Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Aug 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1678200)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
John Maguire Racing

This man either built and/or developed myriad cars in many different categories from the 60's through to the 80's from his Coventry based workshops.

I became aware of such devices as Maguire Mini's or Imps in special saloons, but he also prep'd cars for the BTCC and other formulas entirely.

What else do we know about the man, his business and some of our favourite or most successful creations?!
Old 12 Aug 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1680528)   #2
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Apart from the Maguire Spaceframe Minis and Imp/Stilletos he also built 2 Esprit Donington GT cars 1 x 1500 BDA car 1x Hart 2 litre car both used march corners
1 Skoda Car used in sprints/hillclimbing
Then he ran VW Golf and BMW M3 cars in BTCC in the 1980`s
I think he had a brief go at Single seaters
Old 12 Aug 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1680575)   #3
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Then he ran VW Golf and BMW M3 cars in BTCC in the 1980`s
He ran Tim Harvey's Istel Rover in the BTCC in 87, and then an M3 for Godfrey Hall and a Golf for James Shead in 88. A second M3 joined the Hall car at the TT, and then did the remaining couple of BTCC rounds withDavid Sears.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1680618)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
He ran Tim Harvey's Istel Rover in the BTCC in 87, and then an M3 for Godfrey Hall and a Golf for James Shead in 88. A second M3 joined the Hall car at the TT, and then did the remaining couple of BTCC rounds withDavid Sears.
Yes he ran Godfrey, who must have been quite local to him being a Coventry Bimmer dealer for a few years.

He must have had a pretty busy workshop at that time.

I can't remember where the M3's were sourced from (don't think they were brand new builds) but the second car you mention that ran at the TT and the final few '88 BTCC rounds was leased from a privateer German outfit I think. Tim Harvey and Dave Coyne joined Hall and David Sears and I was hoping that there might be a 2 car assault with any of those drivers for 1989 or even the ETC. However, Godfrey continued but the ETC didn't so that put paid to that!

It's funny because I often wondered if the Sears effort, was something to do with Andy Rouse getting his old buddy to assist take points away from Frank Sytner in the title race (Frank didn't think that suggestion was totally out of order at one time!)

Did Maguire run a Commodore for a couple of guys at the '87 TT bu any chance?
Old 12 Aug 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1680781)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=chunterer]I can't remember where the M3's were sourced from (don't think they were brand new builds) but the second car you mention that ran at the TT and the final few '88 BTCC rounds was leased from a privateer German outfit I think. Tim Harvey and Dave Coyne joined Hall and David Sears and I was hoping that there might be a 2 car assault with any of those drivers for 1989 or even the ETC. However, Godfrey continued but the ETC didn't so that put paid to that![QUOTE]

Harvey and Sears shared one car, while Clark shared the other with James Shead and Barrie Williams.
Dave Coyne was on board one of a pair of John Clark-entered M3's, (again leased from a European outfit as I remember?)- he shared with Vic Lee, while John Clark shared the other with Andrew Jeffrey

Quote:
Did Maguire run a Commodore for a couple of guys at the '87 TT by any chance?
Andrew Jeffrey shared a VL with Vic Covey at the 87 TT, but I've got no idea who ran it- There was also a Belgian VL for Michel Delcourt/Alex Guyaux/ Jerry Mahony but I don't know if they were connected?
Old 22 Aug 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1688554)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Got a feeling it was John Maguire who tended that car but Alan Docking also looked after Holden's for people who ran them in Britain or Europe didn't he?

Mike O Brien's ex Grice VK was tended by ADR for couple of years.

Re Mahony, his Sierra were Roger Dowson prepped I think so maybe that Holden he drove was as well?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1766504)   #7
SRCTRUCKS
Rookie

Scotland
scotland
SRCTRUCKS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if this is in wrong place, i have just bought a Maguire esprit which was a Donnington gt championship winning car with Eddie McLurg, + am looking for info + pics if anyone can hellp, i believe 2 of these cars were made + raced in the 80's. Also looking to find someone with body moulds. contact me
at srctrucks@aol.com or on here
Thanks
Old 15 Nov 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1766611)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome SRCT; I think this thread is as good a place as any to make your enquiry and hope that you receive some informative responses!
Old 15 Nov 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1766761)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRCTRUCKS
Sorry if this is in wrong place, i have just bought a Maguire esprit which was a Donnington gt championship winning car with Eddie McLurg, + am looking for info + pics if anyone can hellp, i believe 2 of these cars were made + raced in the 80's. Also looking to find someone with body moulds. contact me
at srctrucks@aol.com or on here
Thanks
Might be worth a look here?

http://www.racing70s.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Old 21 Nov 2006, 03:57 (Ref:1771130)   #10
tpayne
Rookie

tpayne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I remember his shop was very busy. The cars were meticulously prepared.

Thomas
Old 28 Nov 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1776624)   #11
lifeline-fire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Syresham
lifeline-fire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I worked for John for a few years. he ran my fathers cars in the Old British Saloon Car Championship, VW Golf etc etc. I sarted with John just as he was finishing the last ever spaceframe Stiletto for Nick and Tony Bridge, but I had known him for many years beforwe when we worked out of a wooden shed just of the Stoney Stanton Road in Coventry with Tom Sheppherd. His standards of prepeartion and presentation were second to none and he was a real task master and briliant engineer, I learnt so much from him, resenting it at the time as I was only 16, I soon realised there was only one way of doing something.....and that was Johns way.
When john closed the business he was a scrutineer for the BTCC and then vanished of the motorsport radar to run a hotel on the south coast.
If anyone has any specific questions then please PM me
Old 28 Nov 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1776782)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeline-fire
Hi I sarted with John just as he was finishing the last ever spaceframe Stiletto for Nick and Tony Bridge, but I had known him for many years beforwe when we worked out of a wooden shed just of the Stoney Stanton Road in Coventry with Tom Sheppherd.
Thanks for the info there Jim!

I'm wondering if this was the same Tom Shepherd that ran a quick Skoda special saloon in the late 70's and early 80's?
Old 28 Nov 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1776817)   #13
lifeline-fire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Syresham
Hi

Yes it is the same. Tom used to fabricate the chassis of all of the Maguire cars, they were all brazed by hand on a flat table. Tom would then drive the latest car usually to great effect, he also shared by Dads Golf in the TT at Silverstone in the early 80s winning the class.
Tom is still around these days running a very quick BMW in Britcar for David Leslie as well as a few historics. We ran David at Maguires in the Celnett Superprix at Brands Hatch, he shared James Sheads Ralt RT30 and went very well in it. John ran F3 cars for two years in 86 and 87 for James Shead, Mike Donovan, Pete Richings and John Hotchkis..who is now a partner in Red Line Oil Europe with me.

Jim
Old 28 Nov 2006, 17:25 (Ref:1776821)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeline-fire
Hi

Yes it is the same. Tom used to fabricate the chassis of all of the Maguire cars, they were all brazed by hand on a flat table. Tom would then drive the latest car usually to great effect, he also shared by Dads Golf in the TT at Silverstone in the early 80s winning the class.
Tom is still around these days running a very quick BMW in Britcar for David Leslie as well as a few historics. We ran David at Maguires in the Celnett Superprix at Brands Hatch, he shared James Sheads Ralt RT30 and went very well in it. John ran F3 cars for two years in 86 and 87 for James Shead, Mike Donovan, Pete Richings and John Hotchkis..who is now a partner in Red Line Oil Europe with me.

Jim
Great stuff!

Blimey yes I'd forgotten about the F3 efforts! How versatile was John's operation??!!

One of the F3 cars was backed by ACCO Controls or something, one of the Directors, either Donovan or Richings drove it didn't they?
Old 28 Nov 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1776841)   #15
lifeline-fire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Syresham
Donovan and Richings shared the ACCO car in 86. To be honest I do not remember one of them being a director. Richings had a big accident in the car at Silverstone ( In the days of catch fencing) and did not drive it again, so Donovan completed the rest of the season.
James Shead drove a similar car that year, we also ran an Ecosse C2 car for his father Don the following year or was it 88, that car was stunning.
We had some great fun running a variety of cars from MG Metro turbos for Vic Covey in both the domestic and some euro rounds, Group A Rover, Golfs, Prod Saloon cars, F3 and the C2.
John also built his own Artic unit from an old Argos unit. Again the attention to detail was just fantastic, we did it over a winter in the freezing cold, outside at the back of the unit. He sold that to BRM for the Le Mans project.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1777209)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks once again 'lifeline-fire' for assisting to make this a fascinating insight into the cracking national prep organisation that JMR was!

I guess that having prepared a Metro for Vic Covey, John Maguire was logival that they got together to run that Commodore in the '87 TT?

I wonder if that was a one off or whether both parties were considering running a car in the '88 BTCC?
Old 29 Nov 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1777226)   #17
lifeline-fire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Syresham
Hi

I do not recall us running Vic in a a Comadore in the TT. We were running Tim Harvey in the Istel Rover SD1 ex Rouse car in the British Saloon car Championship, and I dont think he even did the TT as he was concentrating on the British Championship.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2606107)   #18
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

maguire imp chassis no1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi you may be able to help me,i own chassis no1 maguire imp saloon and im trying to trace the cars history,could you prehaps help me thankyou mail mail at kcal2004@aol.com thankyou keith
Old 29 Dec 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2606111)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hi Keith

Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully fellow posters with special saloon knowledge can help you out.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2606140)   #20
driftwood
Veteran

i beleive Imp no 1 was sold to george coghill in scotland hillclimbing and racing 1979
highly likely tom shepard raced it first as demo car
car went from coghill to Mike Hanson had bad leg used hand clutch on sprints hillclimbs he sold car as he bought the Maguire skoda 1300 bda car
ernie larton prepped teh cars for Hanson
my father bought car winter 1980 collected from Lartons garage
raced 1 litre and 850 class with it
car was sold 86 7 ish ben boult i believe had it afterwards sprints hillclimbs
Old 29 Dec 2009, 20:30 (Ref:2606144)   #21
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

do you have picture s and i can post one thankyou
Old 29 Dec 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2606148)   #22
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

thankyou very very much for your help
Old 29 Dec 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2606151)   #23
driftwood
Veteran

I am looking at a foto of car now when i raced it 81 or 2 at Brands
car was blue when we had it
1 year had yellow roof
Iam sure blue when the others had it
are you in Uk or Eire
Old 29 Dec 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2606155)   #24
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

i am in n ireland a we place called garvagh,i dont know how to post pic on the forum,if you would be kind to give me your e mail address i can post you picture right away then you can put if on the forum if you wanted mine is kcal2004@aol.com thankyou keith
Old 2 Jan 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2607459)   #25
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

racing deep heads

Genuine racing heads if anyone has rare coventry climax hillman imp engine parts would love to hear from you,restoring ex racing imp at present,so items that are used will never be sold please pm me and thankyou in advance,the least bit of help will be greatly received

Keith scott

Last edited by maguire imp chassis no1; 2 Jan 2010 at 22:40. Reason: wrong spelling