Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Jul 2002, 07:15 (Ref:337097)   #126
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To think if the place had been improved as the cash came in QLD Disgraceway would never have been built. A row of tin sheds at the last minute was never going to cut it.The GRP A teams were never going to be happy rolling around in the dirt and ignored and once they were gone all of a sudden it's unprofitable No S*&% Sherlock. What a shame the best track never had the best facilities.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 19 Jul 2002, 07:20 (Ref:337100)   #127
Motor Ace
Rookie

Motor Ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there were more improvements on the way for that track. the sheds were just the start.and alot of it's down fall wasn't just the track. but i agree, it is a shame that lakeside had the problems it did.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 22:00 (Ref:338389)   #128
upstart
Rookie

upstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that the capital base of the operators had been eroded too badly by other bad business decisions and that there was no incentive to spend what money they had left. On top of this there was the major hassle they had with there only being enough room in the paddock area to accommodate the teams of the sixties and seventies and that the leviathon pantechs of the nineties were just too big.
For the sake of the circuit the teams should have adapted and not whinged. As it was they just adapted.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 00:37 (Ref:338473)   #129
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing which has many people's goat is the 'Gold Card' drive, whereby Lakeside would raise money, to match the Government grant, and fix the place up a bit. The money from the cards was supposed to go into a trust account, and if the thing fell over, the investors were to get their money back.

Oooerrrr, Mr Sakzeski?
Old 21 Jul 2002, 04:16 (Ref:338525)   #130
upstart
Rookie

upstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely that does not cause those who were burned by this to turn against Lakeside however? The circuit and its continued life must be the most important thing.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 06:21 (Ref:338530)   #131
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone else think that Upstart writes very simular to a former forum member Ray Bell???????????????????????

Last edited by Amaroo Park; 21 Jul 2002 at 06:22.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 06:07 (Ref:340313)   #132
Rotary
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Rotary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
Does anyone else think that Upstart writes very simular to a former forum member Ray Bell???????????????????????
One & the same I always thought.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 11:39 (Ref:340546)   #133
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
So i'm not the only one.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 23 Jul 2002, 11:50 (Ref:340555)   #134
Not Ray Bell
Rookie

Not Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he writes in a very similar style but what would I know because I am Not Ray Bell
Old 23 Jul 2002, 12:36 (Ref:340620)   #135
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course Queensland Raceway would never had been built if Lakeside had maintained it's facilities and invested in improving safety and spectator areas. Doh! It was the "rip off the sport that feeds you" attitude of the Lakeside Management that got QR going in the first place. The reality was that around 60% of the land at Lakeside was owned by the Pine Rivers Council since the late 1960's - and the council was prepareed to give it to the owners in return for a little earthworks (fill in the low lying areas that flooded when the dam was full (between the big shed and the track). But someone decided that they would outsmart the council and save some rates by not getting the land back - and they didn't fill the hole. This led to the situation where it would have been stupid to invest in a venue that you did not own 100% - that's why no money was ever poured back into Lakeside - short sighted money hungry lousy businessmen. At least QR has the sort of facility standards that the sport should expect in 2002. We should not have to setup our racecars in a cow paddock (or car park in the case of street circuits).
Old 23 Jul 2002, 23:27 (Ref:341229)   #136
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been keeping Ray abreast of what's been happening in this thread by email. In the interests of accuracy, he has asked me to post this:

"Some stories get blown out of all proportion.

When the lake was extended in 1965 or so there was a trade of land between
the Sakzewskis and the Council. It involved only an acre or so of land on
each side, and the reason it was never fixed was probably (you're right
here) the cost of survey and plan registration, and transfer fees.

But it was nothing to do with filling in holes, nothing to do with any huge
area, it involved the land on the inside of the kink at the end of the
straight, and only a narrow strip of it anyway.

Ray Bell"

Bob Marley
Old 24 Jul 2002, 22:36 (Ref:342016)   #137
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray Bell is correct in a number of areas now that I have checked the records for myself. When the dam wall was raised in 1965, all the land under the inundation line was compulsorily resumed by the council. This resumed area totals 9.71ha and is described as Lots 1,2 & 3 on RP 106289. This compares to the 35.2ha held as Freehold by the Lakeside operators. 9.71ha is 3.9acres in the imperial system. The three blocks included - Lot 1 which took in the lake between the shed and track and extended accross the circuit through the approach to Hungry to within a few metres of the Driver Training area - Lot 2,the main straight from just west of the control tower to about have way between the kink and the Carousel, - Lot 3, an area of 1.56ha west of the Carousel that was part of the runoff area and contained the loop road. All of these areas had to be raised above the inundation line before the title could be returned to the Lakeside operators. We all know that the only area where this was not done was the lake between the two access roads, between the shed and the track. I will concede that we can only surmise what motives were behind not completing these works. All this is rather immaterial now, but I think we should always remember where the responsibility for the loss of Lakeside rests, and assist the new "owners" where we can to preserve it in any way possible.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 00:12 (Ref:346786)   #138
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently all may not be lost.

Recently there was a CAMS track inspection, and the amount of things that need fixing may not be that great. Also, apparently, the council has set aside a lot of money to do the place up... and the voting is 8 for, 2 against (or something similar). They just need to pull their fingers out and get something happening for next season.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 00:43 (Ref:376009)   #139
Rotary
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Rotary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone heard anything lately?
Old 9 Sep 2002, 05:04 (Ref:376054)   #140
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Nope... the silence is fairly defening...

They've taken so long to reach any decision, that they've all but missed the ship for '03...
Old 9 Sep 2002, 06:49 (Ref:376103)   #141
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've given up, lost all hope. Can't see anything but a future were the track sits their 24/7 doing nothing all day.