Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Apr 2021, 17:21 (Ref:4047951)   #2026
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
We would generally refer to a higher than direct 1:1 drive as being an "overdrive" top gear - as opposed to the earlier style Overdrive gearbox which would have a switchable auxiliary gearbox to raise (typically) 3rd and 4th gears on a four-speed box.
Merci pour la clarification, Richard! When talking about gearing when you say "higher" we say "lower". In fact speaking with hands helps a quite a lot!
Old 26 Apr 2021, 17:26 (Ref:4047952)   #2027
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Pleased Andrew Kitson completed a painting!!
Old 26 Apr 2021, 17:55 (Ref:4047954)   #2028
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Merci pour la clarification, Richard! When talking about gearing when you say "higher" we say "lower". In fact speaking with hands helps a quite a lot!

I guess whether it is higher or lower depends on which end of the input/output process you are. But yes of course in a final drive a higher numerical ratio gives you a lower practical gear
Old 26 Apr 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4047962)   #2029
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Excatley 4 months after Christmas and endless arguments I have been unable to fend off Mrs Delta.
" Finally took down the outside Christmas lights ".
Old 26 Apr 2021, 18:27 (Ref:4047967)   #2030
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Excatley 4 months after Christmas and endless arguments I have been unable to fend off Mrs Delta.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 26 Apr 2021, 18:40 (Ref:4047970)   #2031
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
*Exactly*
Old 26 Apr 2021, 18:54 (Ref:4047974)   #2032
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

As for power steering - I think we've all got soft as a result of using PAS cars all day.....

I remember when I used to think power steering was for wimps!
Guilty a charged m’lord.

Doesn’t help that I sit behind a desk and computer screen all day and don’t really do any physical work. I haven’t even been to the gym for over a year (although have just bought a decent rowing machine).
Old 26 Apr 2021, 18:56 (Ref:4047975)   #2033
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
*Exactly*
I thought it meant in the manner of a former feline?

Ex - cat - ley
Old 26 Apr 2021, 18:58 (Ref:4047978)   #2034
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I guess whether it is higher or lower depends on which end of the input/output process you are. But yes of course in a final drive a higher numerical ratio gives you a lower practical gear
From the 00's till 2007, I used to drive for a Belgian team entering the Championnat de France d'Endurance. We were called the two Gerard's, the first one being de Ville de Goyet. He's Belgian, Wallon, so speaks a better french than me. For instance, Wallons say "septante" when we say "soixante-dix" both meaning 70. We had a lot of complicity and respect for each other and it was a lot of fun when people around were listening to our technical conversations, me saying "nonante" and him saying "quatre-vingt-dix" for the temps.
Blessed times, cherished souvenir. In two words, Happy Days!
Old 27 Apr 2021, 07:14 (Ref:4048029)   #2035
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thats a shame as shops start their christmas rush next week!
Old 27 Apr 2021, 10:52 (Ref:4048063)   #2036
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Which Christmas are you talking about, 2019 or 2020?
Old 27 Apr 2021, 11:04 (Ref:4048066)   #2037
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
*Exactly*
Come on Peter, it wouldn't be the same without our daily laugh
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Apr 2021, 14:47 (Ref:4048290)   #2038
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blimey, what a day! So far I've had three calls from Amazon telling me I've spent £300 (each call) and need to confirm the order(s); I missed a call from my Internet Provider who is about to cut me off; and, now the Royal Mail son't deliver my package unless I pay £1.99. It's busier than working!
Old 28 Apr 2021, 14:57 (Ref:4048291)   #2039
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Blimey, what a day! So far I've had three calls from Amazon telling me I've spent £300 (each call) and need to confirm the order(s); I missed a call from my Internet Provider who is about to cut me off; and, now the Royal Mail son't deliver my package unless I pay £1.99. It's busier than working!
Some people have all the fun...
Old 28 Apr 2021, 15:04 (Ref:4048292)   #2040
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've got my steps in today just walking to the phone.
Old 28 Apr 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4048299)   #2041
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

These scum - I'm being quite polite here - seem to phone you via a number generator, and if it rings a real number, and especially if someone answers at that number, then they sell the number onwards to other scamming scumbags - again being polite - and so on and so forth.
Old 28 Apr 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4048318)   #2042
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I've got my steps in today just walking to the phone.
Mobile to the phone, may be…
Old 28 Apr 2021, 23:17 (Ref:4048372)   #2043
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
We have people in Spain going round to most of the English claiming that they are from Repsol and have got to check their gas bottle fittings and hoses.
They produce a piece of paper that looks official and have a badge and play mainly on older people. They then look at the hoses (they do have a date of manufacture printed on them) and if they are out of date they say that they must fit fit a new hose or (hoses) and charge over a €100 for one short piece of rubber hose ! I had one of them round a couple of years ago when I was on my own and I told him at the doorway to "go away" in no uncertain terms ! If my wife had been in without me I don't know what would have happened but she is pretty fluent in Spanish and isn't fooled easily.
You can buy the "official" hose in whatever length you like from the local ferreteria for peanuts and it's only fitted with jubilee clips in a couple of minutes.
Scams have got so bad that I have a job to take anyone's word now and as for the scammers on the phone I'm afraid they get a right ear bashing

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 28 Apr 2021 at 23:27.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Apr 2021, 04:35 (Ref:4048384)   #2044
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
We have people in Spain going round to most of the English claiming that they are from Repsol and have got to check their gas bottle fittings and hoses.
They produce a piece of paper that looks official and have a badge and play mainly on older people. They then look at the hoses (they do have a date of manufacture printed on them) and if they are out of date they say that they must fit fit a new hose or (hoses) and charge over a €100 for one short piece of rubber hose ! I had one of them round a couple of years ago when I was on my own and I told him at the doorway to "go away" in no uncertain terms ! If my wife had been in without me I don't know what would have happened but she is pretty fluent in Spanish and isn't fooled easily.
You can buy the "official" hose in whatever length you like from the local ferreteria for peanuts and it's only fitted with jubilee clips in a couple of minutes.
Scams have got so bad that I have a job to take anyone's word now and as for the scammers on the phone I'm afraid they get a right ear bashing
Thanks for that info Gordon. I will pass the info on to my Mum who as you know lives up the coast from your place in Spain, and also relies on bottled gas which she has delivered. Thanks again.
Old 29 Apr 2021, 08:36 (Ref:4048397)   #2045
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
People just need to remain suspicious. I'm sure your Mum won't get caught out EB and will keep getting the bottled gas she needs
Old 29 Apr 2021, 09:10 (Ref:4048407)   #2046
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Thanks for that info Gordon. I will pass the info on to my Mum who as you know lives up the coast from your place in Spain, and also relies on bottled gas which she has delivered. Thanks again.

Chris, I'm surprised that you appear to have not heard of this scam that has been going on for at least 20 years as far as I am aware. Like Gordon, this had been going on in the southern parts of the Costa Blanca when I lived there back in the early 2,000s, and the police have been unable to stop it because, technically, these people are not actually breaking the law, even though they often wear clothing with insignia that is very much similar to Repsol's own uniforms.
Old 29 Apr 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4048413)   #2047
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Thanks for that info Gordon.
May be you've enough hoses to resale them now? How many meters?
Old 29 Apr 2021, 12:52 (Ref:4048453)   #2048
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Just about everybody uses bottled gas in Spain as the only mains gas supply is in the major cities. Actually it's probably a good job that it isn't widely available because if the infrastructure is anything like the mains water supply in our area then there would be serious explosions all over the place !. The Spanish aren't the best at making sure that things are done properly with their "manana" attitude to everything unfortunately.
As an example some English friends of ours that were builders built their own house just down the road to us in the mid 70s. Most of the Spanish houses that have been built in the last 20 years in the same road are always in need of repair with massive cracks and water leaks from the flat roofs, whereas the place they built is structurally the same as the day it was built.
One of our best friends bought a plot of land on a hillside and had a villa built by Spanish builders. After a couple of years massive cracks started to appear and the builders had suddenly gone into administration (something they often seem to do) He took them to court and produced evidence that the foundations that should have been 3m deep were only 1m ! He did win the case and it was rectified with underpinning, however he had enough by then and sold it last year for 650k and moved back to the UK
Old 29 Apr 2021, 13:02 (Ref:4048454)   #2049
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

and the police have been unable to stop it because, technically, these people are not actually breaking the law, even though they often wear clothing with insignia that is very much similar to Repsol's own uniforms.
The Spanish police "could" stop it, I guarantee that if the perpetrators were English they would be hauled before the courts double quick !
Old 29 Apr 2021, 13:03 (Ref:4048455)   #2050
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Almost as weird as the scammers - our phone one this morning was a lady of some Eastern origin wanting to talk to me about my BT internet line, who seemed to lose interest rapidly when I advised we didn't have one - is our weather. I know its been said that we've had the chilliest April with manmy nights of air-frost, but I've just noted hail pattering down on the car outside my window, although the external thermometer says its 5C.........