Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Apr 2000, 21:10 (Ref:2305)   #1
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda ? Vauxhall ? Ford ?

Well, Ford impressed in qually, but I am delighted to say that the stars of the field were Vauxhall - let's hope they don't copy Honda's example from the opener last year!

Talking of Honda (most peoples tip for the top this year), where the hell were they ?! (Except Thompson... we know where he was!) Tarquini seemed to be storming to the back of the field (Matt Nealesque) and Kristensen seemed to be invisible.
Old 9 Apr 2000, 21:55 (Ref:2306)   #2
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to be at odds with myself.

Funny, I would have guessed Honda was a shoo in for the '00 championship. Not to mention, it would be nice if Honda finally wins a ST championship--they've only won the JTCC and NATCC ones after all these years.

OTOH, I somehow find myself attracted to the Ford Mondeo. Don't know why? Maybe because I find it to be the best looking of the '00 class?

OTOH, the Vauxhall isn't that bad...

Too bad the no A4s or BMWs could have lined up for the season of ST. Sighh...
Old 9 Apr 2000, 22:23 (Ref:2307)   #3
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Fords were certainly looking strong all weekend. Especially Menu, although Rydell has spent all weekend keeping him honest.

As you would expect, Muller has been nothing short of spectacular all weekend, shame he wasn't rewarded with a win.

Th Honda's didn't really impress at all.
Old 17 Apr 2000, 21:14 (Ref:2308)   #4
ganda123
Racer

ganda123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rydell wasn't the quickest Ford driver at Brands but once he gets used to the Mondeo and sorts out a setup that works for his driving style he'll be as quick if not quicker than Menu. I thought it was quite good considering he's the "new boy in town". I was certainly surprised with the Hondas - I honestly thought they would walk it right from the beginning, but it seems they have the catching up to do from Ford and Vauxhall!
Old 17 Apr 2000, 21:30 (Ref:2309)   #5
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do I have this sinking feeling that Moansell will be on the phone to Ford as we speak?
Old 18 Apr 2000, 06:56 (Ref:2310)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The remaining teams certainly seem a lot closer now that Volvo & Nissan are not racing.

I think that Honda's 'problems' stem from the fact that WSR don't get to do much of the development of the car off-season. It seesm to be done by Honda who hand the car over to WSR just prior to the season.

Last years Accord had its aero kit developed in Japan which led to Honda being the most inconsistent car over the season. At places where the aero worked it was quick, where it didn't - it wasn't !

We haven't had a chance to compare times yet - but it will be interesting to see how the poles and fastest laps compare to the Nissan's and Volvo's of last year.

Overall I think Honda have made a backword step at this point and with Ford and Vauxhall its hard to say as they were about the same performance last year (but at the back ).

Overall I would guess that Ford is the best funded and certainly has the biggest team behind it, if the engine holds up they should be strong at some of the longer circuits.

With Vauxhall its often hard to judge the real pace of the car due to Muller's ability to drag it around the track. On BH times both the V's were near the blunt end in qualifying so maybe the real pace of the car is Plato's. Last years Vectra was probably somewhere between Muller's spectacular wringing and Clelands can't be bothered tootle !
Old 19 Apr 2000, 00:04 (Ref:2311)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just suprised that after all these years, Honda has not been able to overcome the aerodynamic package that ends up hampering the car's success. I am guessing Brit tracks need a lot of downforce and grip because they are so twisty? 'Cause in NA, they had no problems, but I am guessing it's because the tracks are so wide and long?

What they say is true--Honda can only do engines...