Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 9 Nov 2020, 20:48 (Ref:4015732)   #176
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I saw that as well, I thought he'd broken his neck! Reminds me of myself on a paper round 60 years ago getting the paper bag tangled in the front wheel and somersaulting!
I can't believe that happened to you as well !
When I was about 10 years old in 1957 I used to pushbike 6 miles to our local town to go swimming. I used to have my cossie wrapped up in my towel on the handlebars and was coming home and (although I didn't know at the time) the wrapped up towel fell into the front wheel and immediately threw me over the handlebars.
I obviously fell on my head and was knocked out in the middle of the road.
Someone found me and went to the nearest house to try and use a phone that not many people had 64 years ago ! I have no recollection of how I got to hospital but someone took me by car and I was kept in for about a week with concussion.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Nov 2020, 20:56 (Ref:4015734)   #177
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The things you lot got up to. Good job someone was there to rescue you Gordon. I guess you learned a valuable lesson that day. At least you have a good story to dine out on
Old 9 Nov 2020, 22:06 (Ref:4015746)   #178
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On another occasion whilst on speeding past an electric pedestrian controlled bread van on my racing bike the bread man swung the door open and I hit it head on at about 20 mph with similar results, no wonder I've never quite right in the head
Old 12 Nov 2020, 02:08 (Ref:4016087)   #179
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I can't believe that happened to you as well !
When I was about 10 years old in 1957 I used to pushbike 6 miles to our local town to go swimming. I used to have my cossie wrapped up in my towel on the handlebars and was coming home and (although I didn't know at the time) the wrapped up towel fell into the front wheel and immediately threw me over the handlebars.
I obviously fell on my head and was knocked out in the middle of the road.
Someone found me and went to the nearest house to try and use a phone that not many people had 64 years ago ! I have no recollection of how I got to hospital but someone took me by car and I was kept in for about a week with concussion.
Just never have a crash helmet in when you need it.

Similar mess, but not with as bad a head injury, riding a bicycle with my hands in my pockets looking for something, the road rash was something to be gawked at in awe. My screw up, with enough pain to permanently enforce the lesson.
Old 12 Nov 2020, 02:11 (Ref:4016088)   #180
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
On another occasion whilst on speeding past an electric pedestrian controlled bread van on my racing bike the bread man swung the door open and I hit it head on at about 20 mph with similar results, no wonder I've never quite right in the head
Another one of those accidents that you only know what happened when you are sitting in the road - if you're still conscious that is!

Otherwise somebody else tells you what happened!
Old 12 Nov 2020, 11:30 (Ref:4016133)   #181
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Just never have a crash helmet in when you need it.

Similar mess, but not with as bad a head injury, riding a bicycle with my hands in my pockets looking for something, the road rash was something to be gawked at in awe. My screw up, with enough pain to permanently enforce the lesson.
Crash helmet on a push bike in 1957 my mates would have called me a weed !
I remember in Spain years ago just approaching a roundabout when a young "nipper" overtook me on his moped at speed and tried to do a MotoGP corner style manoeuvre with his pushbike sized tyres and did an immediate low side slide. He was a sight to see afterwards as he was only wearing the "obligatory two piece" shorts and flip flops safety equipment.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Nov 2020, 11:18 (Ref:4016327)   #182
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Crash helmet on a push bike in 1957 my mates would have called me a weed !
I guess, must admit to still not being very enthusiastic about helmets on bicycles.
Having said that, it is amazing how many youtube clips feature dudes who are wearing those stupid bicycle helmets face planting. If you are going to wear a helmet on a bicycle, I think you'd be wise to go with a BMX helmet.

Quote:
I remember in Spain years ago just approaching a roundabout when a young "nipper" overtook me on his moped at speed and tried to do a MotoGP corner style manoeuvre with his pushbike sized tyres and did an immediate low side slide. He was a sight to see afterwards as he was only wearing the "obligatory two piece" shorts and flip flops safety equipment.
OOOUCH! Makes my eyes water just thinking about it!

Scrubbing the bits out is an added treat afterwards too!

Spent a bit of time doing that myself.

P.S. Any news in your local press about Marc Marquez?

Last edited by wnut; 13 Nov 2020 at 11:23.
Old 13 Nov 2020, 15:33 (Ref:4016368)   #183
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I always wear a helmet just in case. And it’s better to have a facial injury than a brain injury. Although some people are so stupid they will get injured anyway. That’s life

Just watch out for over vehicles on the road if you are on a bicycle. Which is why I always use cycle paths, easier to stay out of trouble then
Old 13 Nov 2020, 21:23 (Ref:4016410)   #184
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

P.S. Any news in your local press about Marc Marquez?
Yes I did read today that he has been told that it will take a lot longer to recover than first thought because the bone is very weak with the holes that were drilled for the plate (twice). Also he will probably need a bone graft and I wonder if he will actually appear on a MotoGP bike next year ?
By the way I am back in the UK for the foreseeable future as the lockdowns are tightening in Spain and what with night curfews and not being able to go to the next village it's not exactly very nice. At least where we live in the UK I have open countryside all around me and the cops don't all carry guns !!!

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 13 Nov 2020 at 21:29.
Old 13 Nov 2020, 23:40 (Ref:4016427)   #185
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Yes I did read today that he has been told that it will take a lot longer to recover than first thought because the bone is very weak with the holes that were drilled for the plate (twice). Also he will probably need a bone graft and I wonder if he will actually appear on a MotoGP bike next year ?
By the way I am back in the UK for the foreseeable future as the lockdowns are tightening in Spain and what with night curfews and not being able to go to the next village it's not exactly very nice. At least where we live in the UK I have open countryside all around me and the cops don't all carry guns !!!
I was worried about Marquez's break when I saw it, if it was going to heal it should have done so by now, so I am surprised that they have not done a bone graft by now if it is needed. I feel for the man, these are all horribly painful procedures!

I know what you mean about police with guns, to my mind the police are supposed to be a part of the community, not a paramilitary organisation waging war against the population. An approach which seems to have escaped some police forces around the world, although they do have a difficult job to perform, being closer to the community would seem to be a better approach than alienating the population.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 00:35 (Ref:4016430)   #186
wnut
Veteran

I see that Iannone's ban has been increased from 18 months to 4 years!

Agree with Espargaro, it is just plain ridiculous!

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94...ban-ridiculous
Old 14 Nov 2020, 14:14 (Ref:4016546)   #187
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you read the judges report, you will see why it is anything but ridiculous, the man cheated, made very little effort to exonerate himself and deserves to be banned for this long as he is a dumb idiot.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 19:36 (Ref:4016657)   #188
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's going to be an interesting race tomorrow with the Suzukis mired in qualifying. Morbidelli has pace and are we going to see a last minute lunge from Vinales? Horrible tumble for Sam Lowes earlier hampered his qualy pace and that somersault from Alex Marquez looked pretty uncomfortable!
Personally I'm more than pleased for Cal getting the Yamaha test ride, he'll give it 110% as usual and hopefully not incur so many injuries in his test role and the end of the day he's been a great competitor and exceeded many expectations.
Old 15 Nov 2020, 21:41 (Ref:4017103)   #189
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well Joan Mir is the 2020 MotoGP Champion after finishing 7th with Morbidelli winning the race from Jack Miller. Quartararo seems to have lost the plot in these last few races and had a very forgetful weekend falling off a couple of times and not finishing.
Moto2 was won by Jorge Martin while a very battered Sam Lowes finished in 14th who is now 14 points behind Championship leader Bastianini with one race to go.
Tony Albolino won the Moto3 with one time contender John McPhee finishing in 11th.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 07:15 (Ref:4017165)   #190
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a brilliant last lap in the MotoGP race, with Miller passing Morbidelli a couple of times and each time Morbidelli finding a way back in front.

Congrats to Mir and Suzuki for their championship. Unexpected, but then 2020 showed plenty of that both on and off track.

Agree with Gordon that Quatararo lost is way in the latter part of the season and, again, today he was at best clumsy.

Interesting that both Vinales and Fabio claim the 2019 Yamaha to be superior over the 2020 bike, and Morbidelli's form on the old bike seems to back that claim up.

Last edited by E.B; 16 Nov 2020 at 07:22. Reason: Spelling
Old 16 Nov 2020, 07:47 (Ref:4017170)   #191
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
What a brilliant last lap in the MotoGP race, with Miller passing Morbidelli a couple of times and each time Morbidelli finding a way back in front.

Congrats to Mir and Suzuki for their championship. Unexpected, but then 2020 showed plenty of that both on and off track.

Agree with Gordon that Quatararo lost is way in the latter part of the season and, again, today he was at best clumsy.

Interesting that both Vinales and Fabio claim the 2019 Yamaha to be superior over the 2020 bike, and Morbidelli's form on the old bike seems to back that claim up.
Some good racing across all the classes made for an entertaining weekend, that scrap between Morbidelli and Miller was reminiscent of some of the Rossi/Gibernau encounters of old. Be interesting to see if the Suzukis are dominant at Portimao.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 11:47 (Ref:4017228)   #192
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Some good racing across all the classes made for an entertaining weekend, that scrap between Morbidelli and Miller was reminiscent of some of the Rossi/Gibernau encounters of old. Be interesting to see if the Suzukis are dominant at Portimao.
At least it was a good clean scrap on that last lap with both respecting each other, unlike some of the "fiascos" we have seen over the years, especially the Moto3 "skittles"
Old 16 Nov 2020, 16:56 (Ref:4017290)   #193
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
At least it was a good clean scrap on that last lap with both respecting each other, unlike some of the "fiascos" we have seen over the years, especially the Moto3 "skittles"
You're right there, to finish a moto3 race is a complete lottery! Much the same as BTCC race!
Old 20 Nov 2020, 17:58 (Ref:4018061)   #194
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Sam Lowes is looking strong at Portimao despite the hand/wrist injury and once again Vinales is quick in FP2 but VR is way off the pace again. Zarco top of the time sheets but it's early days and it would be great to see John Mac get on the podium in moto3 but Arenas dominates today. Quite how he's allowed to race at all after the fiasco at Valencia is beyond me, if he does become champion it won't be popular.
Old 20 Nov 2020, 18:04 (Ref:4018062)   #195
S griffin
Veteran

Shaping up to be an exciting title showdown in both Moto2 and Moto3
Old 20 Nov 2020, 18:26 (Ref:4018067)   #196
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Shaping up to be an exciting title showdown in both Moto2 and Moto3
I shall be glued to the TV, the weather should be OK
Old 22 Nov 2020, 13:38 (Ref:4018258)   #197
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well what a funny season with different race winners in all the classes, and Sam Lowes finishing 3rd in the Moto2 race today with a broken hand.
2002 CHAMPIONSHIP WINNERS

MotoGP Joan Mir
Moto2 Enea Bastianini
Moto3 Albert Arenas
Old 22 Nov 2020, 15:35 (Ref:4018284)   #198
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
A flag to flag win for the local Olivera in the top class and 2 exciting Moto2 and 3 races made for a great season finale. Such a brave ride from Sam Lowes, these guys don't lack commitment, great respect.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 10:03 (Ref:4019022)   #199
wnut
Veteran

Suzuki's performance was weird at this race,they have been super consistent in the last races and here the ECUs just did not function properly.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 10:06 (Ref:4019023)   #200
S griffin
Veteran

Maybe they weren't properly prepared? It is a new track for everyone, so some were bound to get it wrong. The ECU problem may only be part of it