Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2856090)   #51
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Renault gave Piquet jr a second chance for being equally off the pace in his first season.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that Petrov will be WDC one day, but he's proved that he's capable of doing a good job. I understand the cut throat buisness of modern day Formula 1 but i also hate seeing a decent prospect not being given the oppertunity because time wouldn't allow it.
The problems for the new drivers is greatly magnified by the lack of testing currently allowed, it creates massive barriers to new talent.
Just ask Micky the Shoe.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2856096)   #52
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The problems for the new drivers is greatly magnified by the lack of testing currently allowed, it creates massive barriers to new talent.
Just ask Micky the Shoe.
Couldn't agree more. Hamilton, Kubica and Vettel were three of the last young drivers to enter the sport with a ton of testing behind them. Since the testing ban, none of the new guys has been able to make the impact that those three did.

Coincidence?
Old 30 Mar 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2856129)   #53
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is part of it. But it depends on many other factors too. Some drivers just come into F1 too fast for instance.

Also, the likes of Kubica and Hamilton terrified their highly respected teammates immediately on entering the sport. Regardless of testing, that is still pretty special.

Piquet Jr was probably only given a second chance to prevent a bit of bribery. Failed in the end though! But Petrov was nowhere near as bad as Piquet.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 01:55 (Ref:2856161)   #54
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Also, the likes of Kubica and Hamilton terrified their highly respected teammates immediately on entering the sport. Regardless of testing, that is still pretty special.
I think probably none more so than Vettel it terms of putting the wind up the BMW drivers, Kubica and Heidfeld, when he first ran (Turkey 2006, at age 19years and one month) as a #3 (in the days when the #3 would use the spare car in Friday practice. Vettel was blindingly quick from the outset, and in FP2 he ended up quickest of all and on top of the time sheets, some 2.5 seconds quicker than 17th fastest and best BMW race driver Kubica.

In the race the best finish in Turkey that year by one of the regular BMW drivers was 12th and lapped

I think at the next (Italian) GP Vettel was fastest overall, topping the time sheets in both of the Friday Practice sessions. In fact at every GP to the end of the season, neither Heidfeld or Kubica ever came closer than half a second to Vettel's FP times. (I know Friday practice is not necessarily that meaningfull, due to race drivers saving engines or potentially working on a different programme, but it is still an impressive performance for someone 18 or just 19 years old at the time
Of course they (RK and NH) were both probably quite relieved when BMW released Seb from testing with BMW to take up the race seat at STR.

From the humorous side of it in fact he was a bit too quick on that first morning of F1 practice action in Turkey..... he broke the pitlane speed limit on his way out of the pits for the first time, and got the customary fine for it. Officially IIRC he was 9 seconds into his career! It cost him 1000 Euros anyway.

Last edited by E.B; 31 Mar 2011 at 02:03.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 05:44 (Ref:2856200)   #55
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
not that brill bar Malaysia, Hungary qual and the last race holding off Alonso) and if they hadn't needed the cash, he rightly would've been out on his ear...
He also did well in Turkey by holding off Alonso. Alonso took a plunge with about 3 laps to go and picked up a flat, or the other way around. I cant remember, but it was a great example early in the season that he was resiliant under pressure!
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2856213)   #56
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
He also did well in Turkey by holding off Alonso. Alonso took a plunge with about 3 laps to go and picked up a flat, or the other way around. I cant remember, but it was a great example early in the season that he was resiliant under pressure!
That was Malaysia, wasn't it?
Old 3 Apr 2011, 01:50 (Ref:2857606)   #57
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malaysia he was having a go at Hamilton and Hamiltn ended up weaving all over the start finish straight
Old 13 Apr 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2862935)   #58
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now this is what you call class

Quote:
Formula One driver Nick Heidfeld has written an open letter to Robert Kubica wishing him a speedy recovery from the injuries that gave the German his position this season.

Kubica was replaced by Heidfeld on the Renault team after suffering multiple injuries during a rally crash in February. He also dedicated his third-place finish at the Malaysian Grand Prix to the Polish driver.

"I printed your logo on the front of my helmet, and the Polish flag on the side. I wanted you to see that and to let you know that I'm thinking of you," Heidfeld said on his personal website. "I wanted to show your fans that you are a part of Formula 1 and of this team. This 3rd place is also yours!"

Kubica underwent seven hours of surgery to save his right hand before operations on his shoulder and leg, and later on his elbow.

"During the race I had often been thinking of you. Crossing the finish line, happiness totally flooded my head," Heidfeld said. "I know what you are thinking right now: 'Lotus-Renault has built such a wonderful car this year. I want to get back as soon as possible and drive it!' You can do it. I wish you all the best for your rehabilitation."

Heidfeld, who was enlisted by Renault on short notice, has 13 career podiums but remains winless.

Defending F1 champion Sebastian Vettel of Germany has won the opening two races this season.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2862940)   #59
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Now this is what you call class
I bet Robert is grateful!

Do you think he checks Nick's website regularly?
Old 13 Apr 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2862969)   #60
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Credit to Heidfeld. Almost brought a tear to my eye. But then I am drunk.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 22:54 (Ref:2863075)   #61
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Credit to Heidfeld. Almost brought a tear to my eye. But then I am drunk.
Heidfeld is a class act.... as a driver and especially as a person.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2863558)   #62
Pete123
Rookie

United Kingdom
Somerset
Pete123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He really is a class act....Watching FP1 from china, He is the first person I have seen bin it into the barrier then pick up all the pieces and tidy them into a neat pile
Old 15 Apr 2011, 11:01 (Ref:2863690)   #63
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete123 View Post
He really is a class act....Watching FP1 from china, He is the first person I have seen bin it into the barrier then pick up all the pieces and tidy them into a neat pile
He did it again in FP2. What a guy!
Old 15 Apr 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2863987)   #64
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Hamilton, Kubica and Vettel were three of the last young drivers to enter the sport with a ton of testing behind them. Since the testing ban, none of the new guys has been able to make the impact that those three did.

Coincidence?
With an exception with Kobayashi I'd say
Old 15 Apr 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2864000)   #65
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by koper View Post
With an exception with Kobayashi I'd say
And Di Resta. Hes scored points in both of the races so far this season in his rookie year, in a car which is mid field, ok getting points in Australia was down to luck but then how many times do other drivers get a healthy slice of luck at each race? Malaysia though was down to pure pace, which he clearly has plenty of.
Old 16 Apr 2011, 08:13 (Ref:2864155)   #66
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
And Di Resta. Hes scored points in both of the races so far this season in his rookie year, in a car which is mid field, ok getting points in Australia was down to luck but then how many times do other drivers get a healthy slice of luck at each race? Malaysia though was down to pure pace, which he clearly has plenty of.
To be fair Di Resta's had loads of testing compared to the likes of Perez and Maldonado over the last couple of years.

Back on topic and Heidfeld had a torried time so far this weekend, Petrov's got into the top 10 without even finishing Q2!
Old 16 Apr 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2864202)   #67
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super lap from Petrov in Q2 but Heidfeld will bounce back in the race. Despite a crash he did end FP1 as the fifth fastest overall. :-)
Old 16 Apr 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2864220)   #68
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
To be fair Di Resta's had loads of testing compared to the likes of Perez and Maldonado over the last couple of years.

Back on topic and Heidfeld had a torried time so far this weekend, Petrov's got into the top 10 without even finishing Q2!
..and could have parked his car anywhere but in the middle of the road
Old 16 Apr 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2864221)   #69
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to say i thought that as well, bit inconsiderate of him, didn't help Nick much either did it.
Old 16 Apr 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2864281)   #70
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as the car stopped so suddenly and was stuck in gear I think both of you are being harsh.
Old 16 Apr 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2864314)   #71
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He had a chance to take the escape road and park it. It was quite clear his car wasn't going anywhere quickly anytime soon.
Old 16 Apr 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2864318)   #72
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
He's a racer. He was probably hoping that the glitch would right itself, or at least that he could nurse it back to the pits and take part in Q3.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2865568)   #73
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
He's a racer. He was probably hoping that the glitch would right itself, or at least that he could nurse it back to the pits and take part in Q3.
I agree, i think he tried getting back to the pits and the problem caught him out on track.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2865637)   #74
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
He had a chance to take the escape road and park it. It was quite clear his car wasn't going anywhere quickly anytime soon.
How do you know that? 'Cos from where I was looking it was Petrov in the car. Or perhaps you have 20-20 hindsight specs?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 10 May 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2878077)   #75
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick seems to be a bit disappointed with Petrovs on track behaviour during the Turkish GP. That's how German MSA puts it anyway