Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 13 Apr 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1277434)   #1
bf1
Racer

Ireland
Waterford, Ireland / Swansea, Wales
bf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My First event..

A full account of my weekends exploits..

Thursday evening:
Went to Broadside in New Ross Co.Wexford to get Suit, balaclava, gloves, socks,gloves and boots.

Friday:
Found out that my blood Type wasn't on my birth Cert so had to go get a blood test..

Saturday:
Left home for Nass early in the morning, got to Nass (got a bite to eat) then continued on to Walkinstown to Murray Motorsport to get a Helmet.

Got back to Mondello in time for the Afternoon Test Sessions, but the car had to be adjusted to my liking which took a bit of time but once everyting was ready to go, I went out after a few unfortunate stalls and put in a few laps getting used to the car (it more or less being left-hand-drive), getting to find the lines and exploring the limits of the availabe grip (taking note that there was rain during the afternoon and the track has been re-surfaced recently) which di mean I did have an off..understeering off to the left after the loop coming back from the countryside (ie turn 3) then sliding it away from the fast approaching bank to spear back across to the other side of the track and regaing control and continuing back to the pits to make sure that everything was ok.

An adjustment to the track bar later, I was out again putting in some tidy laps and then the session was over for us and I returned to the Garage and that was all the running I got on Saturday

Sunday:
Alarm call for 6am...as we had to be on site for 7:30am...7:45am time for signing on..then a rush to get to scruteneering before the car got there before I did as the lads brought it up for me, but everything was fine and then there wasn't much time before the Qualifying sessions started (two of them for Formula Vee due to sheer numbers) I went out in the second session and to my delight didn't qualify last which I was expecting although 25th is near the back it aint last.
We then after a while we had the drivers breifing (and thanks to the CoC and hia assistant for explaing everything to the group of us who were taking part in our first event)

Then to the race..we got the call over the P.A to go to the assembly area and then we then proceeded to pitlane went then to the straight to be gridded followed by a parade lap then the start procedure, once everyone is gridded to satisfaction of the starter the green flag is waved then a 5 second gap to the lights going red then between 4-8 seconds the reds go out and the race is on.
As for me I had a brilliant start making up 4-5 places on the merits of that, it then began to rain and I was wondering were race control going to do anything but the shower passed off quickly. I was still in that position for a few laps until on the straight in third I went to grab fourh gear and clutch in, grap the lever and its not there, panic set in trying to find a gear any gear and alot of time was lost.. loosing 4 places I continued there to the finish.
Result: 22nd out of 28, but none the less a signature on my licence.

Also got a chance to chat to evil pumpkin, nice to put a person to the posts

Hope to be out again although probably in June for the Formula Vee festival again in Mondello.

A big Thank you to the lads of Sheane Engineering who were at all times helpful and willing to do any work on the car without any hesitation.

All in all a very enjoyable weekend

bf1
Old 13 Apr 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1277600)   #2
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1
Friday:
Found out that my blood Type wasn't on my birth Cert so had to go get a blood test..
Old 14 Apr 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1278254)   #3
bf1
Racer

Ireland
So it could be put on my overalls and the side of the car for saftey reasons in the event of an accident..
Old 14 Apr 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1278281)   #4
Carlos
Racer

England
Cumbria
Carlos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They wont take any notice of it, and there isnt any blood at track anyway, just a point.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1278298)   #5
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely. Your blood is tested at hospital/medical centre (wherever the NEED to do it) to ensure a correct match. Just for argument, you borrow someone else's overalls, the medics don't know that - you are just a patient to them that needs treatment. They take the info on the suit as gospel - it says A+ you are AB-, and they pump you full of a pint or two of A+. Goodnight.

Best not to have anything on there, maybe just your name.

Rob.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1278304)   #6
bf1
Racer

Ireland
It was in the MSI yearbook so it had to be done even if the scruteeners didn't even ask to see the suit (I had it on but a coat on over it)
Well I have the correct info on my suit now so im safe as I can be in the event of an accident.

Last edited by bf1; 14 Apr 2005 at 19:48. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 14 Apr 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1278326)   #7
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1
It was in the MSI yearbook so it had to be done even if the scruteeners didn't even ask to see the suit (I had it on but a coat on over it)
Well I have the correct info on my suit now so im safe as I can be in the event of an accident.
Yabbut it still won't make any difference. It is a pointless exercise as as been pointed out above and there really should be no need.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1278349)   #8
bf1
Racer

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Absolutely. Your blood is tested at hospital/medical centre (wherever the NEED to do it) to ensure a correct match. Just for argument, you borrow someone else's overalls, the medics don't know that - you are just a patient to them that needs treatment. They take the info on the suit as gospel - it says A+ you are AB-, and they pump you full of a pint or two of A+. Goodnight.

Rob.
That example, I think shows that there is a reason for these regs
ie. have your own info on your own garments
esp. if the injured person is loosing alot of blood the medics can ring ahead to the hospital (that they may need to go to) and then the hospital staff can have everything that is neccesary prepared for the paitents arrival
Old 14 Apr 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1278422)   #9
Carlos
Racer

England
Cumbria
Carlos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn’t meant as a dig mate, just highlighting a misconception that the info is worth anything. No medic/doctor with give any blood transfusion to anyone without having a blood test done, this only takes a couple of seconds but is very tightly controlled. Without a blood test all that can be safely given is 0- blood, but as I said no circuit has blood transusion facilities (? f1 and the likes who will probably have all driver medical info anyway ?)
Old 15 Apr 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1279246)   #10
bf1
Racer

Ireland
Ah right okay I went about anyway for peace of mind and so the scruteneers wounldn't have any reason to repremand me