Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Mar 2004, 02:45 (Ref:923539)   #1
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Aussie Race Car stars,

I've been thinking about getting into this class, but was wondering about the cost. Can one of you micro-Supercar racers give me an estimate cost on;
* what it costs to compete at a meeting,
* how much one of these puppies are
* how many pit crew you take with you for the meeting
* would you recomened Phil Ward take care of the car or do you maintain it yourself.....................

Cheers
Old 30 Mar 2004, 05:50 (Ref:923588)   #2
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummm, maybe I should have started a new thread. If I don't get much of a response, I might just do that ........
Old 30 Mar 2004, 13:21 (Ref:923955)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummmm you have started a new thread...

Last edited by RaceTime; 30 Mar 2004 at 13:22.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 14:25 (Ref:924025)   #4
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Edited
Old 31 Mar 2004, 00:25 (Ref:924613)   #5
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was talking to a lady that used to post here quite often the other day - sevi - . She has just bought or hired an Aussie racer for the season. She will have all the latest prices and can be contacted by email in the members list.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 00:44 (Ref:924624)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
Ummmm you have started a new thread...
Clearly with no title above his post this is a split thread, but the rolled eyes was a classy touch

OT, I've been looking into this as well, and it seems 'relatively' cost effective compared to other series.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 02:10 (Ref:924688)   #7
lazyman
Rookie

lazyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ring Phil Ward who builds the cars and runs the category.

http://www.aussieracingcars.com.au/

I looked into this also.. There are lease deals and the option to buy your own car...
Old 31 Mar 2004, 03:57 (Ref:924744)   #8
The Pressure !!
Racer

Australia
Sydney
The Pressure !! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RRR
Hey Aussie Race Car stars,

I've been thinking about getting into this class, but was wondering about the cost. Can one of you micro-Supercar racers give me an estimate cost on;
* what it costs to compete at a meeting,
Running cost or entry fees ?? Best to speak to Phil about these.

* how much one of these puppies are
About $40,000 new and about $25,000 onwards 2nd hand

* how many pit crew you take with you for the meeting
Dont need pit crew, there are 40 other drivers more than willing to help out in any way.

* would you recomened Phil Ward take care of the car or do you maintain it yourself
I maintain it myself as do most others. You only need basic machanical skills to look after one....and a lot of polish to keep looking good!!

Cheers

Anything eles just feel free to ask

Last edited by The Pressure !!; 31 Mar 2004 at 03:58.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 04:32 (Ref:924761)   #9
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
lcfp2297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TP,

What level of license is required, and how do you go about getting it...

Cheers
Old 31 Mar 2004, 09:46 (Ref:924982)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Imagine something with me for a minute.

Imagine that a person owns a racing car in a series.

And for reasons of a financial nature, that person is unable to drive the car this year in that series.

Imagine that the person still wants to get back into the sport in the future, so wants to keep the car in his/her control.

This person is known around and about, and has discovered a driver who wants to run in the series, has a budget to cover running costs, but has no car.

So the person with the car he cant use, and the driver without a car, agree to terms, set the price, set the damage conditions, pciks up the travel, wages and accomodation of the car's chief spanner... to finalise a lease of the car for each round of the series.

Imagine scrutineering for this category. That each vehicle goes thru a technical inspection, to scruit whatever it is that gets scruited in this class of racing.

The driver naturally assumes that once the car goes thru the scrutineering process, that the little "OK" sticker required for the car to leave the pitlane and venture onto the circuit is affixed.

Imagine that the driver gets to the end of pitlane at a racetrack far far away, and the car isnt allowed onto the circuit because it doesnt have one of these thingamybob stickers proclaiming the car to be scrutineered.

The driver figures its an organisational oversight, annoyed yet not wanting to kill anyone, wanders up to the car owner and asks whats going on... where is the sticker...

The car owner asks the happy little vegemites who look after the car where the scrutineering sticker is. They point him to the series promoter.

The car owner meets with the series promoter of this hypothetical series.

The series promoter of this hypothetical series begins by suggesting that a car in his/her/its series cannot be leased to another party because it contravenes the franchise agreement apparently in place.

And cops a barrage of abuse for not arranging the alleged lease thru the series promoter, as he could have got the car owner a better price as there was a queue of people wanting to join the series, and only the series promoter should judge who gets to drive in the series. Said all in front of the driver!!

The car owner is aware of no such agreement... but figures he has overlooked something, when the question is asked about how the issue can be remedied so the race driver (who has no real appreciation of what is going on by now) can take his car for a burn on the track.

The series promoter of this imaginery series then asks for a lease facilitation fee, to waive the clause of a franchise agreement that nobody seems to sure actually exists, to allow the driver to race.

The driver has current and prospective sponsors in the crowd at this ficticious race meeting, who are already asking questions as to why the car isnt circulating on the track.

The series promoter suggests that for the payment of a $2,000 (presumably plus GST), a scrutineering sticker will miraculously appear on the driver's car, and he will be able to participate in the imaginary series with all his/her fellow racers.

Feeling suitably fleeced... the driver and team owner head back to their pit tent to contemplate what has happened, and perform some more preparation on the car, which is now a couple of grams heavier because it has a sticker on it that wasnt there before. If the car exists anyway.

The next session comes around, and the driver participates as normal.

The car owner gets to thinking though, wondering if the $2k alleged facilitation fee is for the single round, or indeed the whole championship.

Once the last race for these invisible cars is over, the car owner moseys up to the series promoter to ask about the facilitation fee ongoing. And discovers the $2k is an ongoing fee, payable at all ongoing races. If the series promoter really exists.

Driver and car owner take the news onboard, and decide they cant fork out an extra $12k that isnt in the budget to complete the series. So have dropped out, contemplating their options.

Meantime, there may or may not be a dormant car in the shed of the car owner, and a driver with or without a budget who may or may not have wanted to drive. And a series promoter for an series which may well not exist who has taken secret commissions for someone leasing a car to someone else.

Something is rather smelly here. Or may not be. Depending if it happened or not. Which I am not saying either way.

Interesting isnt it.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Mar 2004, 09:58 (Ref:924995)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

Yes - but did they all live happily ever after? And does the fairy God-mother really wear Gucci shoes and drive a BMW?
Old 31 Mar 2004, 10:00 (Ref:924996)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, the imaginary driver took his money somewhere else, and the owner of the car which may or may not exist has an asset wasting away not being used, and a poisoned relationship with a person who may or may not be the series promoter....

So it turned to junk for everyone... YAY
Old 31 Mar 2004, 10:04 (Ref:924999)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And it raises an issue with how a sticker from the alleged national motorsport representative body (lets call them SMAC) allowed a category promoter to withhold a possible scrutineering sticker of an alleged series which may or may not exist, and allow a level of additional funding sourcing to be facilitated.

Does this blur the lines between category management and national competition body? if it indeed exists!
Old 31 Mar 2004, 10:04 (Ref:925000)   #14
lazyman
Rookie

lazyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm

Stories like this are why I chose another category...

Disgraceful!!!!
Old 31 Mar 2004, 10:19 (Ref:925013)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ouch!! Well if it did happen to occur, then it's got ACCC written all over it!

Let's hope that this is a theoretical GTR novel
Old 31 Mar 2004, 10:19 (Ref:925014)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

BUt those representatives of SMAC (who may or may not exist) are also sometimes likely to check out cars (purely on safety grounds you understand) and let it go through to possibly (or not as the case may be) race on a race track at a possible race meeting - and when the chief rep is asked 'How did you allow that car to get through scrutineering' he may (or may not have) said 'But we checked it for safety'

Which, after a short while, leads the questioning to 'But how did you identify the vehicle?' and the chief scrote errrrr scrute replies somthing like 'errrr we knew the car and driver'

And the Chief stipend then decides to ask the scrute 'Yes - but how did you identify the car - he has three numbers on the car'

Scrote (obviously thinking hard about this - which is quite obviously a possibly painful experience) 'yes thats right - bonnet and two doors...so?'

Stipend then suggests that the scrute look at the car and inform everyone which number he used - because all three just happened to be significantly different and none even matched the entered number of the car!

But, of course, this may never have happened either.

Or may even have happened more than once (with a couple of variations thrown in to make it even worse!)
Old 31 Mar 2004, 11:22 (Ref:925063)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hrmmmm, ummmm, sounds like this possible team may or may not have been busy in discussion with a possible promoter....

Shame that things like this may or may not happen and ruin motorsport... occurances like this may or may not be occuring in other forms of semi-professional motorsport, which may or may not be a shame.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:20 (Ref:925134)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

I presume that this may, or may not, be connected with motorsport then?

There again, maybe one day is beautiful, perfect the next - but maybe not - as the case may be, of course.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:46 (Ref:925160)   #19
Hybrid
Racer

Maybe now that we have a category approved by CAMS ie 2C under which ALL closed bike powered cars can race these imaginary disgruntled racers will have an alternative. All it takes is enough to fill a grid. If anyone is interested drop me a line. Maybe we could also make sure they don't clash with any other series.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:54 (Ref:925172)   #20
Hybrid
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Just Do It!
[B]Ouch!! Well if it did happen to occur, then it's got ACCC written all over it!

Whats it got to do with ACCC ? Try greed !
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:59 (Ref:925180)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

Trade Practices s45 and s46 - restraint and monopolistic trade

Last edited by RaceTime; 31 Mar 2004 at 12:59.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 13:15 (Ref:925209)   #22
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That could indeed be considered an "imaginery" bribe, could it not?

As series fees would have no impact on a safety scrutineering inspection - that would then breach CAMS standards as well, yes?
Old 31 Mar 2004, 13:17 (Ref:925211)   #23
Hybrid
Racer

Not against the theoretical one as he probably holds a contract with CAMS which allows him to make up his own rules as he goes.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 13:33 (Ref:925230)   #24
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would hate to think that hypothetical story could be true...
Old 31 Mar 2004, 14:21 (Ref:925277)   #25
Hybrid
Racer

Gee Im glad you wrote that GTR and not me.