Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Nov 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2573932)   #1
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Return of the Thunder' Sandown - Nov 7-8

Huge fields for Sandown this weekend,

31 Biante Touring Car Masters
21 Group Q,R and Formula 5000 Racing Cars
23 Group A & C Touring Cars
35 Historic Touring Cars Under 3000cc
26 Historic Touring Cars Over 3000cc
41 Group Sb & Sc Sportscars
47 Formula Fords
37 MG's
27 Group M,O,P Racing Cars
35 Group J,K,Lb
93 Regularity Competitors

Should be a pretty good weekend, Anyone heading out?
Old 2 Nov 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2573938)   #2
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon the crowd will be bigger than any other meeting in Victoria that weekend!
Old 2 Nov 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2573973)   #3
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
I reckon the crowd will be bigger than any other meeting in Victoria that weekend!
Silver, I agree, and hope so too.

I'll be at Winton, as I committed to at the start of the year, but I'd be at Sandown if I was in town.

Two great days of wonderful Melbourne Spring weather are forecast.

I'd think close to 8 - 10 K on Sunday.

I just hope that 30 deg isn't too hot for some of those old British sports & race cars.

Might see a few "boiling billies" over the weekend.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2574278)   #4
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a good field
Old 2 Nov 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2574523)   #5
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stupid question for the day, do group N fit into the Historic Touring Cars Under/Over 3000cc classes, or are they not going to be present?
Old 3 Nov 2009, 01:32 (Ref:2574587)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone who suggests a Biante Series car is a Group N risks being shot on sight by the Grp N fraternity.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 01:49 (Ref:2574600)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and probably quite rightly so?
Old 3 Nov 2009, 05:04 (Ref:2574650)   #8
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

like a old movie being re run again and again.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2574769)   #9
TOOTHFAIRY
Rookie

TOOTHFAIRY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SANDOWN HISTORIC

What a fantastic weekend ahead for the VHRR, and all their hard working people, in the real historic world, there's NO drama between Biante and Historic touring cars, each has it's own deal, I've got friends in both Catagories, the real truth is most paying punters don't know the difference, anyway. Both serve a purpose, Biante is high end, big dollar, main game stuff, HTC is good close racing, at a pick your price cost. I run a HTC, but 20 of my mates run Biante, and some are staying at my place over the weekend, bad luck I have to go to Winton, with my son, otherwise he'd be kickin butt at Sandown, best we do that at Winton, Hope EVEYONE has a great weekend at Sandown, and I'm hoping we come home with a Championship from Winton. Look out at P/I Classic, we''ll be there, looking for the lap Record.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2574785)   #10
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
stupid question for the day, do group N fit into the Historic Touring Cars Under/Over 3000cc classes, or are they not going to be present?
Yes, sorry that is Group N over 3000cc and under 3000cc
Old 3 Nov 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2575185)   #11
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, and forgot to mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
I'll be at Winton, as I committed to at the start of the year, but I'd be at Sandown if I was in town.
Same here, Sandown Historics is a great event.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 23:00 (Ref:2575225)   #12
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
hmmm makes me wish i was still living in Melbourne
Old 4 Nov 2009, 05:25 (Ref:2575366)   #13
smarm
Rookie

smarm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be sitting in the medical car for the 3 days. Fingers crossed it's quiet for us. Had a ball at the PI historics this year, I'm looking forward to this one even more.

I'll try and post both here and to twitter (@doc_ryan), with results and event updates.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2575384)   #14
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SANDOWN TICKET COMP

With 420 entries this weekend's meeting should be a ripper. Thanks to the Victorian Historic Racing Register, IN PIT LANE has 6 tickets to give away.
As it was Cup Day yesterday we couldn't give them away last night so here's a chance for 10/10ths forum members to grab a pass.
Just go to the In Pit Lane website at http://inpitlane.com/archives/11644 and answer the simple and obvious question and the first 6 correct answers will win a pass.
But be quick the comp closes Thursday morning at 10.00 am.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2575534)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish I could go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOTHFAIRY View Post
What a fantastic weekend ahead for the VHRR, and all their hard working people, in the real historic world, there's NO drama between Biante and Historic touring cars, each has it's own deal, I've got friends in both Catagories, the real truth is most paying punters don't know the difference, anyway. Both serve a purpose, , HTC is good close racing, at a pick your price cost. I run a HTC, but 20 of my mates run Biante, and some are staying at my place over the weekend, bad luck I have to go to Winton, with my son, otherwise he'd be kickin butt at Sandown, best we do that at Winton, Hope EVEYONE has a great weekend at Sandown, and I'm hoping we come home with a Championship from Winton. Look out at P/I Classic, we''ll be there, looking for the lap Record.
Looks like a terrific event,,,anyone know how mant F5000s are turning up??

and TF, whilst I sort of get where you are coming from,,,I have to disagree with "Biante is high end, big dollar, main game stuff"

Just because a few people have enough dosh to take cars around following the V8 Supercars and have lobbied to be able to spend even more dollars on unfettered mechanical mods does not mean they have suddenly become the main game!! Its sort of an insult to all the other drivers and fine machinery out there all around Australia. Don't get me wrong...I used to admire the likes of Brad Tilley for his car prep and driving ability long ago when he was an Nc regular and he and Bug Jum etc put on a good show.

The wider historic movement (to me) has a much bigger appeal than a few show ponies (joking) from a narrow era of Tin Top racing.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2575581)   #16
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Andrew Robson
D'arcy Russell
Brian Sala in Bill Hemmings Elfin
Paul Trevethan
Robert Harborow
Old 5 Nov 2009, 05:46 (Ref:2576113)   #17
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to a great event, planning to go Sunday only though
Old 5 Nov 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2576249)   #18
TOOTHFAIRY
Rookie

TOOTHFAIRY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SANDOWN HISTORICS

275 GTB, I don't really think you understand historic touring cars, as Biante is high end chase the V8 circus stuff, that's what it was originated as. It was originally started to show case HTC, to a larger audience, at big events, and give the everyday competitor a chance to run in big time events, and widen his or her horizons. We started out at the V8's in 2002, as log booked HTC, and ran that way until 2006 I think .The current batch of Biante cars are logbooked as NON historic cars and run a BLUE logbook, meaning a HTC car can't run in Biante, and a Biante logged car can;t run as a HTC. I do have a little knowledge of the series as I was the first national administrator for the series, and up until the changes ran in many of the races all over Australia. And am in constant touch with the current board. It is a great series, and the guys who run it and race in it are all passionate about the sport, but it is much more expensive to run than a HTC, in all areas. And just a bit of tongue in cheek, there is no other historic catagory that floats peoples boats more than a HTC or a Biante Muscle Car !!!!!
Old 5 Nov 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2576258)   #19
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
275 GTB, I don't really think you understand historic touring cars, as Biante is high end chase the V8 circus stuff, that's what it was originated as. It was originally started to show case HTC, to a larger audience, at big events, and give the everyday competitor a chance to run in big time events, and widen his or her horizons. We started out at the V8's in 2002, as log booked HTC, and ran that way until 2006 I think .The current batch of Biante cars are logbooked as NON historic cars and run a BLUE logbook, meaning a HTC car can't run in Biante, and a Biante logged car can;t run as a HTC. I do have a little knowledge of the series as I was the first national administrator for the series, and up until the changes ran in many of the races all over Australia. And am in constant touch with the current board. It is a great series, and the guys who run it and race in it are all passionate about the sport, but it is much more expensive to run than a HTC, in all areas. And just a bit of tongue in cheek, there is no other historic catagory that floats peoples boats more than a HTC or a Biante Muscle Car !!!!!
Back in '06 or whatever it was they were log booked 3D werent they?
Old 5 Nov 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2576278)   #20
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post

and TF, whilst I sort of get where you are coming from,,,I have to disagree with "Biante is high end, big dollar, main game stuff"

Just because a few people have enough dosh to take cars around following the V8 Supercars and have lobbied to be able to spend even more dollars on unfettered mechanical mods does not mean they have suddenly become the main game!! Its sort of an insult to all the other drivers and fine machinery out there all around Australia. Don't get me wrong...I used to admire the likes of Brad Tilley for his car prep and driving ability long ago when he was an Nc regular and he and Bug Jum etc put on a good show.

The wider historic movement (to me) has a much bigger appeal than a few show ponies (joking) from a narrow era of Tin Top racing.
IMO if the HCC goon's (pass the port) crowd had allowed certain mods to the cars,a break away group would never have happened.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 08:12 (Ref:2577487)   #21
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went out to Sandown today for a look and to take some snaps. I've uploaded some shots here if anyone's interested. Not brilliant quality as it was my first day out with a new lens. But you get the idea.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 09:20 (Ref:2577495)   #22
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great day, topped off by a walk to the end of the grandstand tonight for the night market, lemongrass pork wrapped in beetal leaves, great.
Good sized crowd, promoters delighted, small numbers of F5000 but great to see and hear. A huge turnout of Formula Fords and Group S Sportscars, the Biante series was very popular with the crowd, not as much with some of the chaps. "The thin end of the wedge you know old boy!"
If you're in Melbourne come out tomorrow 32 degrees brilliant sunshine, a great day for taking photos.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 23:37 (Ref:2577900)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ohhhhhhh????

Quote:
I generally work trackside so not across the stuff that happens at boardroom level, however, I stand by my stated opinions....I recall the very very shabby treatment meted out to the Nc boys only a few years back by your V8Supercar mate...for example...Bathurst, unpowered, poorly watered campsites in a brambles infested paddock...and competitors paying $1500 for the privelege. Only to have their races cut to ribbons for no good reason except ineptitude.

Thats good that you are having your 15 minutes of fame...and I hope your little circus continues to be sucessful...just not at the expense of the wider Historic community.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 00:21 (Ref:2577922)   #24
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who are the off track movers/shakers of the Biante Series

Quote:
I enjoy both Group N & the Biante series for what they are .. great to watch. I'm even keen to see Historic sports sedans (that will give purists a nightmare as Sports Sedans are truly a work in progress, meeting to meeting).

A couple of questions though, who are the main players off track.

Can I suggest there is a time line:
Biante sponsorship of Paul Stubber & his Camaro initially in WA, when Biante was owned by the Young family.
The fiasco of Stubber hauling his car across the country only to be refused a run at Bathurst.
After this the Biante series in its current form appeared.
Was it before the death of Mr Young?
The sale of the majority interest in Biante in April 2007.

Am I right in concluding the attitude of the Group N powers at Bathurst were central to the formation of the current Biante series?
Old 8 Nov 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2578191)   #25
smarm
Rookie

smarm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a great time today at Sandown

Big formula ford crash down the straight, drivers left, and a torana coming off at turn 9, thanks to some oil, with a big fuel tank fire.