Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Sep 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1411132)   #1
svall88
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
svall88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should there be a round of the WTCC in Australia

I saw for the first time WTCC on a DVD from a friend and having lived in Europe I love the European Cars and think it should be considered to have a race in Australia, It would be awsome if it would be on the Adelaide street circuit together with the Clipsal 500
Old 19 Sep 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1411155)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ol' Tony Cochrane, and the V8Supercar team owners that keep him in power wouldnt like that very much....

It would be a great spectacle, but a looooooooooooooooong way for that circus to travel
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Sep 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1411232)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As it stands WTCC races in Mexico and China - therefore racing on the 3 continents requried to make a 'world championship' in FIA terminology. Given the all-encompassing popularity of B8s in Australia, I can't see such a long trip being economically viable, and I think in general WTCC's non-European venues will be in countries without their own touring car scenes.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1411254)   #4
Shoey
Rookie

Shoey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes please!
Let me first make it clear that I'm a fan of the V8's but I think that Australian motorsport is crying out for some variety seeing as TC has been slowly turning it into a monopoly. Bring it on!
Old 19 Sep 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1411310)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
...and I think in general WTCC's non-European venues will be in countries without their own touring car scenes.
Ironically this is in total contrast to the thinking in the first World Touring Car Championship in 1987, where the only races outside of Europe were 2 races in Australia, one in New Zealand & one in Japan, all which at the time had strong local Touring Car followings.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1411317)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well with Bob Jane apparentally fixing Calder Park back to standard, could the WTCC race again on the combined road/oval circuit ? :P
Old 19 Sep 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1411465)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Most of the WTCC cars are sold in Australia, so why not.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1411799)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would love it.

And with AVESCO ticking off vast numbers of authorities and circuits throughout the country, surely someone could muster up the organisational prowess to put it on.

There was talk of an FIA GT event coming down under at some point - perhaps the WTCC could come down with them.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1413069)   #9
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be fantastic to see, but I don't know how many other Australians would come unfortunately.

Mac, I thought that the "LG Racing Weekends" (GT/WTCC) were no more, thanks to the WTCC telling Ratel to shorten the GT races?
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1413531)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, but if they shared a common interest in coming to Australia, I think their best chance of success would be to combine the two again for a one-off.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 03:47 (Ref:1413603)   #11
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they could bring the WTCC & FIA GT along for a weekend at Bathurst that could only be a good thing.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1413819)   #12
svall88
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
svall88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Replies

Thank u for replying
I have now been visiting the WTCC website more often and I am more and more convinced that it is an eccellent series, and I am also a fan of the V8 Supercars and find the racing extremely different
If anyone has videos of the latest races or a way to get them please tell me,
Forza WTCC!
Old 22 Sep 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1413839)   #13
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the Mexican round of the series on Fox Sports the other night, I can honestly say it didn't do that much for me........
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1414134)   #14
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know hardcore fans would enjoy it, but I don't think it'd get a big "casual" audience - the public in Australia seem to be in love with the V8s and their drivers -- the Super Tourers didn't really thrive there, and I can't see the rather refined Super 2000s playing at all well to a crowd that's used to fire-breathing and paint-trading.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1414245)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase3
Having watched the Mexican round of the series on Fox Sports the other night, I can honestly say it didn't do that much for me........
Probably the worst round of the series to have chosen to watch. The track wasn't the greatest which resulted in follow the leader races. Other rounds have been much better.

Tags
wtcc