Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Apr 2021, 13:49 (Ref:4045575)   #1326
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats easy! Alan Smeathurst.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 13:57 (Ref:4045578)   #1327
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I thought it would be quite difficult. It just shows how driver safety & pit lane diclipline (smoking) has changed. Not surprising to find he died later in the year.
Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Maserati, works driver, successful in sports cars, even able to beat Fangio in the same car. Good results in the Mille Miglia* And nobody knows who he is! Tragic.

*For the less learned (ie ignorant) the Mille Miglia was a thousand mile race around Italy, over semi closed roads, and never cancelled because of bad weather. Imagine any of today 'heroes' venturing out in a sports racer with drum brakes, no seat belts, HANS devices, fireproof overalls, and a cloth helmet.

Lesson endeth here.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 14:29 (Ref:4045583)   #1328
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You forgot to say he died in the Carrera Panamericana when his Lancia hit a house.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4045586)   #1329
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You forgot to say he died in the Carrera Panamericana when his Lancia hit a house.
And he escaped injury in a huge crash also in a Lancia in the same event the year prior when he suffered a burst tyre. (Whilst leading the event.)

And on top of the good results in the Mille Miglia "bauble" mentioned, he also won the Targa Florio. (the year before he died)

Last edited by E.B; 11 Apr 2021 at 15:17.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4045592)   #1330
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Looking for a car. Well, three cars in fact.
"We thought we had won, thanks to our reliability offering a nice tir groupé. Our drivers were really good, especially one who did great things with the steering wheel. Unfortunately, a strange rule knocked us out. One year later we had a well-deserved revenge"…*
Place will be easy to find, year and car(s) not so much.
One clue: not Lotus…
Old 11 Apr 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4045597)   #1331
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Looking for a car. Well, three cars in fact.
"We thought we had won, thanks to our reliability offering a nice tir groupé. Our drivers were really good, especially one who did great things with the steering wheel. Unfortunately, a strange rule knocked us out. One year later we had a well-deserved revenge"…*
Place will be easy to find, year and car(s) not so much.
One clue: not Lotus…
PM sent.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 17:47 (Ref:4045601)   #1332
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Its easier when they are in racing suits with their names embroiled…
Pantalons intelligents the driver raced at Le Mans, and on one occasion drove a famous French car with a famous French driver.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 17:53 (Ref:4045602)   #1333
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
PM sent.
Very good attempt, RBS, you even told about others story I forgot or was not aware of.
Dont be shy, you can write here.
So clues are: not Lotus and not Monte Carlo Rallye related so not Mini Cooper either. But yes, it has to do with a strange regulation. Find who made this kind of rule to annoy some competitors…
Old 11 Apr 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4045604)   #1334
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Smart panties says it can be Da Silva Ramos. Famous French car: Gordini? Gonzales may be?
Old 11 Apr 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4045620)   #1335
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Smart panties says it can be Da Silva Ramos. Famous French car: Gordini? Gonzales may be?
RBS posted a picture of another famous French marque recently, does the day look rosier now?
Old 12 Apr 2021, 17:38 (Ref:4045724)   #1336
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
So nobody for my quizz? Disappointing… The car was a…………
Old 12 Apr 2021, 21:30 (Ref:4045752)   #1337
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was thinking Minis, Monte Carlo etc, but now I know that is not the direction to head.

*blank mind*
Old 13 Apr 2021, 05:44 (Ref:4045775)   #1338
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
It sounds very 'French' to me, probably at Le Mans, and some obscure rule used to disqualify a foreign team to the advantage of a home team.

Sneaky lot.
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:00 (Ref:4045777)   #1339
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Gerard, for someone who loves to post very tricky puzzles, you are useless at solving them.

Le Mans 1952, who co-drove a Lago Talbot with Louis Rosier? Once you have worked that out you will have the answer to RB's last picture quiz

Bauble, always happy to help..
Old 14 Apr 2021, 18:09 (Ref:4045997)   #1340
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
The last picture posted was Felice Bonetto.
Gerard is setting increasingly difficult questions so here is one from me.
Can you identify this famous car? and no it is not easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch121.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	68134
Old 15 Apr 2021, 05:32 (Ref:4046036)   #1341
Kylegibson
Rookie

England
God's County
Kylegibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only bit I know, the extinguisher is made by Pyrene in the 1950's possibly contained Carbontetrachloride.
Old 16 Apr 2021, 11:16 (Ref:4046210)   #1342
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The last picture posted was Felice Bonetto.
Gerard is setting increasingly difficult questions so here is one from me.
Can you identify this famous car? and no it is not easy.

Attachment 68134
My guess (and I stress that to be the case) is that this is a post Brooklands era, updated for the road, version of UU5871 the blower 4 1/2
Old 16 Apr 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4046219)   #1343
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
My guess (and I stress that to be the case) is that this is a post Brooklands era, updated for the road, version of UU5871 the blower 4 1/2
I thought similar nd looked at pictures, but discounted that thought for the lack of the small tail fin and wide rear end of the ex Birkin car, which also had a small but pronounced streamlined hump behind the driver.
Old 16 Apr 2021, 17:21 (Ref:4046274)   #1344
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
No not the Birkin Blower. But yes, a Brooklands Bentley.

Baub has sorted it out though!
Old 16 Apr 2021, 21:05 (Ref:4046316)   #1345
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No not the Birkin Blower. But yes, a Brooklands Bentley.

Baub has sorted it out though!
Young Bauble posted a number of pics which can be ruled out - the Derby Specials and the relatively modern build Napier Lion Peter Morley car.

I doubt it would be the Pacey Hassan so is it Old Mother Gun?
Old 16 Apr 2021, 21:29 (Ref:4046319)   #1346
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
No. Would it help if you knew the picture was taken in 1952.
Old 17 Apr 2021, 06:45 (Ref:4046365)   #1347
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I have to say it was not easy, as RBS is a bit sneaky here. There are quite a lot of things that might change between 1952 and 2021.Certainly my appearance has.
Old 19 Apr 2021, 08:43 (Ref:4046666)   #1348
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Er....nope!

We of the Stupido club struggle with the “easy” questions....if Bauble says it is “not easy” we have no hope!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 19 Apr 2021, 08:59 (Ref:4046667)   #1349
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Doesn't help no. These are challenging questions, but fun at the same time
Old 19 Apr 2021, 08:59 (Ref:4046668)   #1350
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
We of the Stupido club struggle with the “easy” questions....if Bauble says it is “not easy” we have no hope!!!
Yes but in each phrase there's a clue like:
There are quite a lot of things that might change between 1952 and 2021 I'm still working on that…