Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Mar 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2426264)   #51
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least by putting on such a "Race",it will give the wealthier spectators time to go for a coffee!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2426452)   #52
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
At least by putting on such a "Race",it will give the wealthier spectators time to go for a coffee!
The long straights of Silverstone should allow these monsters to strech their legs and may well prove to be a very good race. Personally I think spectators will go for their coffee when the boring 2 litre saloons are on. This race is crying out for some big cars, it's the V8's most of us really like.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2426479)   #53
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You reckon to speak for 'most of us'?

Personally, I think you may find more than a few disagreeing with you on here (apart from a certain Mr. Weyman of course)...

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
This race is crying out for some big cars, it's the V8's most of us really like.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2426493)   #54
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The V8's were never thought to be very entertaining in BSCC in period so whats changed.Early 70's.Tractors with big engines.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2426512)   #55
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
It would have been nice to have been asked...

And Delta will be in charge of the entertainment

What a mate just told me he's on holiday Classic week.Looking for a chef with or without pink porsche bird.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2426513)   #56
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The long straights of Silverstone should allow these monsters to strech their legs and may well prove to be a very good race.
thats an interesting point, since, for instance, the 1908 Dieppe GP was a 48 mile triangle, and I think the winner Lautenschlager in his Merc, completed 10 laps. He averaged 69 mph, which is pretty stunning since he had ten tyre failures, which meant cutting off the blown cover and levering on a new one. If you've ever tried to change a beaded edge tyre, you will know it isnt a particularly pleasant job ! So the racing Edwardians were often high geared, and would be quite at home on the Gp circuit, the only problem being no brakes!

There would have to be a huge arm-twisting effort by someone to get any number of "proper" fast Edwardians out to play, but the aero engine cars are great fun, and would make up the grid to some effect. The only thing to keep up with them may be Mark Walkers 1904 LSR Delage, which might be ready after a 3 year marathon re-build. It is a 24 litre V8, shoe-horned into a tiny chassis, with 2 bucket seats for body work, a 2 speed back axle, (no diff), 15 cwt all-up, around 300 bhp, double that in ft-lbs of torque, a spindly drum on each back wheel for brakes, and tyres with 3" wide tread. Hmmm perhaps he should take up Drifting !
Old 28 Mar 2009, 06:43 (Ref:2426735)   #57
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
What a great idea get the drivers to do a tyre change in the race. Hang on "health and safty".O well.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 02:14 (Ref:2428608)   #58
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The long straights of Silverstone should allow these monsters to strech their legs and may well prove to be a very good race. Personally I think spectators will go for their coffee when the boring 2 litre saloons are on. This race is crying out for some big cars, it's the V8's most of us really like.
I'd be planning the coffee break (or pit walk) for the Super Tourer races myself, wouldn't miss the Edwardians as we don't really have them racing out here
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2429006)   #59
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And why not get the 20s cars to have a ride-along mechanic as well....

I can just hear the conversations: 'No I didn't over-rev it, it was your bad engineering','No, you over-revved it' etc .etc.

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
What a great idea get the drivers to do a tyre change in the race. Hang on "health and safty".O well.
Old 6 May 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2456715)   #60
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just been on the web site and found that i can apply for Multicar Prep space in the paddock. Going to apply then we need to get the BBQ sorted.Friday night would be good for me but at the end of the day dont mind too much which night.Will start a new thread a couple of weeks before the event so as to get an idea of numbers. Still lookimng for a couple of cooks.
Old 6 May 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2456744)   #61
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Early BBQ on both nights. Friday evening Pussycat Dolls on stage, and Saturday it's Santana.
Old 6 May 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2456807)   #62
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just been on the web site and found that i can apply for Multicar Prep space in the paddock. Going to apply then we need to get the BBQ sorted.Friday night would be good for me but at the end of the day dont mind too much which night.Will start a new thread a couple of weeks before the event so as to get an idea of numbers. Still lookimng for a couple of cooks.

I would put my hand up Iain,problem with the Pink Porsche though.
Old 7 May 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2456977)   #63
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand that the NMM Lotus 49 suffered damage yesterday against the pit wall.It looked a bit sad before the incident,not quite track ready !!!!!!!!!!
Old 7 May 2009, 07:35 (Ref:2456990)   #64
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ted sorry to hear that - that is why we pulled out of yesterday, a rushed job normally ends in disaster... however I hope we are ready for testing tomorrow!!!!
Old 7 May 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2457016)   #65
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Hi Iain,

Don't mind doing a stint with the implements and apron (I'm talking cooking, not freemasonry), as log as it's just a stint, not all night. 'Another lump of carbon in a bun, sir?'

James

Quote:
Still lookimng for a couple of cooks.
Old 7 May 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2457019)   #66
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just looked at provisional time table and Friday evening is good for me.As i said earlier i want to invite 10/10 Marshall's as well so i guess Friday would be good for them as well.Not to fussed about the pussy cat dolls but definitely want to see Santana.

Last edited by John Turner; 7 May 2009 at 09:04.
Old 7 May 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2457026)   #67
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Thanks James your on.Ive posted on the other Classic site that Friday would be good for me and i guess for 10/10 marshalls as well.
Old 7 May 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2457030)   #68
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ive just sent you a PM John. By the way are you comming to Silverstone this weekend. Ive still got the parcel for you and Peter from the Compte.
Old 7 May 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2457034)   #69
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well between Delta barbies and Roger's knees up, us ten tenthers are going to be well looked after!!!! Thank goodness I am staying on site!

Iain come and have a chat this weekend - my co driver is a pig farmer and his free range bangers are pretty good....
Old 7 May 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2457045)   #70
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Swine flu anyone?
Old 7 May 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2457046)   #71
simon drabble
Veteran

if I cant beat them on the track I will get them in the paddock - another cunning plan thwarted!
Old 7 May 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2457054)   #72
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ive just sent you a PM John. By the way are you comming to Silverstone this weekend. Ive still got the parcel for you and Peter from the Compte.
Ok, sorted, post moved here, Iain?

Unlikely to be at Silverstone, as Kevin is getting married on Saturday. If I can summon the effort to go anywhere on Sunday, I might get to Masters at Donington (if it's on!) as I don't get to see them too often, whereas I'm an HSCC regular, as you know! What parcel? I know of no parcel - intrigued, now!
Old 7 May 2009, 09:21 (Ref:2457059)   #73
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Wrong John .Sorry.
Old 7 May 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2457064)   #74
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And there was me thinking that a bottle of something awaited my attention!
Old 7 May 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2457067)   #75
simon drabble
Veteran

John I took it as that as well - Delta you will have to give JT a bottle now otherwise every spin you and le comte do wil be given star billing on here!!!