Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2442281)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso interview

I've not always liked him but one thing is he usually says exactly what he thinks, that is refreshing. I agree with him about the tire situation. Vettel was blamed for the crash but in reality it was a tire issue. This weekends race will again be a gamble. I enjoy seeing the best cars win but when silly rules are added to 'spice up' the racing it can be dangerous.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2442291)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's right. The idea of having two "more-different" tyres is alright, but they have to be safe and durable.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:52 (Ref:2442298)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As long as the tyre lasts one lap, it is durable enough to be used safely.

All teams have to use the same tyres so I don't see where he is coming from?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2442299)   #4
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
He's right. The idea of having two "more-different" tyres is alright, but they have to be safe and durable.
He is right in that it is getting silly, if they must run both types of tyres they have both got to work at some basic level, but suggesting that the Vettel/Kubica crash is the fault of the tyres is nonsense. The cars will have different grip levels as tyres wear, this is normal and always has been. The best drivers in the world are paid to drive at the limit of their equipment even as it changes lap by lap and race each other as they do so, I am not assigning blame to either of them but clearly between them they made a mess of it. The tyre rules are designed to bring the cars closer together on the track, and this is what they did, once the cars are close together it is up to the drivers to race without colliding.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2442303)   #5
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Are you saying the RK should have known SV's tyres were knacked, or that SV should have known that RK's tyres were good? How are the drivers supposed to know/remember what the other drivers have on their rims? If they are, who's fault was the crash?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2442326)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the point is that the speed differential can be too big for safe racing. The super soft especially is said to be virtually undrivable once worn, which might be within a handful of laps. Its just a bit too far.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2442335)   #7
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Are you saying the RK should have known SV's tyres were knacked, or that SV should have known that RK's tyres were good? How are the drivers supposed to know/remember what the other drivers have on their rims? If they are, who's fault was the crash?

The drivers do know the state of their own tyres and each driver is responsible for being able to stop and turn his own car whilst leaving room for the other. If they both do this they will race and not collide and this does not require them to know the state of the other guys tyres.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2442336)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jerez 1986 - too dangerous by half!
Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2442338)   #9
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its abit of a joke that neither of the two tyres they brought seem to be suited. Years gone by Melbourne was always a soft tyre race, but the last 2 years the Medium's have been the choice over a stint because Bridgestone havent developed a tyre that deals with a low grip surface as well as a high temperature working range.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2442341)   #10
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I can understand his fustration, but dont see his reasoning. As has been said, everyone is in the same boat. If they were out after 10 laps, CHANGE THEM! Bring in into your race plan.

Personally, i think it adds a nice bit of spice.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2442346)   #11
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Its abit of a joke that neither of the two tyres they brought seem to be suited. Years gone by Melbourne was always a soft tyre race, but the last 2 years the Medium's have been the choice over a stint because Bridgestone havent developed a tyre that deals with a low grip surface as well as a high temperature working range.

I agree, I think there is too much difference and/or Bridgstone are bringing the wrong ones but then I think the whole two tyre thing could be dropped with no detriment to anything. However having less grip than the other guy does not somehow oblige you to drive into him if you can't brake for the corner you braked too late, simples. Equally if you take a line through the corner that connects with another car you could reasonably expect to have been there then you will hit it won't you. The fact that Kubica came up fast behind Vettel was because of the tyres, the collision was because between them, whether one of them was to blame or it was 50:50 they got it wrong.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2442368)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Get at least one other tyre maker involved, allow the teams to choose. Then they can complain to the makers rather than whinge about the rules. Easy really.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2442369)   #13
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Perhaps we need to back track here for a moment and question why the 2 tyre rule in the first place. If one tyre compound is preferred, a team should be able to run that tyre for the entire race. I have never liked the idea of forcing a team to run more than one compound during a race and I’m pretty sure the drivers have never liked it either.

Having said that, it has forced teams to (re) think about different strategies … some teams have done better than others, and, though early in the season, has added to the drama.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2442373)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Why don't Bridgestone just turn up with all four compounds and take it from there ?

Yes they'll be a few more trucks,but that's better than all this moaning.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2442374)   #15
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Get at least one other tyre maker involved, allow the teams to choose. Then they can complain to the makers rather than whinge about the rules. Easy really.

Please, NO. I hated when there was too much riding on the tyre and we'd end up stating 3 different orders of finish ... one actual, and two others by their respective tyre manufacturers.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2442375)   #16
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I and, I suspect, most fans would go for this in principal but the powers that be won't. Grooved tyres were introduced (when we did have a tyre war) to reduce grip levels and cornering speeds. Now the tyre performance is cooked up between Bridgestone and the FAI to control speed which is why F1 was able to return to slicks. As soon as we go back to competing tyre manufacturers cornering speeds will go through the roof again.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2442376)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Please, NO. I hated when there was too much riding on the tyre and we'd end up stating 3 different orders of finish ... one actual, and two others by their respective tyre manufacturers.
Agreed.This is not the FIA Formula One Tyre championship.Bridgestone should turn up with all four compounds.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2442383)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You miss my point. Currently its all about the FIA controlling things, which is good for them because they can say "we tell you what to do thus you can't suggest others have an advantage". Bull****.

The fact is if these were racing teams instead of manufacturers they'd be glad to have the chance to use whatever advantage they can get. Instead they can use the accounts to show how well they did based on dollar per point.

Racing or auditing?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2442401)   #19
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Are you saying the RK should have known SV's tyres were knacked, or that SV should have known that RK's tyres were good? How are the drivers supposed to know/remember what the other drivers have on their rims?
If you are coming up from behind 2s/lap quicker, you sure know the guy in front has a tire (or other) problem. And that even in case your radio is broken so the team cant tell you.

And re 2 tire manufacturers... please no... we dont need a repeat of USGP.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2442419)   #20
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what you get with artificially 'spicing up' the racing.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2442520)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
This is what you get with artificially 'spicing up' the racing.
Great action ?

If we can have more of the same at somewhere like Barcelona,then I'm all for it!
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2442601)   #22
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel it's ok to have two different tires but they should both be useful. In Australia the soft tires were useless. They were qualifying tires. If the tires are good for ten laps then I say it's ok but to be done in 5 or six laps, that's a joke. In the first race the tires had to be babied to last 13 laps. In Malaysia the tires both worked and the racing ( short though it was) was still good. If teams can capitilize on advantages then that is good. Some cars are easier on tires so they do better with the softer option. If no one likes one of the tire options and struggle to get performance from them then they are useless.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:39 (Ref:2442643)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Agreed.This is not the FIA Formula One Tyre championship.Bridgestone should turn up with all four compounds.
Sorted..
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:43 (Ref:2442649)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Sorted..
You'd think it would be that easy wouldn't you.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:25 (Ref:2442673)   #25
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the soft tyres should be faster for a limited amount of time, at the moment they seem to have 1 - 2 laps advantage and then are worse. Having a tyre that can only be competitive for that amount of time makes the safety car too important to the outcome of races. The safety car shouldn't be a major aspect of race strategy, yes take advantage of it when possible but not have a situation where they plan for it. All just IMO of course