Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Apr 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2442165)   #26
andybg40
Racer

England
Kent
andybg40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although, i think a persons honesty can be tried, depending on the seriousness of the outcome of what they may say.

Lewis will tell porkies for a single point, which to me is ridiculous and desperate. Whereas Williams bend the truth when it comes to steering columns...
Old 16 Apr 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2442168)   #27
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hang on, had he not already done this? I though Whitmarsh was in charge with Dennis moving to speacial projects such as road cars.

It's like when you hear some famous person has died that you thought was already dead e.g. when Kenny Everett died, my initial reaction was 'what, again?'
Old 16 Apr 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2442202)   #28
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I believe that Ron's departure is linked to ensuring a favourable outcome to the meeting in Paris on the 29th.

I would recommend anyone to read the last three stories here, which make anything else I might say superfluous, except to emphasise these words:
Quote:
When all is said and done, fans of the sport want to talk about racing and not about the political shenanigans that go on in the background in F1. If the day comes when the politics is more important than the sport, then the sport is no more.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2442222)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I believe that Ron's departure is linked to ensuring a favourable outcome to the meeting in Paris on the 29th.

I would recommend anyone to read the last three stories here, which make anything else I might say superfluous, except to emphasise these words:
Yes sir....
Old 16 Apr 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2442237)   #30
MikeManNZ
Racer

MikeManNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is linked to the 29th as well.

But I do find it intresting that both Ron Dennis and Jean Todt have cleared away their commitments to F1 teams a bare 6 months out from elections for the role of FIA president.

Maybe they see the way forward as replacing Max, lets hope at least.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2442249)   #31
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a very sad end to a magnificent career in Motor Racing. However Ron's achievements in creating the diverse group of companies that he has, the F1 teams enormous success and the employment that has been created, by far eclipse the achievements of those who have set out to banish him from the team and sport he clearly loves. The Hamilton's have proved themselves to be nothing more than shoddy bit players in the McLaren saga, grubbing around to protect their own interests against the man who made it all possible for them.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:00 (Ref:2442256)   #32
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManNZ View Post
I think it is linked to the 29th as well.

But I do find it intresting that both Ron Dennis and Jean Todt have cleared away their commitments to F1 teams a bare 6 months out from elections for the role of FIA president.

Maybe they see the way forward as replacing Max, lets hope at least.
Ron and Jean - now there's a double act.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2442265)   #33
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
MM?
Mclaren Mercedes. But you probably figured it out!

There just not enough time in the working day to work and keep typing out all these long names....

MM, LH, KR, MS(TGF) etc etc etc.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2442268)   #34
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways View Post
This is a very sad end to a magnificent career in Motor Racing. However Ron's achievements in creating the diverse group of companies that he has, the F1 teams enormous success and the employment that has been created, by far eclipse the achievements of those who have set out to banish him from the team and sport he clearly loves. The Hamilton's have proved themselves to be nothing more than shoddy bit players in the McLaren saga, grubbing around to protect their own interests against the man who made it all possible for them.
But there again, if its the Daily Mail reporting.....

I would take a lot of reports re: the H's and whatever they have said with a pinch of salt.

On the other hand, in this corporate world we live in (Not necessarily talking F1) you have to look after yourself. Because the corporates are in it for one this. Money. Not the employees.

(Although there are some good corporates [Google?], the majority that use Harvard style business practices are pretty horrid)
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2442269)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hear Lotus no longer makes F1 cars either.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2442278)   #36
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
I hear Lotus no longer makes F1 cars either.
There's also those bears doing stuff in the woods. And that Pope bloke being of a particular religious persuasion.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2442285)   #37
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh sorry - thick of me. I do dislike that mega corporate, controlling mentality. Its like they just can never tell the plain ordinary truth in plain ordinary English.

A teeny example - when Montoya hurt his shoulder (I think it was shoulder) on his motocross bike - for some unknown reason we had to have this absurd charade about it being a tennis accident. Why?

Every shred of what they do is regulated and polished to an unreal degree until it is no longer, er, real. A little while ago RD even tried to have an official company line on levity and practical joking - he may as well have appointed a special team to come up with some officially sanctioned humour.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2442287)   #38
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So long Ron! I will truly miss seeing you wearing your headset eyeing the monitors during every race. To me, you were truly a professional in every sense of the racing world. Your goal was always to win and I shared your physical pain when you lost. I was a McLaren fan for many many years (up until KR left), but I have always been a fan of yours. Best of luck.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2442311)   #39
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
So long Ron! I will truly miss seeing you wearing your headset eyeing the monitors during every race. To me, you were truly a professional in every sense of the racing world. Your goal was always to win and I shared your physical pain when you lost. I was a McLaren fan for many many years (up until KR left), but I have always been a fan of yours. Best of luck.
I'll second that... Ron is what made the team!
Old 16 Apr 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2442530)   #40
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
And here's me thinking that this had already happened! I must have been mistaken.
Same here. Kind of deja-vu...
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2442621)   #41
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ron obviously feels that this decision will optimize Mclaren's chances to continue their long stint in Formula 1. I do feel this decision is just a test however, we will have to wait and see what happens in the coming races and years.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2442625)   #42
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Devilsadvocate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to Ron, few in the sport have and will achieve the same level of success. Good luck with the road car - I fear you will need it!

Personally I don't think that Richard Lapthorne was just hanging around waiting for a job. Sure there may well be a case of having brought an announcement forward, but by no more than a few weeks at most. I think the timing isn't great; there are too many alternative reasons to speculate on, but I for one fully believe this was going to happen regardless of recent events.

The McLaren website says, "McLaren has for more than two years been engaged in a programme to develop a range of pure McLaren sports cars that will build on the great successes of the McLaren F1 and Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. As part of this plan, it is intended that McLaren Automotive, currently one of a number of companies within the McLaren Group, will become an independent company later this year. The launch date for the first model in the new range of McLaren sports cars will be in 2011."

So, having said all that, perhaps I should live up to my user name and ask does this mean the FIA can't call on Ron as witness at the WMSC? I believe they can't call on Dave so surely the same applies to Ron? Perhaps James Allen is right in his blog when he says "There is more to come from this."
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:13 (Ref:2442632)   #43
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsadvocate View Post
So, having said all that, perhaps I should live up to my user name and ask does this mean the FIA can't call on Ron as witness at the WMSC? I believe they can't call on Dave so surely the same applies to Ron? Perhaps James Allen is right in his blog when he says "There is more to come from this."
Uhn... Was Ron there with the guys ??
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:41 (Ref:2442645)   #44
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Maybe everyone at McLaren will have their contracts terminated until April 30th.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2442667)   #45
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
All I know, is I would love one of whatever car it is they end up producing!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2442807)   #46
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Congratulations to Ron, few in the sport have and will achieve the same level of success. Good luck with the road car - I fear you will need it!
Well, they have done all right with the F1 and the SLR. No reason they cannot have a decent road car department ongoing (with obvious forays in to GT racing).

Could even become a big challenger to Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, Pagini (?). I mean larger volumes rather than performance, the F1 is already pretty good performance wise! After all, the rich are staying rich in the current climate, so the demand is still there. How about another Rocket type car? That would be fun.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2442834)   #47
andybg40
Racer

England
Kent
andybg40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard a rumor a couple of years ago, and i'm sure that some of you will have heard this too.

It went along the lines of, Ron is looking to get out of F1, but not out of motorsport altogether. There was some kind of deal in the wings with Prodrive and Dave Richards. Basically, they would pretty much swap companies. Prodrive would become McLaren F1 and concentrate wholly on that, and Ron would have Prodrive but only run GT cars and not bother with the rallying.

I'm not saying that i believe this is happening now, as so much water has passed under the bridge since i heard this story, and i'm sure that the altercations of the last few years at McLaren will have contributed heavily in Ron's decision to move away from F1 completely. Although i did originally get told this story when the spygate scenario had just come to a head, so maybe Ron was considering his options back then.

It would be interesting if McLaren Automotive did go GT racing with one of the new cars they are producing.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2442899)   #48
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would just like to add my voice that Ron Dennis is a legend and very few will ever match his achievements in F1.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2443298)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What! Standing down?! Since when?