Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

View Poll Results: Grand Final - Senna vs Hamilton
Senna 12 54.55%
Hamilton 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Mar 2021, 12:48 (Ref:4043257)   #26
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Senna was beaten by his team mate for a championship though.
Yes beaten by the only other driver of the same level at the time.

Rosberg beat Hamilton but Nico was most definitely not of the same level as his teammate.

It's in the past but still a point but worth considering.

Also Hanilton has not had a truly comparable teamate since Button imho. Nico did bloody well to nick a title but I would never have put him in the truly ace bracket.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 19:11 (Ref:4043323)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One reason that these drivers don’t have comparable team mates is that they are incomparable.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 19:11 (Ref:4043324)   #28
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yes beaten by the only other driver of the same level at the time.

Rosberg beat Hamilton but Nico was most definitely not of the same level as his teammate.

It's in the past but still a point but worth considering.

Also Hanilton has not had a truly comparable teamate since Button imho. Nico did bloody well to nick a title but I would never have put him in the truly ace bracket.
thats more then fair. during their time together, Button was more the match for LH and this period of LH's career stands as the biggest knock on his claim to the GOAT title.

while i no doubt put too much value in outright number of wins being the most important GOAT factor, i really liked Button's smooth and efficient driving style to the point where this team mate comparison does give me pause in calling LH the GOAT.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4043326)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
In fairness by the time Button and Hamilton became team mates, Button had 10 years of experience in F1, whereas Lewis, despite his title had only 3 seasons and still rough edges to knock off. So that skews the picture slightly. Lewis is definitely the more naturally talented of the two
Old 27 Mar 2021, 21:50 (Ref:4043339)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Obviously the whole point is to find negative reasons why someone isn’t (and apply that selectively).

However, for me, Button’s performance when team mates with Hamilton just makes me realise how good Button was.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 23:57 (Ref:4043346)   #31
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
If we're going down this route then I'd point out that Hamilton wasn't "beaten" by Rosberg in 2016, he was beaten by a car that broke more often than Rosberg's and more often than any Mercedes in any of the years of their hybrid-era dominance.

It's amusing to think how Senna would have reacted to watching a German driver win in a German-made car with an Austrian team boss, having had the mechanics swapped around, while suffering a series of breakdowns competely out of the norm for the car/team.

Whatever the what-ifs, Prost beat Senna to the 1989 title in the same car; Rosberg beat Hamilton to the 2016 title in the same car.

Personally I don't hold this against either of them, especially when we're comparing them to Schumacher, who in his periods of dominance never had a team-mate able or allowed to compete with him. I'd rather not 'penalise' Senna or Hamilton for the fact that they drove in teams who hired title rivals to be their teammates and allowed them to race.
You're joking, right?

Senna had the chance of the title taken off him when the FIA disqualified him from the 89 Japanese GP. It was a direct intervention by the FIA who had full control of the situation. They literally decided who won the championship.

Hamilton fans will forever mention Malaysia 2016 until their dying breath. (while also conveniently forgetting 2014, or Massa in Hungary 2008 for that matter) The truth of the matter is, Rosberg drove within himself for the rest of the season knowing he only needed to finish second in the remaining races. Would he have finished ahead of Hamilton if he needed victories? We'll never know.
Old 28 Mar 2021, 00:30 (Ref:4043348)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
He’s not joking, you’re both playing the what 1F game with some assumptions. Don’t be so dismissive.

We’ll literally never know whether Senna could have won another championship because of dropped scores if he kept the Suzuka win after being push started my the marshals.

Old 28 Mar 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4043378)   #33
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
He’s not joking, you’re both playing the what 1F game with some assumptions.
Exactly that. I wasn't the one who opened the door to What If Land .

The other thing about what ifs is that they change everything that happened after them. Had Senna kept the 1989 title, the 1990 season would not have been the same because the dynamic between drivers and the team would have been different.

Same with Hamilton and 2016. He became a better driver as a result of losing that title. Had Hamilton won in 2016, Rosberg would not have retired, so 2017 onwards would have been different.

But I just want to repeat what I wrote above:

"Personally I don't hold this [1989/2016] against either of them, especially when we're comparing them to Schumacher, who in his periods of dominance never had a team-mate able or allowed to compete with him. I'd rather not 'penalise' Senna or Hamilton for the fact that they drove in teams who hired title rivals to be their teammates and allowed them to race."
Old 2 Apr 2021, 09:27 (Ref:4044337)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He’s not joking, you’re both playing the what 1F game with some assumptions. Don’t be so dismissive.

We’ll literally never know whether Senna could have won another championship because of dropped scores if he kept the Suzuka win after being push started my the marshals.

It wasn't the push start that he was disqualified for though....
Old 2 Apr 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4044347)   #35
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Seems it was hard for him to resist to a half way open door… What a warrior he was.
Old 2 Apr 2021, 13:19 (Ref:4044364)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It wasn't the push start that he was disqualified for though....
You’re right it was missing part of the track IIRC.

I just thought it would be fun to point out Senna was run pretty close in his championships by Prost in response to a post who dismissed others views by saying they are “fans”.

Those were intense years. Too intense for Prost who, sensibly, decided to go to another team for a more pleasant life. It was 1-1 in those years, which I think reflects the situation, but could have been 2-0 or 0-2.
Old 2 Apr 2021, 16:08 (Ref:4044385)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The great thing about that era was that we had the two best drivers in the best car or cars, and what's more they did with different driving styles that were both effective.

And yes it was because Senna rejoined via the escape road he was DQed. Push starts were allowed if the car was in a dangerous position, i.e. on the track. That's how Patrese was able to win in Monaco 82 despite stalling at the hairpin a couple of laps from the end
Old 8 Apr 2021, 03:18 (Ref:4045041)   #38
smellysocks
Racer

Canada
smellysocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna

(Honorable mention to Gilles Villeneuve)
Old 9 Apr 2021, 01:04 (Ref:4045244)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysocks View Post
(Honorable mention to Gilles Villeneuve)
Look who knocked Gilles out!
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155991
Old 9 Apr 2021, 03:07 (Ref:4045253)   #40
smellysocks
Racer

Canada
smellysocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Good grief.

The damned offspring did it.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 10:31 (Ref:4045291)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
I know, as much as a respect Jacques, I would say his father was much more naturally talented and would have achieved more had he not been killed. As well as the fact he hardly ever had a car that could win on it's own