Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Mar 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3893190)   #1226
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes I thought so.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3893206)   #1227
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Haven't the government already announced more than once that they intend to have zero import tariff on ex-EU goods?

Yes, that is certainly what Mrs May and those loyal to her have said, but that is not - or so I believe - set in stone, and would form part of the negotiations that will commence after Brexit actually happens.

I also believe that the thinking is that trade with the EU will be tariff free providing that the EU reciprocate, but who knows what will actually happen if the hard liners in the Tories take over the government, or worse still, we have a Labour administration!
Old 25 Mar 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3893208)   #1228
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A point to contemplate here : how many times in the last 9 months have 'repeated government statements' been reneged without even a backward glance ?
So many 'firm undertakings' have been broken by our own government that I find it hard to believe anything I hear from Mrs May.

Given the choice between a clear objective/clear solution and spending a vast amount of effort engineering a complete c++k-up, May unerringly goes for the latter.
Despair !
Nick
Old 25 Mar 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3893210)   #1229
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You could be forgiven if you believed it was done on purpose.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3893237)   #1230
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
He got slated on social media - i.e. type of car = proof of the elite out of touch with the masses.

Perhaps he should of turned up in a secondhand car of German origin.

Seems to me that's what everyone on the road drives these days.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 12:52 (Ref:3893239)   #1231
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Amazing what some people will complain about on social media. Never mind his policies, let's criticise him for what he drives. Doubtless those are the same people who criticise a woman in the limelight for what she wears. As if it matters ......
As good a reason as any not to read the majority of SM......

My immediate neighbours (who wholesale Xmas ornaments) were cursing about hold ups at Calais due to the customs work to rule. One truck bringing goods to them took 10hrs to get onto a boat the other day, and nearly all have been delayed. Looking at P&O updates, though, seems all free flowing today, so maybe the delayed ‘departure’ date has had an affect.....
Old 25 Mar 2019, 13:06 (Ref:3893244)   #1232
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
A friend of mine was on The March. He reckons Brexit will decimate his business as he sells a lot to Europe at present, and imports a lot from there too. Tarrifs and charges either way will make him uncompetitive.

He has a lot of items in from WTO countries for repair, and has trouble persuading customs that they are "repair" not "purchases". He's worried that this will happen with his European customers too.

I report this purely as a response to the question often asked here "what are the advantages of EU membership?"

Actually I've just thought of the knock on effect. If he doesn't make as much money maybe he won't want awning space from me

So are his competitors in Europe?
Old 25 Mar 2019, 13:11 (Ref:3893245)   #1233
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
He got slated on social media - i.e. type of car = proof of the elite out of touch with the masses.

Well at least it's British (assuming that ownership has not yet changed hands officially.)

Better still if it's an old one.

I suppose a 3 wheeler with a Union Jack on it would send too much of a mixed message?
Old 25 Mar 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3893260)   #1234
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
This just about sums up the whole sorry state of affairs for me. You may not be able to view it if you don't have a Facebook acc.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=648891538901427
Old 25 Mar 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3893274)   #1235
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just got a film about customising a Hot Wheels van, Tim. Followed by one about a wrestling grandad and a fish that swallowed a woman's arm!

I blame Brexit. Clearly the MSM are fixing the FB feed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Mar 2019, 15:12 (Ref:3893279)   #1236
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
This sums it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Brexit_2.PNG  
Old 25 Mar 2019, 16:19 (Ref:3893284)   #1237
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
This just about sums up the whole sorry state of affairs for me. You may not be able to view it if you don't have a Facebook acc.
Worked for me. Good job they didn't try and bleep out the bad language....
Old 25 Mar 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3893292)   #1238
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter M, I believe that you may subscribe to the Daily Torygraph. If so, I think that Bojo wrote a column today about his current thoughts on the Brexit dilemma.

According to the radio this morning, he is supposed to have contradicted himself in the last two paragraphs of the column. I wonder whether you could reproduce those two paragraphs?

Thanks in anticipation, or not as the case may be.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:00 (Ref:3893294)   #1239
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Will try but I didn't read it.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojo DT
How will we be able to take back control of our laws? Will we really do free trade deals? And can we really go on with a negotiating team that has so resoundingly failed? If she cannot give that evidence of change – she should drop the deal, and go back to Brussels, and simply set out the terms that so many on both sides – remainers and leavers – now believe are sensible.

Extend the implementation period to the end of 2021 if necessary; use it to negotiate a free trade deal; pay the fee; but come out of the EU now – without the backstop. It is time for the PM to channel the spirit of Moses in Exodus, and say to Pharaoh in Brussels – LET MY PEOPLE GO.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 25 Mar 2019 at 17:04. Reason: Updating info as requested.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3893298)   #1240
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After 3 years, does Boris still not realise that you don't get an implementation period without the backstop as the EU won't agree to it, or is he simply that dishonest that he doesn't care?
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3893300)   #1241
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Bojo does spout a load of spherical things!

And thanks, Peter, for going to the trouble.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3893302)   #1242
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCherry View Post
After 3 years, does Boris still not realise that you don't get an implementation period without the backstop as the EU won't agree to it, or is he simply that dishonest that he doesn't care?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Bojo does spout a load of spherical things!

And thanks, Peter, for going to the trouble.
In fairness you both appear to have missed the bit about leaving the EU now, or "crashing out" in some folks terms. We can do that on Friday.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3893303)   #1243
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Aren't all MPs that dishonest that they don't care. His sister is nice though
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3893308)   #1244
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

He puts me in mind of a couple of fellow students when I was at school. They were academically brilliant, but completely lacking in common-sense.

If any one saw the documentary made about the FCO last year when he was F Sec., he has great difficulty in retaining important data when briefed and then reproducing it. And so he just waffles, and says the first thing that comes to mind. Reminds me very much of the current incumbent of the White House.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3893311)   #1245
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
In fairness you both appear to have missed the bit about leaving the EU now, or "crashing out" in some folks terms. We can do that on Friday.

Far from it, Peter.

However, he just wants to cherry pick and the EU have told us that is a no-no, and we know that the only choices at this moment are leaving with no deal, and therefore one would imagine that there would be no deals to negotiate during the implementation period that wouldn't even exist, or we have to accept the backstop.

I suppose that there is the outside chance that the EU will compromise on the backstop, but somehow I doubt it now.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:32 (Ref:3893312)   #1246
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=648891538901427
Yup, no matter which side you sit that was pretty bloody accurate.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3893315)   #1247
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Far from it, Peter.

However, he just wants to cherry pick and the EU have told us that is a no-no, and we know that the only choices at this moment are leaving with no deal, and therefore one would imagine that there would be no deals to negotiate during the implementation period that wouldn't even exist, or we have to accept the backstop. .
What if we want them to say no and we go anyway.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3893320)   #1248
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What if we want them to say no and we go anyway.

Which is not what he is proposing.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:48 (Ref:3893321)   #1249
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You may need to read the entire article.
Old 26 Mar 2019, 06:53 (Ref:3893412)   #1250
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, is it just me, or is everybody even more confused this morning...….

There was apparently a survey last month that came up with the fact that 81% of us are dissatisfied with the way our government have handled the procedure, and 7% were satisfied. Presumably 12% of answers were too abusive to be counted!

That survey was supposedly in February. I wonder what the result would be today....

And I see Brussels have 'warned' about the fact that even if we have visa free movement, in a no-deal scenario passport control will require stamping and dialogue as experienced in other parts of the world. I think that is the least of our worries!