Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 Nov 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3779080)   #1
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Neil Howard Stages 2017

Had another cracking day at Oulton Park on Saturday for the NHStages, which was also the first round of this seasons MSN Circuit Rally Championship.

As always with SVR's its great to be able to get so up close with modern cars to have a good look at them and also still being able to see the older cars being given a proper run.

Only slight negative of the day was there seamed to be a long time between stage changes, much more than what was stated in the time table which lead to a bit waiting round.

Anyway here's my vid from the day if anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67jDhVdVMZU
Old 8 Nov 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3779440)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They should call it:

"the Rally of 1000 chicanes"
Old 8 Nov 2017, 12:51 (Ref:3779451)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
You've got to have chicanes on these rallies to break up the straights - for example at Brands last year we were on the limiter in 6th on the start/finish straight even with the chicanes. The cars just aren't geared for long straights.

From what I've seen of this event the sections of 'loose' surface that were used were quite rough in places and some of the cars were suffering a bit but it always looks to be a well run and supported event (bit too far from home for us).
Old 8 Nov 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3779472)   #4
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like a decent mix of cars there, love that pale blue Fiesta R5, looks like the car that Derek McGarrity had for sale earlier in the year.

My preference will always be a "traditional" stage rallies, but nice to see some loose sections incorporated in the layout and there is no doubt that circuit based rallies are certainly a lot less hassle to follow!
Old 8 Nov 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3779526)   #5
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just had a quick check, and you are correct tbtstt it is the car that McGarrity had up for sale.

As for the chicanes, as Bert said, rallycars in general arn't geared for the straights and standing and listening you can hear how short geared they are. Also they help ensure that the cars don't breach the stage average speed reg.

For a lot of people, me included, standing in a forest watching rallying is just not practical for various reasons so SVR's are a very welcome way to get to see these cars run.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3779583)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think my point was not that chicanes are there, they alkways have been, but there do sseom to be more of them now that's all.

Donington last year must have had 10 or 15 of the bloody things.

I just wish they would be a bit more creative!! But I guess they are hampered by the venue
Old 9 Nov 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3779594)   #7
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Just had a quick check, and you are correct tbtstt it is the car that McGarrity had up for sale.
Did wonder if M-Sport has produced more than one in that colour! If I recall correctly was the first Evo2 specification R5 produced by M-Sport.

Must confess (apologies, as I am drifting slightly off topic here), but I am huge fan of the R5 class. I know they are far from cheap, but I find them entertaining to watch and it's great to see most National Championships adopting them as their premier rally car class: plus they slot into the WRC structure as well.

Quote:
As for the chicanes, as Bert said, rallycars in general arn't geared for the straights and standing and listening you can hear how short geared they are. Also they help ensure that the cars don't breach the stage average speed reg.
Watching a rally car banging off the limiter down a wide tarmac straight makes for rather boring viewing as well: I would much rather see the cars being thrown around a bit (even if it just round a couple of plastic barriers or cones).

Quote:
For a lot of people, me included, standing in a forest watching rallying is just not practical for various reasons so SVR's are a very welcome way to get to see these cars run.
Forest rallying is a fantastic spectacle, but following "traditional" stage rallies can be hard work! As you say, it's a chance to see these cars running and, for some of the classic car owners, is probably a preferable option.