Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 7 Feb 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3502501)   #1
Pepee63
Rookie

Pepee63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why aren't the cars displayed

I love watching motor racing but what makes me sick is only the names of the drivers are being listed in the positions. Why isn't it the car makes being listed ? I watch car racing for the CARS not the drivers. I can understand with F1 because the cars are all pretty similar. Same with V8 supercars but I'm watching the Bathurst 12 hour and I have no idea what model cars are running in any position. Motor racing is about the cars and not the drivers or just get the drivers to run around the track themselves. It never use to be like this. The original Bathurst use to list the cars and drivers so you knee what was going on at all times. We use to barrack for the car and the driver was secondary like it should be. We didn't care if Peter Brock or someone else won the race. We cared that Holden or ford won. They are wrecking the viewing pleasure of motor racing when they ignore the make of the car. It's called MOTOR RACING and not car driver racing.
Old 7 Feb 2015, 23:32 (Ref:3502562)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah what he said!

At Le Mans its still the car not the driver...
Old 8 Feb 2015, 00:08 (Ref:3502574)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
If you love the sport you may have been anticipating Bathurst for some weeks, and following the news updates, so you should know the drivers of at least the top 10 cars. To catch the ones that slip the mind, just keep an entry list open on a second window - always assuming you're watching on a decent PC and not following it on a phone or tablet. I also find if you're watching the live streaming you soon learn to match the numbers to the makes.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 12:04 (Ref:3502858)   #4
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I had a whine about this on a BTCC thread. The graphics list the drivers and the sponsors, not the make of car.

The argument against me was that the sponsors provide the means for people to go racing, and their interests must come first. You can't argue with that, although without variety (i.e. different marques) it'd just be a spec formula.

I still say that more people would take an interest, and it'd stimulate showroom sales, if touring cars were just that - stock.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3503349)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The other thing to consider is that the majority of teams aren't works team. The team has chosen that chassis as they think it's best for their category or class. So when it comes to listings it's him/her driving for the team against the driver from another team within the class or category. What the chassis actually is really isn't that important.

Of course if it is a works team then manufacturer who has put up the money gets listing with the driver/s and then the actual team of mechanics as a by the way.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 20:06 (Ref:3503393)   #6
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not a good way of attracting new viewers though, when they need to study up on who is driving what to be able to know what is going on. Especially in something like the Bathurst 12 hour, where there can be three drivers in any one car.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3503430)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
It's not a good way of attracting new viewers though, when they need to study up on who is driving what to be able to know what is going on. Especially in something like the Bathurst 12 hour, where there can be three drivers in any one car.
not a lot different from horse racing where it's all about the nag's name, not the number or the jockey....
Old 9 Feb 2015, 21:54 (Ref:3503439)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
not a lot different from horse racing where it's all about the nag's name, not the number or the jockey....
Exactly you follow the team paint job (jockey's colours) from a distance, doesn't matter what make the car is (horses specific breading). Who's driving is useful to know though (the Jockey).
Old 12 Feb 2015, 03:47 (Ref:3504169)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being a Touring Car fan, not a Sports Car enthusiast, I had little idea of which drivers where in what car or team, so just before the race started, I printed out the full entry list and kept that beside all day. Without that, I would have really struggled.

Surely, in GT racing, more than any other form of racing, the cars are the stars. Names like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley & Porsche are going to attract the casual viewer. Make it easy for them to follow and they might stick around...
Old 8 Mar 2015, 18:34 (Ref:3513027)   #10
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I had a whine about this on a BTCC thread. The graphics list the drivers and the sponsors, not the make of car.

The argument against me was that the sponsors provide the means for people to go racing, and their interests must come first. You can't argue with that, although without variety (i.e. different marques) it'd just be a spec formula.

I still say that more people would take an interest, and it'd stimulate showroom sales, if touring cars were just that - stock.
It lists the driver name and the team name, not the sponsors.

If the manufacturers were that bothered about it, they'd be paying the teams to include their names within the team name.

Like Honda does.