Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Nov 2006, 23:35 (Ref:1768142)   #1
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Turbo's coming back?

I hope this comes true!! We may see some REAL racing again!!!

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/16112006/...turn-2011.html
Old 17 Nov 2006, 00:11 (Ref:1768165)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pressing a button to pass someone doesn't strike me as racing, it's a gimmick that belongs in computer games. The old turbo era was too expensive and had little benefit for the viewers.

Bio-fuel cars would be good news though, and he's right about the fuel-burning image being bad.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1768170)   #3
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
They would sound super cool! I welcome Turbo's back with open arms
Old 17 Nov 2006, 01:25 (Ref:1768182)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
expect F1 to mirror roadcar development and vice versa.Smaller engines with turbos,more chassis development and less aero involvement.Regenerative systems will abound.

See also here.http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90968
Old 17 Nov 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1768286)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
id love to see Turbo bio-fuel engines..
Old 17 Nov 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1768291)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Yeah,30 diesel powered F1 cars blasting off the grid would produce a black cloud so dense it would stay dark for a week.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1768296)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turbo era transformed F1 democracy (when even the small ones could win) in an oligopoly where only the big could make it.
Return to non turbo didn't reverse the situation, but I cannot remember the turbo era with such a delighted attitude.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1768297)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No... stuff diesel.. its still oil...

I want Hydrogen Rotarys... like the ones that Mazda are developing...
Old 17 Nov 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1768457)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's the off-season fever... It won't happen for sure.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1768475)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2011. It's years off and fanciful talk right now. I suspect the picture will be rather different by then.

I'd love turbos to return, but not with bio-fuel stuff.

And diesel engines would be even worse, if they sound like Audi R10's. A GP held in total silence would not be any fun at all.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1768499)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
And diesel engines would be even worse, if they sound like Audi R10's. A GP held in total silence would not be any fun at all.
That would be the end of that chilling feeling...
Old 17 Nov 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1768507)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
That would be the end of that chilling feeling...
Not really.There should be a GP in the Antarctic by then.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1768891)   #13
Taz Q2
Racer

Australia
Bathurst & Emerald
Taz Q2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's if there's any ice left to race on.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 00:45 (Ref:1768918)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Sure there will be, and the south pole is where the money will be too...
Old 18 Nov 2006, 00:52 (Ref:1768920)   #15
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The turbo era was the beginning of the decline of F1,you guys must have rose tinted retrospective glasses on if you can't remember the days of hand grenade engines and 1 lap tyres,with the escalating costs they bought along.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 01:06 (Ref:1768923)   #16
Taz Q2
Racer

Australia
Bathurst & Emerald
Taz Q2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes thats very true....but....the power....ooooohhh the power
Old 18 Nov 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1769188)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I didn't witness that era first hand. However, I have most of the turbo era races and, for all the escalting costs and preposterous performance gulf between some teams, it is bloody fantastic to watch and listen to.

Let's go back to the eighties, let's implode financially and let's have outrageous fun while we do it!
Old 18 Nov 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1769201)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Let's go back to the eighties, let's implode financially and let's have outrageous fun while we do it!
Yes! To hell with the ozone layer,green house gases,road congestion and all that.Let's go back to the future!

Can't say as I'm looking forward to 1 litre (or less) turbo engines (A V12 should sound really good though ).
Old 18 Nov 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1769205)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well, I didn't witness that era first hand. However, I have most of the turbo era races and, for all the escalting costs and preposterous performance gulf between some teams, it is bloody fantastic to watch and listen to.

Yep the eighties, the best time IMO mainly because that's when I was into F1. While we're at it could we have ground effects and 6 wheelers again, or was that the seventies?
Nothing like DC in a turbo six wheeler with a **** off big fan in the middle of it
Old 18 Nov 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1769236)   #20
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Look at what the end of the F1 season has done to you lot! Crazy speculation, kindof reminds me of those "what life would be like in the year 2000" from the 70's.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

Still, turbos would be nice!
Old 18 Nov 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1769245)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Great post !
Old 18 Nov 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1769249)   #22
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Pressing a button to pass someone doesn't strike me as racing, it's a gimmick that belongs in computer games. The old turbo era was too expensive and had little benefit for the viewers....
Got to be better than no button and no passing...
Old 18 Nov 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1769251)   #23
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
...less aero involvement...
Please, lord, please...
Old 19 Nov 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1769758)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Turbo's were great, particularly when they went wrong (BMW had a real habit of getting it wrong) but the costs were outrageous, and they are trying to cut costs right now so I can't see them coming back.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1769803)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
Turbo's were great, particularly when they went wrong (BMW had a real habit of getting it wrong) but the costs were outrageous, and they are trying to cut costs right now so I can't see them coming back.
You don't think they'll be back then?

Read this.http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90968