Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

View Poll Results: Round Three Hamilton vs Mansell
Hamilton 16 76.19%
Mansell 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Mar 2021, 12:28 (Ref:4039826)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The GOAT - Round Three - Hamilton vs Mansell

The second match-up in Round Three sees Hamilton vs Mansell.

Hamilton was victorious 14-1 in the second round, whilst Mansell took a 9-6 victory.

So who do you vote for as the greater driver?

Lewis Hamilton
Hamilton is among the best in every meaningful area of driver assessment. He is among the best of his era in wheel-to-wheel combat, he is an exceptional qualifier, a consistent and intelligent race driver, and to top it off, one of the all-time best wet-weather drivers.

Hamilton’s performances have been incredibly strong and consistent across his career. Even in his weakest seasons (2008 and 2011), he is statistically a top 4 driver. This is notably different from contemporary Sebastian Vettel, who took several seasons to approach his peak level, and has been rated outside the top 5 three times since 2010. At their respective peaks, the statistics see Hamilton and Vettel as comparable, but Hamilton has been a far more relentless performer over time.

In an absolute sense, Hamilton’s brilliant 2018 season (aged 33) is currently rated his best to date. But if we adjust each season performance for age and experience (i.e., determining the predicted equivalent performance if the driver had been at both peak age and experience), Hamilton’s 2007 debut season rates as his most impressive, narrowly ahead of his 2018 performance. Beating a reigning world champion as a rookie remains an absolutely extraordinary feat. The second highest rated rookie season is James Hunt’s exceptional 1973 season, where he finished 8th in the championship despite starting only half of the races.

In wet weather, it has become almost a given that Hamilton in recent times will win the race. While his percentage win rate in wet starts of 43% is lower than Alberto Ascari’s 67% (from 6 races), Ayrton Senna’s 64% (from 22 races), and Juan Manuel Fangio’s 50% (from 8 races), his winning streak in wet races from 2014-2019 was by far the longest in F1 history.

Hamilton’s team switch from McLaren to Mercedes must be considered one of the best-timed and most shrewd moves in F1 history, enabling him to spend all of his F1 career in one of the top 3 cars on the grid, and several seasons in a dominant car. This combination of car and driver has propelled Hamilton to the top of the sporting record books. Records that seemed virtually untouchable at the time they were laid down are now falling consistently.

Nigel Mansell
When Nigel Mansell intended to leave the sport in 1990, following his retirement announcement, he had scored just 16 wins, having narrowly failed to win titles with dominant cars in both 1986 and 1987. By signing with Williams for another two years, as contractual number one to teammate Riccardo Patrese, Mansell rapidly doubled his career win tally, reaping the benefits of the dominant FW14B to finally score his first title.

Mansell was a polarizing figure within the paddock, but widely admired by fans as a dogged and fearless performer who was always willing to take chances. A parallel to Juan Pablo Montoya can be easily drawn. Although Mansell is always very highly rated by fans, he is consistently lower rated by models.

In 1985, Mansell moved to Williams. In his first season there, he was closely matched with teammate Keke Rosberg, scoring 5-2 in counting races, 7-9 in qualifying, and 31-40 in points. From 1986-1987, Mansell raced with Nelson Piquet, scoring 11-8 in counting races, 17-13 in qualifying, and 124-145 in points. He faced an easier task beating Riccardo Patrese in 1988 and from 1991-1992, scoring 20-5 in counting races, 34-12 in qualifying, and 192-117 in points.

Mansell spent 1989-1990 at Ferrari. Against Gerhard Berger in 1989, he scored 2-1 in counting races, 7-7 in qualifying, and 38-15 in points. Against Alain Prost in 1990, fortunes were reversed, scoring 3-4 in counting races, 8-8 in qualifying, and 37-73 in points.
Old 11 Mar 2021, 17:42 (Ref:4039910)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Hamilton
Old 11 Mar 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4039926)   #3
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Hamilton
Yes, easy one.
Old 11 Mar 2021, 19:17 (Ref:4039937)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No contest there really.
Old 11 Mar 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4039962)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hamilton easy. Nige had his moments though.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4040151)   #6
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are all getting difficult at this stage. A great idea Mr Malcolm.

Nigel was fantastically quick and never minded who his teammate was - just another guy to race against for Nige. Should have been a double world champion (that burst tyre at the last round did for him) if not more.

Lewis is without doubt a class act and up there amongst the very, very best. But, he has had the fastest car for the last several years and only has his teammate to beat, which he failed to do with Nico Rosberg.

However much I loved our Nige it has to be Lewis Hamilton in this one.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4040158)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see Nige has four votes, that's significantly more than I expected.....
Old 12 Mar 2021, 16:54 (Ref:4040161)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
They are all getting difficult at this stage. A great idea Mr Malcolm.
Thanks - but chiilibowl deserves the credit for coming up with the idea - I just ran with it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
perhaps a series of polls? tournament style.

use one of the autosport lists as the seeding for the brackets and then we vote our way through the matchups....march madness styles!
Old 12 Mar 2021, 17:26 (Ref:4040163)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
So when our favourite doesn't win, we blame chilli?
Old 12 Mar 2021, 18:21 (Ref:4040169)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
So when our favourite doesn't win, we blame chilli?
reasonable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Thanks - but chiilibowl deserves the credit for coming up with the idea - I just ran with it:
no no the credit is yours my friend!

your effort to create something which has been a whole lot of fun for us is very much appreciated!

with the site going down the other day it just makes you realize how important this place is and all the hard work that goes into it from MagnetON and others on the technical side, to all the mods, to those who run these competitions, and to each and every poster who takes the times to read and respond to what each of us have to say is just plain brilliant.

i love this place!

anyways, Hamilton...he's pretty good no?