Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jun 2013, 19:05 (Ref:3256500)   #76
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bob, I just do not understand what is wrong with the facility ? It looks fine on TV and the racing is always good, are the teams complaining ?
Old 1 Jun 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3256502)   #77
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I vote to keep the same venue for as long as possible. It is a formula that works very well. I definitely oppose any alternating with the US. Canada should be present every year.
Precisely... It's a formula, just leave it alone...
Old 1 Jun 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3256511)   #78
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Bob, I just do not understand what is wrong with the facility ? It looks fine on TV and the racing is always good, are the teams complaining ?
I assume Bernie is, as its not some shiney new money no object circuit designed by his favorite architect.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3256538)   #79
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There's really nothing terribly wrong with the facility, especially from a fan's point of view. It's a short ride by metro from the downtown hotels, it's a beautiful setting, the bleacher seats are fine and the Montreal F1 babes staffing the souvenir stands and working as promotional girls are world class.

However, as a temporary circuit located on an island, the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve lacks the space and upscale level of team facilities at newer, purpose-built F1 tracks like Shanghai, Bahrain and Austin. The teams have complained not so much about the garages, but more about the team office, lounge and food facilities behind the garages.

As can be seen in this photo, the team areas are crammed in between the garages and the former (1976) Olympic rowing basin. A few years ago, they expanded the team areas by extending temporary buildings floating on pontoons in the rowing basin. They also improved the team cooking and feeding facilities. It was an improvement but still not equal to facilities elsewhere. Furthermore, the teams obviously can't bring their own enormous and luxurious motor homes and temporary buildings like they do at European tracks.

Bernie has also said that the control tower needs to be replaced or improved and the maybe the press facilities. He has also mentioned something about a "hospital" (I guess meaning an upgraded on-site medical facility). But a "hospital" seems unnecessary to me. An injured driver is no more than a 60-second helicopter flight away from a world-class hospital in the city. I think the track was resurfaced fairly recently but Montreal winters are really hard on asphalt.

An athletic facility that has been around for awhile needs upgrades and renovations. The time to negotiate these things is when a new event contract is up for renewal. It seems like they have almost settled on the terms of the annual subsidy for the sanctioning fee. But I'm not surprised that the issue of renovations and who pays for them is proving to be a more difficult issue.

The fans, the drivers, the teams and most of the local population love the Grand Prix. I hope Bernie keeps his requests reasonable and so allows Montreal to keep it.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3256552)   #80
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
It looks wonderful to my eyes ...
Old 2 Jun 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3256574)   #81
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It looks wonderful to my eyes ...
Jeremy, come on up next week. There are still tickets and hotels available. I'll buy you a beer and introduce you to the Montreal F1 babes.

Old 2 Jun 2013, 01:57 (Ref:3256585)   #82
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I would like that Bob !

My rather hot looking German girlfriend would not like the idea of the other bit..

One day I would like to meet you up there though..
Old 4 Jun 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3257687)   #83
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No news on an extension, Montreal or Interlagos.

Brazil waiting as well for this weekend? It sounded like they were just short of the announcement a few pages ago.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3258048)   #84
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The only thing they need the extra room for is to fit all the egos that turn up for one weekend. It really isn't worth spending the money I wouldn't have thought.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3258050)   #85
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having looked at a number of aerial shots of the track, where are they supposed to find this extra room? Behind the existing garages is the rowing basin from the '76 Olympics and on the other side of the track from the pits is a lake. I suppose they could knock down the garages, build new ones with offices and catering facilities above.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3258118)   #86
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Having looked at a number of aerial shots of the track, where are they supposed to find this extra room?
It's true that there really is no space to expand. It may be more a question of the quality of the facilities. Having never seen the inside, it's hard to say. I did read a report that they had a problem with mildew in some of the temporary buildings. So maybe they want new, higher quality temporary buildings that can be put up just for the race.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3258280)   #87
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
It's true that there really is no space to expand. It may be more a question of the quality of the facilities. Having never seen the inside, it's hard to say. I did read a report that they had a problem with mildew in some of the temporary buildings. So maybe they want new, higher quality temporary buildings that can be put up just for the race.
Probably. The track does look wonderful, but does it live up to the Formula 1 top tier? Probably not... some of those buildings and grandstands are in need of some revamps for sure. :/
Old 6 Jun 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3258335)   #88
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Revamp why?
Old 6 Jun 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3258508)   #89
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's funny but I guess Bernie wants it.
Old 6 Jun 2013, 15:30 (Ref:3258555)   #90
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to be honest i want it too. the history of that island is a testament to Canadian engineering/architecture abilities in the 60's and 70's and i dont see why it cant be again.

too often we let our landmarks decline over time and thats not right so sometimes you need someone to give you a kick in the pants in order for there to be any incentive to not just modernize but also keep up with the times.
Old 6 Jun 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3258576)   #91
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
to be honest i want it too. the history of that island is a testament to Canadian engineering/architecture abilities in the 60's and 70's and i dont see why it cant be again.

too often we let our landmarks decline over time and thats not right so sometimes you need someone to give you a kick in the pants in order for there to be any incentive to not just modernize but also keep up with the times.
Exactly. The island is a testament to the 60s and 70s architecture made popular by Expo '67. I think they should have let Montreal go a long time ago. It's a hard thing to say because I really love the track, more than COTA, the only other place I've been to to watch an F1 race. But it seems as though everything now has to be a 3.0-3.5 mile Tilkedrome with ultramodern architectural masterpieces for layout and grandstands (take Yas Marina or Shanghai, for example), and Montreal just stands out like a sore thumb... a 2.7 mile tight, narrow, temporary track not designed by a German man with the initials of H.T. And there's not that much room to expand... the track is right on the water as is and does curve in on itself at points. Also, why showcase architecture from the 60s and 70s like it's the best you can do? Build new, develop, update... especially if Bernie tells you to.
Old 6 Jun 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3258587)   #92
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
whoa, hold up there.

i dont think they should replace the track or move it but rather update the look of it in keeping with the new aesthetic of Montreal. Expo 67 and the 76 Olympics had a profound effect on how Montreal developed through the 80's and 90's and i would simply like to see the various levels of Gov't pitch in to rebuild it to a level where it can have a similar effect on that city's design concepts for the next 20-30 years.

i think thats the point of gov't funded construction.
Old 6 Jun 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3258627)   #93
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Exactly. The island is a testament to the 60s and 70s architecture made popular by Expo '67. I think they should have let Montreal go a long time ago. It's a hard thing to say because I really love the track, more than COTA, the only other place I've been to to watch an F1 race. But it seems as though everything now has to be a 3.0-3.5 mile Tilkedrome with ultramodern architectural masterpieces for layout and grandstands (take Yas Marina or Shanghai, for example), and Montreal just stands out like a sore thumb... a 2.7 mile tight, narrow, temporary track not designed by a German man with the initials of H.T. And there's not that much room to expand... the track is right on the water as is and does curve in on itself at points. Also, why showcase architecture from the 60s and 70s like it's the best you can do? Build new, develop, update... especially if Bernie tells you to.
Why let Montreal go? It produces far better racing than those Tilkedromes you mentioned.
Old 6 Jun 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3258700)   #94
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Why let Montreal go? It produces far better racing than those Tilkedromes you mentioned.
No, no, no! I completely agree! I'm just trying to somewhat justify the position that Bernie (curse him) has put the whole organization into regarding track renovation. I think the track is nice, but it isn't simply up to the standards of Formula 1 racing... that's why he's demanding renovation. I'd keep it, personally, but I'm trying to give you the reason why some others wouldn't.
Old 6 Jun 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3258746)   #95
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
No, no, no! I completely agree! I'm just trying to somewhat justify the position that Bernie (curse him) has put the whole organization into regarding track renovation. I think the track is nice, but it isn't simply up to the standards of Formula 1 racing... that's why he's demanding renovation. I'd keep it, personally, but I'm trying to give you the reason why some others wouldn't.
As far as racing goes it's more than up to the standards. The teams themselves are happy with the garages but would like to see better office and catering facilities. However, what I think Bernie wants is more room for the ephemera that now accompanies F1.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3258777)   #96
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As far as racing goes it's more than up to the standards. The teams themselves are happy with the garages but would like to see better office and catering facilities. However, what I think Bernie wants is more room for the ephemera that now accompanies F1.
You can be sure of that !
Old 7 Jun 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3258791)   #97
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait, is Bernie blackmailing Monaco for improvements? Montreal is in the same class - lacking space, unique, and the teams don't mind going because it has become part of F1. If no one is ready to play ball with Bernie or taking him seriously, then nothing happens and it's not ideal but it's not going away... until that imaginary New York race becomes a reality and takes away that sweet primetime June TV slot for European viewers.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3258930)   #98
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
Wait, is Bernie blackmailing Monaco for improvements? Montreal is in the same class - lacking space, unique, and the teams don't mind going because it has become part of F1. If no one is ready to play ball with Bernie or taking him seriously, then nothing happens and it's not ideal but it's not going away... until that imaginary New York race becomes a reality and takes away that sweet primetime June TV slot for European viewers.
I tell you, Monaco is a different animal, an exception in F1. And Bernie is more than happy to have a race there.
Old 8 Jun 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3259353)   #99
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
From today's Globe & Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle12433564/

Future of Canadian Grand Prix clouded in uncertainty
SEAN GORDON
MONTREAL — The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Jun. 07 2013, 7:54 PM EDT
Last updated Saturday, Jun. 08 2013, 8:29 AM EDT

The drivers love it, so do the sponsors, and the legions of business folk who can make a tourist season’s worth of profits in one week.

And the ticket-buying public? Fans flock to Montreal for Formula One.

About 300,000 will turn up over the course of three days of racing that culminates in Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix, which takes place before a packed house, rain or shine...

...Ecclestone wants improvements to the creaking infrastructure at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve – it’s broadly considered among F1 watchers as a basic condition to a long-term deal.

The public estimate for the costs of revamping the mould-infested paddocks and the aging control tower is roughly $27-million, although sources who have seen the plans suggest that’s a decidedly conservative figure.

That the cost could be spread over a decade is sure to work in Dumontier’s favour as he tries to drum up the funds.

So while Ecclestone may be willing to accept a slight increase on his annual allotment of public money – F1 is exceedingly adept at obtaining money from governments, which has the advantage of being guaranteed – the true cost of extending the deal could conceivably require a total investment of $200-million or more over the next 10 years.

It’s a lot of money, but if Ecclestone can’t find it in Canada, he won’t hesitate to look elsewhere.

“If Montreal cannot pay the required fee, then its popularity among the teams will count for little. Previously, the race was strategically significant as the only Grand Prix in North America, but with the introduction of the United States GP in Austin [Tex.] in 2012, it has lost that … its $15-million fee is considerably lower than the average $27-million in 2011, and is lower even than other historic races such as Silverstone [England]. In that context, its popularity alone may not be enough to save it,” Caroline Reid, the editor of Formula Money, said in an e-mail interview.

Then, there’s the looming presence of a Grand Prix event slated for New Jersey...
Old 8 Jun 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3259366)   #100
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A large case can definitely be made for improved facilities at the track - I explored the garages, control tower and other behind the scenes areas during the Champ Car races of a few years ago, and they all seemed incredibly cramped and beaten down back then.

What the aerial photos don't show is that most of those structures are temporary - the white canvas are basically tents. The only permanent structures are the garages themselves (which are dingy old concrete boxes), the control tower which has a few floors of office and the press conference room in the basement - all very tiny and cramped. It's actually hard to believe that F1 or any major event can fit itself into those quarters.. but they've managed for a long time. A large amount of 'tent city' is constructed around those to make media areas, team quarters, luxury suites, etc...and that's all the white you see in the photos.

There really is not room to make things any larger - but they could convert some of the temporary structures to actual buildings and improve what is there. There is also a possibility of locating other facilities to a different part of the track and providing transportation links (for example, support race paddocks are at the opposite end of the circuit with a road between them). The occasional fresh coat of paint would probably help too...

Though the island is used as a *motorsports* track only once (formerly twice) per year, it is used throughout the summer as a recreational facility, and many events are held nearby. I wonder if they could develop a structure that could serve use to multiple needs...

Another part of the problem at the moment is that both local and federal government are engulfed in several financial scandals... the optics of giving millions of dollars to an organization run by someone due to stand trial for bribery, fraud, etc. could be terrible... While I think all levels of government would like to keep the race and take credit for it when it comes to town, an association with Bernie is the last thing any politician needs.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes