Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 May 2001, 14:47 (Ref:96057)   #1
Sodemo2
Racer

Sodemo2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ETCC to use BTCC rules!!!!!!!

The FIA have chosen rules 95% the same as the BTCC rules with only the brakes and gearboxes allowed for development (instead of the BTCC's controlled parts)

Six manufacturers agreed the rules including BMW and Alfa Romeo.
Old 24 May 2001, 17:27 (Ref:96109)   #2
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
knowlesy59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so what does this mean for the btcc.does it mean more manufacturers coming or what?
Old 24 May 2001, 18:53 (Ref:96138)   #3
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great news, if indeed true. I don't trust Autosport, but it makes sense that the same basic rules would be adapted.

I do hope that the FIA give the final O.K. to these plans. It could lead to an exiting new era for touring car racing. If Alfa, BMW and VAG build cars for ETCC, it would not be a stretch to imagine copies in the BTCC as well.

Now if we in the states can get the SCCAs Mitch Wright to use these rules for the Speedvision Touring Series.

Kurt Maxwell
Maxsport-Motorsports Marketing
Carmel, IN. USA
Old 24 May 2001, 19:15 (Ref:96146)   #4
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is good news if TRUE, but makes sense to pull all series together and this years cars are a good trade off between ST and SP.

I think though the manufacturers would prefer doing the ETCC though and perhaps running satelite teams with thier own funding but manufacturer support (ala EGG Astra) for national series such as BTC and French/Italian series etc.

Westie did say he may change BTC rules to ETC if they where only minor as well.

Do ya think he'll still do this now?
Old 24 May 2001, 19:37 (Ref:96155)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm all for the BTCC changing to ETCC rules, as long as the budgets do not rise. But development of bits on cars may trigger wars between teams saying 'but they have done that', or 'why can't we do that?'

I do like the pluses (is that a word?) though, privateers can easily alter the brakes and the gearbox - thats simple in racing terms.
Manufacturers/teams would probably change the parts anyway out of the goodness of their hearts.
Old 24 May 2001, 20:41 (Ref:96188)   #6
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news if true! I wonder if the BTCC will be the only stand-alone national TC series now. I mean the ETCC basically swallowed up the old German, Italian and French series, and the STCC is sticking with ST.

Btw, who were the manufacturers? BMW, Audi, Alfa, Honda?
Old 24 May 2001, 20:48 (Ref:96194)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Plus Volvo, Nissan.
Old 25 May 2001, 17:13 (Ref:96534)   #8
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maxsport wrote:

>Now if we in the states can get the SCCAs Mitch Wright to use these >rules for the Speedvision Touring Series.
>
Hey Maxsport, Kmchow here, it's always nice to see another NA fan on this list!! Sometimes it gets lonely!!!! =) A couple of us have repeatedly tried to get Mitch to sign the WC onto the European rules. This statement may offend some of our European fans, but Mitch feels the European rules are too restricting and don't encourage manufacturer support!!
Old 25 May 2001, 22:41 (Ref:96668)   #9
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This announcement is good for the BTCC! This means teams entering cars in the 2002 ETCC [ Alfa , BMW , VW , Volvo , Nissan and Honda [ confirmed] and others may enter a car or two into the BTCC as well which would be good for us!
Old 25 May 2001, 23:26 (Ref:96682)   #10
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sure hope so, we could do with a few more works teams in different cars.
Old 26 May 2001, 00:42 (Ref:96692)   #11
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in favour of fia adopting rules but not having a european series!! just yet anyway

i think for the whole new regulations type of thing to get off the ground i think we need stability and an agreement between several countries that regulations would be the same, and for several years
uk,france,italy,germany being your main countries

european series dont appear to last very long and its too expensive shipping teams etc accross europe

firm believer of how f3 is run with platform regs in each country and then countries promoting special races eg macau so in the offseason for example have a mini world cup in each of the countries for example

and i believe that all the cars should stay regulation for at least 5 years allowing the privateer teams to compete in older machinery

it does all bode well for the future in these new regs
Old 26 May 2001, 12:54 (Ref:96858)   #12
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by hunttheshunt
I wonder if the BTCC will be the only stand-alone national TC series now. I mean the ETCC basically swallowed up the old German, Italian and French series, and the STCC is sticking with ST.

Not exactly- if I remember corectly, the ETC in it's original guide as the Euro STC came about because the Italian Super Turismo series and German STW Cup were pretty much dead anyway- I think it was the announced cancellation of the Italian series that prompted the Euro series last year
The French series had been in trouble for a number of years- I think it's still running for a mixture of Super Touring and cars built to local 'silhouette' rules- (think mid-engined V6 Astra and you've about got it)
STCC can't stick with it's old Super Tourers for ever, any more than the ETCC can- if all goes well, what we could be seeing here is the birth of a new worldwide Touring Car formula like Super Touring briefly was
Old 26 May 2001, 12:58 (Ref:96864)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by SPOONERBORO
in favour of fia adopting rules but not having a european series!! just yet anyway

i think for the whole new regulations type of thing to get off the ground i think we need stability and an agreement between several countries that regulations would be the same, and for several years
uk,france,italy,germany being your main countries

european series dont appear to last very long and its too expensive shipping teams etc accross europe

firm believer of how f3 is run with platform regs in each country and then countries promoting special races eg macau so in the offseason for example have a mini world cup in each of the countries for example

and i believe that all the cars should stay regulation for at least 5 years allowing the privateer teams to compete in older machinery

it does all bode well for the future in these new regs
I'm with you 100% on most of that, although I can't see why an ETCC of some kind can't exist alongside strong national series- the old ETCC managed to for 20-odd years until FIA politics killed it off. How about distancing it from competing with the national series by running it to the endurance format that the old one used- they don't have to be 3 hour races, just something a bit different to the normal sprints
Old 26 May 2001, 20:08 (Ref:96979)   #14
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well whatever, its great news that these rules have been adopted.

and i can't see honda, volvo and nissan staying away from the btcc. and i expect renault to be back soon as well!

superb!