Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

View Poll Results: Quarter Final - Fangio vs Senna
Fangio 6 26.09%
Senna 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Mar 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4040550)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The GOAT - Quarter Final - Fangio vs Senna

The fourth Quarter Final match-up sees Fangio vs Senna.

Fangio was victorious 22-0 in the third round, whilst Senna took a 20-1 victory.

So who do you vote for as the greater driver?

Juan Manuel Fangio
Fangio’s haul of five world titles stood as the record until it was eclipsed 46 years later by Michael Schumacher in 2003.

Fangio accumulated his wins at a rate never repeated again in F1 history. Among drivers who started at least 10 races, Fangio dominates most percentage statistics, including the highest win rate of 47% (24 wins in 51 starts) and the highest podium rate of 69% (35 podiums in 51 starts). Fangio scored 24 wins far faster than any other driver in history. The only driver whose trajectory is comparable to Fangio’s is Ascari’s, which tops out at 13 wins.
Among Fangio’s greatest achievements was his legendary comeback drive at Germany 1957. The race was held on the grueling 22km Nürburgring circuit over 22 laps, taking about 3.5 hours to finish. Fangio, in the Maserati, had decided to make one pit-stop for new tyres and fuel at half distance. Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins, in the Ferraris, decided to run the race with no pit-stops. Fangio took the lead in the early stages and raced out to a lead of 28 seconds by the time of his pit-stop at the end of lap 12. However, a very slow pit-stop left him over 60 seconds behind the two Ferraris. In the remaining 10 laps, Fangio caught and passed both Ferraris, breaking the lap record 7 times in succession, even bettering his pole position time on 4 of those laps. Fittingly, it was Fangio’s final race win and sealed his fifth world championship title.

Ayrton Senna
Ayrton Senna is the driver who most often sits #1 in both fan and expert rankings of the greatest F1 drivers. Cynics attribute this to his tragic death at the height of his powers in 1994. He was arguably the greatest qualifier of all time and certainly one of the finest wet weather drivers. In total, 14.7% of races in F1 history have had wet conditions, but 14 of Senna’s 41 wins (34%) came in wet conditions.
Yet, as brilliant as Senna was in certain key areas, there were admittedly gaps in his skillset; gaps that are difficult to identify for a Jackie Stewart, a Lewis Hamilton, or a Michael Schumacher. Senna’s extremely aggressive racecraft led too often into flawed decisions or unforced errors. His race pace was also revealed as beatable by Alain Prost during their time together at McLaren.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 16:00 (Ref:4040579)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fangio based on totals.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 16:06 (Ref:4040586)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Senna based upon blistering speed and desire to win. Didn't always have the best machinery either. Master in the wet.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 19:18 (Ref:4040643)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Very difficult choice...Fangio
Old 15 Mar 2021, 20:06 (Ref:4040651)   #5
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Senna.
Old 16 Mar 2021, 07:30 (Ref:4040706)   #6
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boah difficult, but i think Senna.
Old 16 Mar 2021, 15:28 (Ref:4040836)   #7
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is probably the easiest of the 4 quarter finals. Got to be Senna.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 09:04 (Ref:4041142)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ay-ar-ton
Old 19 Mar 2021, 11:05 (Ref:4041467)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Senna. Just. Probably had more natural ability. Fangio did what he had to. Senna did we shouldn't have, but also more than he needed to. Multiple titles and big impact on the sport, so the winner.

My logic possibly shifts depending on the match-up I'm voting on, by the way. If there's one thing we perhaps agree on, it's that we're all getting super loose in our precision with deciding on the greatest of all time. Perhaps that's what these votes have served to do - make us realise the fun, futility and subjectivity in it all. I reiterate it is fun, though.
Old 19 Mar 2021, 11:25 (Ref:4041472)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I decided to go for Fangio. Both were great drivers, both had great charisma and a great aura wherever they went. It's no coincidence Senna revered Fangio and apparently wanted to equal but not beat Fangio's record of world titles

I decided to go for Fangio because for all Senna's greatness, it doesn't excuse some of the stunts he pulled on the racetrack, like Suzuka 1990. Fangio would never do such a thing