Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Feb 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3959169)   #26
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Holden wins.... ......more Parity required for Fords..
Doesn’t take long for these comments!!
Old 22 Feb 2020, 09:25 (Ref:3959177)   #27
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It indeed has a bad taste.
But I would say T8 wins.
But is it the car, the team, the drivers?
Old 22 Feb 2020, 12:06 (Ref:3959203)   #28
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it a parity thing or have they just banned anyone from overtaking? I may have not been paying enough attention but was there an actual proper overtake in the top ten during the race as opposed to an undercut/overcut?
Old 22 Feb 2020, 12:20 (Ref:3959206)   #29
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Is it a parity thing or have they just banned anyone from overtaking? I may have not been paying enough attention but was there an actual proper overtake in the top ten during the race as opposed to an undercut/overcut?
That’s what you get in the strive for parity....
Old 22 Feb 2020, 13:07 (Ref:3959216)   #30
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
That’s what you get in the strive for parity....
Sadly you are right of course, and parity was very evident yesterday, so much so that my good friend Ulf Granberg [the 'Peter Brock' of Sweden] who was watching the race with me said, "this is boring, the Super Trucks were much more entertaining"!

So what is the answer? Surely it has to be a rev based push to pass system, with say, a maximum of 3 push to pass increase in rev's, of say, 250 rpm? That would have been enough for Reynolds to have jumped Whincup, and SVG to jump Scotty etc, coming off turn 7 if they were close enough to grab the inside running.

Just my thoughts folk's.

MP.
Old 22 Feb 2020, 20:22 (Ref:3959260)   #31
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any point getting up at 4:30am to watch race 2?
Old 22 Feb 2020, 20:24 (Ref:3959261)   #32
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO they need to adjust tech regs to favour overtaking, haven't seen much of the race but it seems to have been a solid full green race and lots of comments it was boring.

Otherwise introduce BTCC style success ballast, the category needs action on track so people watch and it can survive.

If the SSTs didn't have their 'competition caution' would Mingay have had enough lead to win?
Old 22 Feb 2020, 22:09 (Ref:3959268)   #33
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Any point getting up at 4:30am to watch race 2?
Absolutely not!!!
Old 22 Feb 2020, 23:06 (Ref:3959274)   #34
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I was in Adelaide for one of the greatest touring car races ever seen - consensus all around that it was simply sensational. Would have been 2001 or 2002 I think if memory serves. Raving everywhere about how good it was.
That race was on the Saturday of the event.
We all arrived at the circuit on Sunday morning tired but primed for another awesome race and it was pretty boring really.

Point is, there are always going to be some races that are somewhat processional, not as exciting etc and others that are simply incredible. Adelaide has never been an easy place to pass other cars so I don't really understand why anyone would expect that it has suddenly changed, plus this is the first hit out for the new dampers and the new aero package, so teams / drivers are learning their way.

Today could be a rather ordinary race or a simply sensational one - but yesterday's race is no indicator of which way it'll go.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 01:25 (Ref:3959297)   #35
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
IMO they need to adjust tech regs to favour overtaking, haven't seen much of the race but it seems to have been a solid full green race and lots of comments it was boring.

Otherwise introduce BTCC style success ballast, the category needs action on track so people watch and it can survive.

If the SSTs didn't have their 'competition caution' would Mingay have had enough lead to win?

I hoped they would test that at VCAT.

How driving close to another cars influences the downforce and understeer.

BTW, Red Flag, Smith in the wall
Old 23 Feb 2020, 02:00 (Ref:3959306)   #36
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post

Definitely a big NO to success ballast

Parity has already been a big enough penalty to the marque that builds the better car, now you want the race winners of a “technical parity” formula penalised further?
Old 23 Feb 2020, 02:12 (Ref:3959309)   #37
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was boring cause the cars were generally quite close on lap pace. The control shock have done their job to help even up the field.
Just a shame the original talk of around a 30% drop in aero didn’t happen and it was more like 10%. IMHO that would have made a difference in overtaking - less aero wash..
Old 23 Feb 2020, 02:21 (Ref:3959311)   #38
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
To make space for the digital panel on the right. The panel, although a MoTeC product, has been delayed due to Chinese supply issues due to coronavirus.

I think it is rather dumb to have the number right in front of the driver, though the drivers are sitting so low that it's not in the way I guess.
The numbers have been moved to the right hand side of the windscreen

Are you saying they are going to put GT3 style digital panels on the windscreen

What is with the NASCAR style car numbers on the totem pole of the TV coverage? None of those designs are on the actual cars?
Old 23 Feb 2020, 05:49 (Ref:3959332)   #39
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I’m a miserable person but this is pointless, literally nothing going on. Every race is the same, follow each other for the entire race and maybe you’ll see a pass for 20th as part of pit strategy. The cars are great to watch on a qualifying lap but 90% of the races are atrocious, nothing happens.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 06:04 (Ref:3959333)   #40
Maggo
Racer

Germany
I think the race is much better than yesterdays. Not the best I've seen but not too boring. More because of a lot of different strategies not so much because of much overtaking.

PS:
Looks like SVG has not enough fuel
edit2: Skaife is close to tears because looks like no Holden will win

Last edited by Maggo; 23 Feb 2020 at 06:15.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 06:49 (Ref:3959335)   #41
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Ford wins... .....parity restored..
Old 23 Feb 2020, 06:55 (Ref:3959337)   #42
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bonehead stuff from SVG. Reports a broken shock after smashing the curbs. Team tells him to hold position and drive to a number. Otherwise it will break.

Then almost wipes our Waters trying to make a pass.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Feb 2020, 07:23 (Ref:3959338)   #43
Phillip Ireland
Rookie

Phillip Ireland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But didn't.

Good on him for being a racer instead of just another driver.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 07:44 (Ref:3959340)   #44
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I’m a miserable person but this is pointless, literally nothing going on. Every race is the same, follow each other for the entire race and maybe you’ll see a pass for 20th as part of pit strategy.
When you line the cars up on the starting grid in order of fastest to slowest, what do you expect!?

All the cars are essentially the same, so there are no significant strengths or weaknesses over a race distance.

The race was a bit dull in the middle, but was OK towards the start and end in my opinion.

Over in the BTCC, the reverse grids and success ballast certainly do the trick for creating action... But then some folks complain of contrived racing. It's like organisers can't win either way!
Old 23 Feb 2020, 09:26 (Ref:3959354)   #45
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Ireland View Post
But didn't.

Good on him for being a racer instead of just another driver.
As Ricky Bobby said. "If you ain't first, you're last".

Could have been 3rd in the championship 3 points behind his teammate. Instead he's 13th and 1 race behind.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Feb 2020, 11:01 (Ref:3959367)   #46
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Definitely a big NO to success ballast

Parity has already been a big enough penalty to the marque that builds the better car, now you want the race winners of a “technical parity” formula penalised further?
Success ballast is more about leveling teams or drivers. Not that I think they should do it, but it works in the BTCC.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 13:45 (Ref:3959386)   #47
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I’m a miserable person but this is pointless, literally nothing going on. Every race is the same, follow each other for the entire race and maybe you’ll see a pass for 20th as part of pit strategy. The cars are great to watch on a qualifying lap but 90% of the races are atrocious, nothing happens.
The closer the cars are in performance the more that's going to happen. The top drivers are all pretty close and most tracks only really have one line so it's whats going to happen. Without tricks like ballast and reverse grids it's the way its going to be.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 19:57 (Ref:3959448)   #48
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I know, i know, ill still tune in to the next race regardless but ive got to moan, its my hobby
Old 23 Feb 2020, 20:06 (Ref:3959449)   #49
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
The closer the cars are in performance the more that's going to happen. The top drivers are all pretty close and most tracks only really have one line so it's whats going to happen. Without tricks like ballast and reverse grids it's the way its going to be.
The main issue is that Adelaide is quite narrow and doesn't help that over the years they've narrowed the track even more. (Especially the back straight from turn 7 to turn 9) I think the racing will be better at the AGP circuit since it's a fair bit wider to accommodate the F1 cars.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 23:43 (Ref:3959473)   #50
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardest job in motorsport: The poor bloke who has to find something for the Bunnings Powerpass powerplay overtakes....