive breakfasta nd you can drive to the track.

It is not my cup of tea, not many peoples unless you are in that salary bracket, but it will make him a packet no doubt, unless noone uses it, Donington is hardly up there with Spa, Silverstone or Monaco as massively desirable places to go and do this sort of thing, unless he is planning on inventing some sort of Revival, Classic tyle event there.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 14:04 (Ref:4045580)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh no, not rich people! How awful!
Old 11 Apr 2021, 18:13 (Ref:4045609)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Oh no, not rich people! How awful!
"Always consider it could be sarcasm."
Old 11 Apr 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4045618)   #16
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
It is not my cup of tea, not many peoples unless you are in that salary bracket, but it will make him a packet no doubt, unless noone uses it, Donington is hardly up there with Spa, Silverstone or Monaco as massively desirable places to go and do this sort of thing, unless he is planning on inventing some sort of Revival, Classic tyle event there.
Donington is a massively better track and venue than Silverstone. And you can hardly run events on the Monaco track.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 22:52 (Ref:4045630)   #17
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Donington is a massively better track and venue than Silverstone. And you can hardly run events on the Monaco track.
And from a marshal's POV, we've always been to made feel welcome at Donington by the circuit marshals and team, the racing is normally good and it's a terrific track to spectate on - Silverstone is half the distance and I don't/won't go there now for anything other than the VSCC.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 17:20 (Ref:4045722)   #18
hoffman66
Racer

What I mean is for the mega rich who might do this sort of thing, there are not the marquee meetings at Donington as there are at Silverstone or goodwood to make this viable.

Yes the airport is close, but are they really presuming millionaires desire to rock up at a cargo airport, drive to an old hall in a cab for thousands of ponds a night, would you rather not do that at Spa, or Silverstone, or Catalunya or Monza, where these kind of big historic meetings tend to be.

It will no doubt work, anything revolving around money tends to, but it seems an odd idea.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4045729)   #19
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What I mean is for the mega rich who might do this sort of thing, there are not the marquee meetings at Donington as there are at Silverstone or goodwood to make this viable.

Yes the airport is close, but are they really presuming millionaires desire to rock up at a cargo airport, drive to an old hall in a cab for thousands of ponds a night, would you rather not do that at Spa, or Silverstone, or Catalunya or Monza, where these kind of big historic meetings tend to be.

It will no doubt work, anything revolving around money tends to, but it seems an odd idea.
I suspect Dr Jonathon has done his sums properly.....
And good luck to him. His circuits are a credit to him and a pleasure to visit
Old 12 Apr 2021, 18:29 (Ref:4045731)   #20
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
<gets onto soapbox>
except for the paucity of electric hookup points in the paddocks.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 20:00 (Ref:4045737)   #21
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Echo that sentiment and in opinion Donington is a far superior circuit than Sillystone or Monaco and I've been to a lot of circuits. There's nothing odd about the idea of making money.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4045738)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
&lt;gets onto soapbox&gt;

except for the paucity of electric hookup points in the paddocks.
Just buy a generator they're only a few quid. Mine runs everything including big compressor and cost me less than you'll pay for a race entry.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 12 Apr 2021, 20:27 (Ref:4045740)   #23
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Spa yes.

Silverstone no way.

Monza yes.

Barcelona maybe. The area isn’t great.
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:28 (Ref:4045779)   #24
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Powell View Post
And from a marshal's POV, we've always been to made feel welcome at Donington by the circuit marshals and team, the racing is normally good and it's a terrific track to spectate on - Silverstone is half the distance and I don't/won't go there now for anything other than the VSCC.
Correction - it used to be great spectating , but now is only beaten by Silverstone for its poor views. Reason? It didn't help that the place had been transformed into a landfill site and trees chopped down en masse but at least good work has been done to restore it. But the massive run offs mean the cars are far too distant to engage - the only place now worth watching at , to get a close , immersive view is either side of the chicane .

I went to many early meetings at Donington - F2 , Gunnar Nilsson Trophy etc and the contrast , then and now , is enormous, especially at Redgate and Old Hairpin is immense. All that work in vain , for a 21st Century GP which never happened

Cadwell, Goodwood and Brands are light years better.
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:57 (Ref:4045783)   #25
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Correction - it used to be great spectating , but now is only beaten by Silverstone for its poor views. Reason? It didn't help that the place had been transformed into a landfill site and trees chopped down en masse but at least good work has been done to restore it. But the massive run offs mean the cars are far too distant to engage - the only place now worth watching at , to get a close , immersive view is either side of the chicane .

I went to many early meetings at Donington - F2 , Gunnar Nilsson Trophy etc and the contrast , then and now , is enormous, especially at Redgate and Old Hairpin is immense. All that work in vain , for a 21st Century GP which never happened

Cadwell, Goodwood and Brands are light years better.
Agreed. Sitting in the new stand watching cars skitter round Redgate through a pair of binoculars is entertaining though.