Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Dec 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3178880)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Donington Historic Festival

Masters, Motor Racing Legends, HMRN U2TC and HSCC.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 21:11 (Ref:3211831)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been looking at this for a "busman's holiday" to replace Silverstone Classic - has anyone got any feeling for the meeting? What sort of crowds were there last year?

Thanks for any input!
Old 27 Feb 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3211925)   #3
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been for one of the days in both 2011 and 2012 and in terms of the racing from a spectators point of view it's been money well spent with in the main decent grids. Crowds wise - quite well attended I recall but I wouldn't say it was packed but although I think last year was quite windy and cool so that may have affected things. I think the trade stands were in the paddock area plus some on the infield facing onto the start finish straight. Plenty of classic car club parking infield. Good event for the spectator but obviously nowhere near as big as the Silverstone Classic. Don't know if that helps?
Old 28 Feb 2013, 02:26 (Ref:3212027)   #4
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gary's description is right.

Whether this year will be an advance is anyone's guess.

Donington have been pushing the event and clearly want to build it up into something bigger. (They are also doing a bike version later in the year iirc).

In theory half the infield will be back in use as well - maybe I should pop along and find out what has been happening but I think I may wait or a couple of weeks and see what it looks like at the HSCC meeting.

If it is a working holiday Max I reckon you would probably need to be in the Paddock area but failing that employ a runner to work the paddock and get people to you through the tunnel.

I suppose the question is, commercially, whether the timing is good for you. Will people be in the market at that point of the season? How many clashing events?
Old 28 Feb 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3212240)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh it all works for me timing wise. The trade stands have been re-located to the centre of the paddock, in that respect it's great. Not expensive either, although Premier Inn appear to have realised there's a big event on

There's an event on at Snetterton that weekend, but that's a l-o-n-g way to go for me and Donny has the races that match my customer profile. As regards numbers, there's just *too many* people at the Classic now, my customer avoids it and the shopping area like the plague.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll get my booking sorted out it sounds great!
Old 28 Feb 2013, 15:45 (Ref:3212315)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I went a couple of years ago and thought it pretty poor with some low grids and not taht many fans.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3212344)   #7
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Last year was brilliant, they need more atmosphere to be up there with the classic but the grids n racing were top notch
Old 28 Feb 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3212380)   #8
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Premier Inn appear to have realised there's a big event on
Max, use the Travelodge Nottingham EM Airport Donington Park its cheaper and just about walking distance to the Premier Inn for an evening meal.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 01:10 (Ref:3212498)   #9
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Max, use the Travelodge Nottingham EM Airport Donington Park its cheaper and just about walking distance to the Premier Inn for an evening meal.
Quite a few B&Bs around too though they may already be booked up.

Iirc the Donington web site has a good few suggestions for local accommodation these days.

If you and crew are into curry there are 3 good curry houses in the shopping street in Donington and I am aware of another on the outskirts of Melbourne in what used to be a pub (but has been a curry house for about 20 years.

The Falcon Inn at Diseworth is also worth considering - some accommodation (as far as I know) and good food in a village setting.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 08:28 (Ref:3212601)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

Thanks Ian, that does look good. I'm on to it!
Old 1 Mar 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3212699)   #11
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just booked a double B&B at the Donington Manor for £65 for the HSCC opener in 2 weeks. Looks very nice so was surprised at the price, maybe Grant knows different?
Old 1 Mar 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3212726)   #12
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have attended DHF since its debut a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it on both occasions, with the only quibble being that there was perhaps too much going on, which may explain why its become a three-day event this year.

With a few more events under its belt, I reckon it could rival Silverstone Classic in the historic motor racing event stakes.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3212903)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
I have attended DHF since its debut a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it on both occasions, with the only quibble being that there was perhaps too much going on, which may explain why its become a three-day event this year.

With a few more events under its belt, I reckon it could rival Silverstone Classic in the historic motor racing event stakes.
If they get the infield development completed over the next winter break the potential for an event with terrific appeal is certainly there. There is a lot of space just outside the circuit but with relatively easy access to the infield. So a lot of potential for family friendly and broadly based displays and activities.

With the removal of a lot of the old factory buildings the paddock area is also much larger, potentially, than it was. It would have to go some to beat Silverstone for paddock space of course - but maybe it doesn't have to.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 12:24 (Ref:3213180)   #14
andrewn
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
andrewn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last years DHF was some of the best racing I have seen in 30 years spectating. Watching factory AM driver Andy Meyrick hustle the big AMR1 and being chased relentlessly for the full hour by the Donovan Spice was just amazing - and then there was the Lancia LC2, Sauber and 956/962's to boot!

Standing on the infield near to start/finish line gives panoramic views of almost the whole track.

Personally I hope it doesn't become another Silverstone Classic or Goodwood Revival - each of them are great meetings but I like DHF just as it is.

Not too sure about the trade stalls - I don't recall seeing an awful lot but I didn't really go looking. There was a reasonable crowd there, but not especially large in my opinion.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3213187)   #15
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There has been excellent grids, good racing, limited spectator access, impossible access to the garages, chaotic parking and little shelter at Donington for this meeting in the past, IMO. It certainly is not a patch on the Classic but the first two points mean I am once again planning on a Sunday visit.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3213231)   #16
Alan Cox
Rookie

Alan Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's shaping up to be a great event. An excellent programme of races scheduled, including an HGPCA race restricted to pre-war cars, for the Nuvolari trophy, quite a rarity these days. Personally, I think the roster of races tops the one for Silverstone.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 20:02 (Ref:3213302)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

I've booked the hotel! Just need to remember to book the stand now. It sounds great, really looking forward to it.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 01:35 (Ref:3213433)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They using an SLR for the SC this year?
Old 3 Mar 2013, 03:57 (Ref:3213480)   #19
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
They using an SLR for the SC this year?
Now there's an idea I wouldn't mind betting it's a Mazda 6 though.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 04:36 (Ref:3213494)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most enjoyable a couple of years ago,it was in fact the fastest thing on the circuit that weekend.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 13:11 (Ref:3213694)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's a Pre War race for single seaters.

More or less full grid and we may be allowed in with Alta .

Have to remove all wings and other stuff.

If not a Talbot as used in South African G P.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3217211)   #22
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there a timetable yet? I work Sundays so that restricts my race attendances to Friday/Saturdays, and I'd love to see Group C cars in action for the first time (for me).
Old 12 Mar 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3217399)   #23
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Is there a timetable yet? I work Sundays so that restricts my race attendances to Friday/Saturdays, and I'd love to see Group C cars in action for the first time (for me).
I haven't see a timetable yet, bit too early probably. In the last two years the Group C's have had qualifying on the Saturday afternoons and then one race on the Sunday afternoons. Don't know what changes to that sort of schedule they will make given that it's a 3-day event this year.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3217597)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'll defo go on the Saturday and hopefully the Sunday, depends what when the HTCC and GrC are rostered on for
Old 16 Mar 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3219279)   #25
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Timetable : http://www.doningtonhistoric.com/the-races/