Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2020, 00:44 (Ref:3983692)   #1526
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Why go so low? Because they had no real sponsors, we’re under pressure from board level to find some, didn’t have the contacts to work out what others had quoted and were naive.
But 80% lower? Couldn’t they have secured it at the same of the lowest because you get a better team, or 10% lower, or 50% lower?

How confident is your 80% lower?
Old 25 Jun 2020, 01:19 (Ref:3983694)   #1527
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But isnt this the nature of b2b deals?

BB or any other technical partner pays less in actual money and effectively pays the for the rest with products or services. Barter on a grander scale.

I suppose the products/services being offered could then be used throughout all Merc divisions so an even larger benefit then the lost revenue from the lowered advertising rate?
Old 25 Jun 2020, 01:52 (Ref:3983696)   #1528
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, not actually cheaper, just payment isn’t always directly for the sponsorship.
Old 25 Jun 2020, 03:08 (Ref:3983700)   #1529
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
But isnt this the nature of b2b deals?

BB or any other technical partner pays less in actual money and effectively pays the for the rest with products or services. Barter on a grander scale.

I suppose the products/services being offered could then be used throughout all Merc divisions so an even larger benefit then the lost revenue from the lowered advertising rate?
Reading this article about the Blackberry/Merc deal, it would seem it just pertains to the F1 team. However, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been implemented across all Merc divisions.

https://www.mobileworldlive.com/blog...it-blackberry/
Old 25 Jun 2020, 04:15 (Ref:3983708)   #1530
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
But 80% lower? Couldn’t they have secured it at the same of the lowest because you get a better team, or 10% lower, or 50% lower?

How confident is your 80% lower?
It’s some time ago and hadn’t thought about it in years. Like I said the poaching was seen as a sad fact of life, the concern was the devaluing of sponsorship as somebody desperate gave it away to look good to the board.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 08:13 (Ref:3983934)   #1531
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The new livery, sadly lacking in sponsors to the point that Williams have their own logos on the cars. Unfortunately reminds me of the look of cars from teams that we shortly to disappear from the grid, hope the same doesn't happen to Williams.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/willi...r-2020-season/
Old 26 Jun 2020, 08:29 (Ref:3983939)   #1532
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I note from the press release that Williams claim to have terminated the Rokit agreement.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3983940)   #1533
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
The new livery, sadly lacking in sponsors to the point that Williams have their own logos on the cars. Unfortunately reminds me of the look of cars from teams that we shortly to disappear from the grid, hope the same doesn't happen to Williams.

Reminiscent of what happened to Tyrrell.

I have been saying for a while that Williams are the “new Tyrrelll”.
Sadly.
I loved the Tyrrell team.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3983941)   #1534
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Oh well, at least it didn't have "YOUR NAME HERE PLEASE CONTACT US" plastered on the side!
Old 26 Jun 2020, 08:54 (Ref:3983944)   #1535
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
On second look the livery doesn't look too bad from an aesthetic point of view, but yeah, it's a sad indication of the team's state that there are hardly any sponsors left. Their only hope is the car is as good as it has been in testing
Old 26 Jun 2020, 09:54 (Ref:3983962)   #1536
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
One thing that comes to my mind. The budget cap is going to be $135m - excluding marketing/hospitality and drivers wages. Williams is never going to get near $135m is sponsorship income - Rockit paid $20m for title I believe - so they will still be dependent on finishing position in the WCC for most of their income.

I know that Claire sees the budget cap as the answer to Williams woes, but is it?

Won't the big teams just find ways to 'optimise' their own operation so they can do more for less money, so the budget cap goes further with them pro-rata.

Where will the investors (when they get them) find their return? I can only see a low profit at best, but still cash hungry operation regardless, surely?
Old 26 Jun 2020, 10:30 (Ref:3983966)   #1537
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I think the new livery looks fine. Albeit in a Latifi F2 type of way.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 16:01 (Ref:3984035)   #1538
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The car looks much better. Cleaner lines without that massive, garish, ROKiT logo.

Old 26 Jun 2020, 16:36 (Ref:3984042)   #1539
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Merc used Blackberry across a lot of it's NSOs and HQ. And back in the day of when they owned McLaren they used SAP too, as another example.

I think it is probably reasonable to assume that any perceived massive discount is offset by other benefits elsewhere.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 17:55 (Ref:3984059)   #1540
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Merc used Blackberry across a lot of it's NSOs and HQ. And back in the day of when they owned McLaren they used SAP too, as another example.

I think it is probably reasonable to assume that any perceived massive discount is offset by other benefits elsewhere.
Nissan in their BTCC days had Vodafone who I believe were Nissans mobile comms provider across Europe. Most, but not all, manufacturer sponsorships have some sort of business relationship behind them.

Ferrari F1 have UPS on the car, who also ship Ferrari and FCA parts worldwide. Petronas is first pour lubricant supplier to Mercedes for OEM and service - think how many cars Mercedes make in a day and service in a day across their network.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 20:52 (Ref:3984084)   #1541
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And Ferrari and Shell go back a long way, although there was time their fuel supplier was Agip
Old 27 Jun 2020, 02:51 (Ref:3984123)   #1542
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Reminiscent of what happened to Tyrrell.

I have been saying for a while that Williams are the “new Tyrrelll”.
Sadly.
I loved the Tyrrell team.
Tyrell did become Mercedes in the end
Old 27 Jun 2020, 03:17 (Ref:3984124)   #1543
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
There's hope for them yet then.
Old 27 Jun 2020, 03:18 (Ref:3984125)   #1544
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And Ferrari and Shell go back a long way, although there was time their fuel supplier was Agip
Sponsorship clearly works as I love filling up with Agip when in that part of the world.
Old 27 Jun 2020, 05:32 (Ref:3984135)   #1545
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Indeed, via BAT, Honda and Brawn. I wonder if there are any employees there with continuous service through all of that? Doubt there is any Tyrrell DNA there really.
Old 27 Jun 2020, 05:42 (Ref:3984136)   #1546
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Sponsorship clearly works as I love filling up with Agip when in that part of the world.
Last time I went to Italy, there was nothing but Agip stations.
Old 27 Jun 2020, 06:29 (Ref:3984144)   #1547
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
One thing that comes to my mind. The budget cap is going to be $135m - excluding marketing/hospitality and drivers wages. Williams is never going to get near $135m is sponsorship income - Rockit paid $20m for title I believe - so they will still be dependent on finishing position in the WCC for most of their income.

I know that Claire sees the budget cap as the answer to Williams woes, but is it?

Won't the big teams just find ways to 'optimise' their own operation so they can do more for less money, so the budget cap goes further with them
You certainly have a point. Imo the thinking is more like we have a better chance to be cpmpetitive with $ 60 budget vs all the others on $135 mio, vs being on 60 mio vs teams on 500 mio.
They wont be consistently in the top, but with a budget cap they should be capable of getting rid of being last all the time, which is a huge upgrade
Old 27 Jun 2020, 09:54 (Ref:3984176)   #1548
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Hmm. :/

Old 27 Jun 2020, 16:02 (Ref:3984232)   #1549
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Hmm. :/

Quite, well found and yes sadly there are several precedents!
Old 27 Jun 2020, 17:58 (Ref:3984241)   #1550
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Indeed, via BAT, Honda and Brawn. I wonder if there are any employees there with continuous service through all of that? Doubt there is any Tyrrell DNA there really.
The company number 00787446 is still the same.