Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2757985)   #1
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best route to Angouleme

What is the best way to fly to Angouleme?
I wont make it this year as I am off to Barcelona for a week tonight. But my leg is healing up nicely and I intend - come hell or high water - to get there next year. Hopefully with a car! but if not with a car, as a spectator. If it is as a spectator what is the best route?
Ryan air threatened to fly to Angouleme airport this year but that has fallen through and I dont think any other airlines fly there from GB so it looks like Limoges, La Rochelle or Bordeaux and then train to Angouleme? Has anyone here done it?
Old 12 Sep 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2758075)   #2
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
What is the best way to fly to Angouleme?
I wont make it this year as I am off to Barcelona for a week tonight. But my leg is healing up nicely and I intend - come hell or high water - to get there next year. Hopefully with a car! but if not with a car, as a spectator. If it is as a spectator what is the best route?
Ryan air threatened to fly to Angouleme airport this year but that has fallen through and I dont think any other airlines fly there from GB so it looks like Limoges, La Rochelle or Bordeaux and then train to Angouleme? Has anyone here done it?
Suggest Eurostar to Lille, then train to Angouleme. I was at Lille Station a few weeks ago and was surprised to see Angouleme shown as a destination. Not sure whether it is a daily service or not, and whether direct (or change elsewhere). But, Lille is now the second major SNCF hub (after Paris) in France. This leads me to think that the connection to Angouleme is not via Paris, and may even be direct.

If I can find my timetable (sad git that I am) I will give you more details, but at the moment I have mislaid it. Sorry.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2758123)   #3
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that, I also should have mentioned I am in N. Ireland. So Eurostar would involve a flight to get to London or wherever (although this might still be easier/cheaper). I can fly out of Belfast or Dublin quite easily, with Easyjet and Ryanair being the two cheapo airlines I would normally use. They both fly to the cities mentioned above but they are only once a week or so, so it becomes a bit of an expedition.
Oh well, such is life.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2758179)   #4
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an airport at Angouleme, I think. Hopefully Monsieur le Comte will see this thread, as he lives just down the road.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 08:03 (Ref:2759122)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd go the slow route and take the car. Brittany ferries from Portsmout (or Plymouth) to St Malo, drive to Limoges, sample the food there for an evening, then head to Angouleme. Just reverse the procedure for the return journey. You'd also be able to stock up on good French wine etc.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 08:07 (Ref:2759123)   #6
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scillitoe View Post
Suggest Eurostar to Lille, then train to Angouleme.
I got Eurostar Paris-Angouleme direct a few years ago - don't know if that's still current