Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Mar 2002, 09:57 (Ref:229108)   #51
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear that Ray. The council bought lots of stuff at the auction - about $88,000 worth - toilet blocks, pa system, the 18 garages, so they are obviously hoping to use the site for some "public" activity, but I suspect that it has little to do with Motor Racing, but more of a Historic Park with a Motoring/Motor Sport theme. But it will have to pay for itself - can't see the council wishing to pay for the entertainment of a few. Don't get me wrong - I used to race there - I'd like to see it preserved - but I think it has passed its use by date and has too much potential to kill people who are only out to have some fun. How will the council handle a fatality at their Motor History Fun Park?
Old 6 Mar 2002, 12:19 (Ref:229192)   #52
rx3racer
Rookie

rx3racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spook. With attitudes like yours what chance have we got?
Old 6 Mar 2002, 12:22 (Ref:229194)   #53
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"The home of Queensland Motorsport shouldn't be in this state."
- Where should it be, NSW?

The thing is that the council has never in its history recieved a reaction like it did when it purchased Lakeside and said it was closed. Thankfully, seemingly everyone bombarded them, and they have reassed the situation, or so it seems.

Unfortunatly they haven't posted the minutes of their meeting on the net yet, but put it this way- they were very positive, and basically said they would be prepared to have motorsport back at Lakeside.

Why the council would waste a few thousand dollars on a PA system that would only have a use for motorsport purposes, is beyond me. It wouldn't be worth the expense of pulling it all down and reinstalling it at another location. Then again, why they are persisting with those so called horrible toilet blocks that pollute the lake and kill the eels is way beyond me....

If they go to all of the drama of resurfacing the track etc, and the local users of the tracks and the associated clubs get together and do some working bees, it could be brought back online quick smart. There are a lot of people (some with substantial wallets bulging out their back pockets) who want racing to continue, and if it costs $xxxxx to replace some armco, then I think it could be achievable.

Insurance is a problem, but it is a problem everywhere. If Lakeside can't be bothered looking/paying, what hope do other tracks have? Shortly all we'll have is Indy and go-karts...umm, scratch that, just Indy
Old 6 Mar 2002, 12:26 (Ref:229198)   #54
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Catalina was still running sprints, hillclimbs and the like up until last year using the original 1961 track surface and fences so I don't see any probs with Lakeside.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 11:35 (Ref:229878)   #55
spook
Veteran

OK Rx3racer - Attitude is not my problem - the reality of what has happened is what you need to accept. As I said, I'd love to save the place, but the reality is that without bucketloads of cash (1-3 million dollars at least) it can't happen. As far as fat walleted white knights are concerned, they earned their money by not pouring it into lost causes. No one is so sentimental about Lakeside to put in even $1,000, let alone add a few zero's to that without some sort of return.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 11:42 (Ref:229881)   #56
spook
Veteran

Can anyone tell me the drivers and riders that have died at Lakeside? They should at least be remembered at some sort of permanent memorial. They all died doing what they loved to do. I remember Peter McCabe & Glynn Scott. Anyone else? This is not a morbid request - these people should not be forgotten!
Old 7 Mar 2002, 11:55 (Ref:229888)   #57
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People were hesitant to put money into Lakeside beacuse they were all bitten before with the QR situation.

There were people willing to pay top$ for the place, but without the Sakzewski's indempture, the council would have the place at their mercy. Plus the fact that the place couldn't really be developed (ie adding addition infrastructure, a hotel etc blahdy blah) discouraged a few fat walleted buyers.

But what do we want Lakeside for? Club/State level motorsport- the V8s or other class is beyond the place, most of us and the Shire accept that. But if you were putting a proposal into Council, what would you get them to spend their $1-3mil on?

I dunno, since QR came onto the scene, not too many people have been complaining about the safety and the lumps and the bumps at Lakeside...
Old 7 Mar 2002, 12:09 (Ref:229902)   #58
spook
Veteran

The ball is totally in the Councils court. It does not matter a fat slick what any of us want to see happen at Lakeside, if we can not make it pay for itself. What level of activity could be conducted that would even pay to keep up with the mowing, let alone the resurfacing of the track. And if you are going to resurface, don't just keep building on the bumps that are there - do a proper job and give us a racing surface with more than one line through every corner of the place. It's a great drivers track and was designed in the 1960's - QR was designed in the 90's and looking ahead to 2040. No one wanted another Lakeside at Ipswich. Surfers was nothing like Lakeside, but it was still a great track that we all miss. Who wants all racetracks the same - not the racers - just the trophy hunters.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 12:28 (Ref:229917)   #59
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Let's just pretent for a second that I've been in contact with the Mayor () and she told me that limited club level motorsport will be allowed on a resurfaced Lakeside, pending further submissions by the relevent motor racing bodies. What would you do? Continue to hound the council (we've done a bloody top job to get to the stage where we are...) or to sit back now and say "so long, and thanks for all the fish"?

Also, how often was the place mown when it had private owners? This may just be wishful thinking on my behalf, but I would think that the shire council would have a fair few tractors etc that could be diverted away from highway grooming once in a while to clean the place up.

"I dunno, since QR came onto the scene, not too many people have been complaining about the safety and the lumps and the bumps at Lakeside..."
- I'm not knocking QR, I love the place. Simply stating an observation...
Old 7 Mar 2002, 12:50 (Ref:229932)   #60
spook
Veteran

Maybe later Crash Test - too late tonight, but good news to have the Mayor on side. There is no such thing as a spare mower, even to the council - they all use fuel, require wages for the driver and maintenance to keep going. If sprints and lap dashes are going to keep a resurfaced Lakeside going the competitors will have to be prepared to pay a lot more than they pay at Morgan Park. Or are CAMS (that's we as members of CAMS Australia wide - just QLD can't afford it) going to put up a subsidy to retain the place. How about so many dollars per lap to make up the difference between what it can earn and what it costs to maintain (cut the grass), insure, repair, renovate, paint the rusty bridge, pump out the toilet tanks, poison the termites in the armco posts etc, etc. Bugger, here I go again - bloody reality bites!
Old 7 Mar 2002, 14:00 (Ref:229972)   #61
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mayor is on side? That may be what she tells some... I assure you, she is not to be trusted!

Spook, I think that's the whole list of car drivers... poor Peter McCabe and of course Glynn Scott. I don't recall any others...
Old 8 Mar 2002, 02:14 (Ref:230541)   #62
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think the last death at a car race meeting was a spectator who had a heart attack back in 2000... but you can hardly blame the track on that one.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 03:43 (Ref:230573)   #63
Ray Bell
Veteran

There was a pit crew hanging over the fence a few years back that got carted away when a car hit the fence... I thought he was in a bad way, does anyone know the outcome of that?
Old 8 Mar 2002, 05:46 (Ref:230613)   #64
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, that was at the 1993 ATCC when a Gemini spun and hit a bloke on the pit wall. There was a bit of talk about it last year around the traps actually, but it seems as though he survived it...
Old 8 Mar 2002, 06:02 (Ref:230616)   #65
Ray Bell
Veteran

It was pretty silent I thought, as if he'd not made it and nobody was saying...

1993? I would have thought 1995 or 1996 - You must be getting old!
Old 8 Mar 2002, 06:11 (Ref:230621)   #66
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I know I know.... I'm no longer a sarcastic teenager

But I am certain that it was 1993. We were watching the Ch 7 tape of the race (back in those days, they would show the Formula Brabham and Porsche Cup etc, on the same day, before the ATCC...) when there was a newsflash in the ad break about a terrible crash. Someone was saying that they had to revive him a few times, but he did pull through.
Old 17 Mar 2002, 09:31 (Ref:237205)   #67
spook
Veteran

Am I the only person who really cares about the future of Lakeside. Seems when I stop feeding this discussion it dies. So, what if anything is happening - does anyone know if anything is happening. If things are still progressing but behind closed doors for safety sake (secrecy - but why?), at least give us some hope. What's the point in the - "I know someone who knows someone who is close to the Mayor who said it is still a chance". How can we support the return of Lakeside to the sport if we don't know who to send our support too. I think I have an idea that might make the circuit viable as a council run venture - but who do I tell. The wrong people may see it if I post my ideas here - those people who want it closed for good.
Old 17 Mar 2002, 09:44 (Ref:237238)   #68
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
At the moment, a group led by the Motorcycle Sportsmen, including everyone else who has an interest in the circuit (ie, car racing club, kart clubs and general clubs that use the place for sprints etc) have been heavily lobbying the council with submissions and as much info as they need. Rest assured, there are an awful lot of people who have a real interest in the future of the circuit. If you feel the need to give them a hand, I'd say get in touch with the motorcycle sportsmen (I've forgotten the woman's name who is leading the crusade) and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 17 Mar 2002, 10:58 (Ref:237339)   #69
Ray Bell
Veteran

Spook... I would alternatively say that you should go to the Council yourself... but only to ask them who to contact. Make it plain you have a business plan that you believe will work and that will allow the Council to gain from it.

But don't disclose the plan, see what happens when you ask who to see...
Old 19 Mar 2002, 12:55 (Ref:239249)   #70
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Great News --> www.qrda.asn.au/welcome.html

What low-level motorsport is at this stage, I don't know...

Last edited by Crash Test; 19 Mar 2002 at 12:57.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 13:25 (Ref:239273)   #71
Ray Bell
Veteran

Still don't trust that woman, I warn you.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 07:14 (Ref:239916)   #72
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, better than nothing...still don't know what's going on...oh well.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 03:50 (Ref:240559)   #73
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had some people from the Pine Rivers Council in here the other day. Shame I didn't know that at the time, or I would have asked them - politely of course - :What gives...?"

Ray, stop sounding like an X-Files viewer...
Old 21 Mar 2002, 05:19 (Ref:240599)   #74
Ray Bell
Veteran

Never watched that once... so I don't know what you mean... all I know is that she lies. She doesn't stop lying, either...

Pats you on the back and gets the knife ready to stab you with the other... I have had dealings. I speak not of third hand stuff, personal dealings.

Last edited by Ray Bell; 21 Mar 2002 at 05:20.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 23:50 (Ref:268967)   #75
spook
Veteran

So any news from the council when something might happen. Anyone seen the place since the auction?. Is the council maintaining or doing any repairs to the track surface?. Are there any real moves to regain a track licence from CAMS or MA?.