Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Jul 2002, 23:06 (Ref:325502)   #1
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rooting for Yellows

During Sundays 1 mile oval at Chicago I actually found myself hoping to see a car drift into the wall or an engine blow oil all over the track because the only interesting part of the show was the restarts. I don't think there was a single pass that was more than 2 laps away from a start/restart. Bernie and his F1 circus could learn a thing or two about processionals from watching Chicago.

In years gone by we all complained about yellow flags disrupting the races, but now the yellows are the only good part.

It wasn't that long ago that the short ovals were a blast to watch. No position was ever safe because you could be passed at any moment. Masters like Andretti, Tracy, and Vasser could move from 20th on the grid to the lead in about 30 laps. I loved those races!

Sometime around the introduction of the Handford Device that all changed. Passing became passe. Still the races weren't totally predictable because race strategy and proper use of yellows could result in surprise winners. As lame as it sounds, crossing your fingers and hoping your guy doesn't run out of fuel during the last couple laps is more fun than what we endured at Chicago. The new "forced" pit stops have largely (as intended) eliminated the fuel economy runs that annoyed fans, but ultimatly provided more entertainment than we have now.

Pook needs to do more than just cut costs, he needs to bring some entertainment value back to the 1.5 mile and shorter ovals because it isn't there now.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 07:24 (Ref:325634)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Chicago was terrible, but I blame the track.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 15:01 (Ref:325907)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toronto will be better...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Jul 2002, 21:17 (Ref:326130)   #4
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Milwaukee and Motegi were awful as well. It was only 2 years ago when we had those fabulous races at Homestead, Michigan, and Fontana.

It seems that despite Pook's attempts to improve CART, the undoings created by Heinzler and Kneifel may have ruined what was a once great series. And with the might of Tony George at the helm, that dreadful IRL (Just NASCAR without roofs) is going to snap up all the CART teams.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 01:37 (Ref:326262)   #5
jcclausen
Rookie

jcclausen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fervently hope you are wrong.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 06:51 (Ref:326316)   #6
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by O'Schumacher
, that dreadful IRL (Just NASCAR without roofs)

bah, NASCAR good, IRL bad

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 Jul 2002, 14:07 (Ref:326507)   #7
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll say one thing, I'm not a big IRL fan but that Richmond race Saturday night was wild. Those cars were flying around that little track so fast my eyes were bugging out. The CART race Sunday wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. The small field hurts ovals more than road courses because it limits the amount of action around the track. I truly believe that Pook needs to do whatever it takes to get to a 25+ field next season. I'd also like to see CART do some testing at different ovals in the off season to find out which American ovals best fit the Champ car and then try and sign races with those tracks in the future. Michigan has a lot of "Sister" style tracks around the US. Since we don't have Michigan any longer we should find a track that closely resembles it. Those MIS races were always classics. I know CART says quality over quantity but when it comes to oval races you'd better be able to cover a good percentage of the track with cars. If nothing else, also-rans at least give the leaders more traffic to weave through and makes long green flag runs a little more exciting.

Also, will somebody ask Kenny Brack why he feels the need to try and get to the front on the first lap every week? When you start second I can see it but when you start middle pack, or worse, maybe patience should play a role in your race strategy. Five wide? Kenny, I love you man, but what were you thinking? Five wide?
Old 3 Jul 2002, 14:48 (Ref:326528)   #8
John0087
Rookie

John0087 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I have to say is that I hate the forced pit stop strategy. IMO, its too close to trying to fix races. I think CART should give all teams enought Fuel to run full rich the whole race. But if a teams chosses to run conservatilve, then they should be allowed to do that as well. I think that CART should take away the Fuel mixture switch in the car, and force teams to decide the stragey before the green flag, keep the full power button as well. And lastly, get rid of the manditory tire change for a stop to count, dumbest rule in racing I have ever seen.

John
Old 3 Jul 2002, 22:40 (Ref:326791)   #9
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by John0087
get rid of the manditory tire change for a stop to count
I agree. Back in the old days if your guy had to pit for fuel with 2 laps to go and the other guy had to pit with 17 laps to go than you knew that your guy would gain time because his pit stop would be shorter due to the small fuel intake. Nowadays that has gone away because the tire change requirement causes all late pit stops to be the same length. Yet another bit of strategy out the window.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 15:33 (Ref:327116)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure Pook is looking at these races, and he'll likely tweak some of these new rules for next year. Some things that look good on paper simply prove otherwise when applied to the real world. But in the meantime, I give him credit for at least making an attempt to make the series more entertaining. That is, afterall, the only way to garner new fans.
Old 4 Jul 2002, 16:13 (Ref:327162)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the thing is what do you want, the best car and pit crew to win or the one with the best strategy, although not necessarily the best car?
Old 5 Jul 2002, 23:17 (Ref:327967)   #12
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully, with reduced horsepower next season, CART will be able to adopt a different wing package that will return passing to short oval events.

Chicago was worse than usual, the leaders couldn't even lap anybody.

The bad news is that CART will probably run at least one more race at Chicago Motor Speedway to maintain their presence in the Chicago market until they can have a street race approved. Mayor Daley, however, may never allow that to happen.