Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:30 (Ref:3986162)   #26
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quicker than a Chiron? The latest on the Lotus Evija

'“When you’re cruising at 70-80mph and hit the throttle, it’s got more performance than it has from a standstill. The straights at Hethel become quite short.”
“We’re a single-speed car, and we put the performance in the envelope we wanted. So we’re not challenging the laws of physics, going below two seconds to 62mph, and then having a low top speed. We positioned the bandwidth of the motor to where we want the performance”.'

A lot has been made in the past of how EVs have great performance from standstill, but higher up the counter things are a bit different. It sounds like Lotus have looked at this, and in a hyper-car developed the 'power' to be where it is needed most?
Old 6 Jul 2020, 10:26 (Ref:3986212)   #27
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
In the first quarter of 2020, the registration of electrically chargeable passenger vehicles in the European Union (EU), UK, and EFTA countries increased by 82% to 228,210 cars. The sales of battery-electric cars grew by a slower 58% to 130,297. These increases came despite the effect of the coronavirus from March onwards, which saw the total European new car market contract by just over a quarter during the first three months of 2020. Germany surpassed Norway as the market leader for battery electric vehicles in Europe. Germany also overtook the United Kingdom as the largest market for plug-in hybrid vehicles in Europe but the British market remained the leader in hybrid vehicles overall.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Jul 2020, 10:36 (Ref:3986216)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
'“When you’re cruising at 70-80mph and hit the throttle, it’s got more performance than it has from a standstill."'

A lot has been made in the past of how EVs have great performance from standstill, but higher up the counter things are a bit different. It sounds like Lotus have looked at this, and in a hyper-car developed the 'power' to be where it is needed most?
Whilst the engineering is impressive - it's all a bit pointless isn't it? If you're cruising at 70 why the hell do you need rocketship accerlation from that point onwards? Realistically where are you going to use it?

To be fair that stacks up with ICE supercars too - lots of performance that has absolutely no practical application.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 10:52 (Ref:3986220)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Whilst the engineering is impressive - it's all a bit pointless isn't it? If you're cruising at 70 why the hell do you need rocketship accerlation from that point onwards? Realistically where are you going to use it?

To be fair that stacks up with ICE supercars too - lots of performance that has absolutely no practical application.
Oh, I totally agree. A lot of what many performance vehicles can do (regardless of power-train) is to many pointless.

Ferrari LaFerrari - 0-186mph in just 15sec.
Koenigsegg One:1 - 250mph from rest in less than 20sec.

When looking at those performance figures - many would possibly ask why?

Personally, I think a lot of what the real upper end of performance cars are capable of (as a road car) is about demonstrating the expertise and talent of the manufacturer, as opposed to giving the owner something they actually need. In that respect, this Lotus seems to be joining the same set of 'rules' of car design.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 14:56 (Ref:3986752)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Tesla Cybertruck in Demand as Pre-Orders Top 650K

'"We estimate that pre-order levels are staggering coming out of the gates since announced last year and currently stand north of 650,000 based on our estimate with momentum," [Dan] Ives said. Ford Motor Company, the leader in the pick-up truck market, sells roughly 1 million F-150 pickups per year.'

With that level of orders (if the figure is reliable) then how common will the Cybertruck be on the roads. It's looks are definitely something that has drawn comment, but with them becoming more commonplace will the impact start to diminish?
sorry going back a bit...have no problem with EVs and think Tesla is a cool company but i just doubt their ability to scale up production and meet the demand. i think people will be waiting a long long time to see delivery and in the meantime the traditional manus will catch up with more modestly priced EVs and established dealership network that fits with how people are used to buying cars.

if one was serious about buying an EV then why would they wait? particularity when there looks to be so so many more options soon to be available for immediate purchase?
Old 8 Jul 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3986769)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
sorry going back a bit...have no problem with EVs and think Tesla is a cool company but i just doubt their ability to scale up production and meet the demand. i think people will be waiting a long long time to see delivery and in the meantime the traditional manus will catch up with more modestly priced EVs and established dealership network that fits with how people are used to buying cars.

if one was serious about buying an EV then why would they wait? particularity when there looks to be so so many more options soon to be available for immediate purchase?
I guess they are using the 'confirmed orders' line to help their market strategy.
But in reality, if you were selling a $40k item, and the deposit was just $100 that was fully refundable at any time, would you really consider it to be a firm order?

I'm anticipating that a lot of deposits may be taken back over the next few months/years as people opt for an alternative.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 23:03 (Ref:3986857)   #32
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I guess they are using the 'confirmed orders' line to help their market strategy.
But in reality, if you were selling a $40k item, and the deposit was just $100 that was fully refundable at any time, would you really consider it to be a firm order?

I'm anticipating that a lot of deposits may be taken back over the next few months/years as people opt for an alternative.
Possibly it will be like getting your name on the "Morgan" order book, and sell it on at an inflated price before you take delivery
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jul 2020, 06:04 (Ref:3986896)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
If you are more interested in how older vehicles can still have a place in a world if combustion engines are no longer permitted - a garage in Grenfell provides a service to electrify classic VWs.

I appreciate some people might not be keen on such a move, feeling it loses the authenticity of such a car. But, particularly in the world of classic VWs, so many people modify older vehicles in ever increasingly ways so why not turn it electric?

Old 9 Jul 2020, 06:09 (Ref:3986897)   #34
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
We've also seen that the hot-hatch market is looking like prime territory for an increase in EV sales. Cupra have an entry into that market with the El-Born.

For a VW group car, it's no surprise that the MEB platform sits underneath this body.
'Since the 2019 El-Born concept was unveiled Cupra's design team have given it a new, brand-specific look, largely centring around a more aggressive front-end redesign and bespoke interior details.'

Old 9 Jul 2020, 11:00 (Ref:3986937)   #35
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I think that this film is interesting regarding electric vehicles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljVAA1Tr8Yo
Old 9 Jul 2020, 16:34 (Ref:3987012)   #36
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If you are more interested in how older vehicles can still have a place in a world if combustion engines are no longer permitted - a garage in Grenfell provides a service to electrify classic VWs.
anecdotal, but several of the custom car shows seems to be making it more acceptable to modernize a classic car rather than attempt to restore them to factory/original condition. maybe just a natural transition as old parts are harder to come by and people wanting a more comfortable modern ride experience with all the tech while enjoying a classic body styling.

i can see these sorts of conversion garages absolutely becoming more and more common place.

and if the conversions are reasonably priced relative to a new EV, many may opt to upgrade/convert their existing gas car rather than buy a new vehicle.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 20:57 (Ref:3987067)   #37
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

And a lot of those pre-orders are people expecting to sell their slot later for a profit. It worked on the S, not so much on the Model 3 later in the run.

The old chassis electric thing is huge in California. There are a number of shops doing VW and 911 swaps. Wheeler Dealer used one of the shops for a Maserati years ago. Sold very well.
Old 10 Jul 2020, 06:35 (Ref:3987120)   #38
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Links or connections to historical models seem to be a continuing trend in the world of EVs.
Are the makers looking to appeal to a certain market, genuinely reflecting their brands' heritage, or simply recycling names from their bank?

Jaguar are potentially using one of their most iconic names, in a refreshed way.
Jaguar EV-Type: trademark filing hints at electric F-Type successor

'The name EV-Type appears to be a reference to the iconic Jaguar E-Type sports car of the 1960s and 1970s. This, along with the fact that the only Jaguar model still using the ‘Type’ suffix is the F-Type, adds considerable weight to the assumption.

It is still believed that Jaguar hasn’t firmly decided on what form the replacement for the F-Type will take, despite its designers having strong ideas. Former design director Ian Callum revealed last year that he had created a blueprint for Jaguar’s next-generation sports car with a mid-engined layout and a look inspired by the ill-fated C-X75 of 2010.'
Old 13 Jul 2020, 08:54 (Ref:3987847)   #39
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Talking of delays, and having to wait for EV delivery.
Jaguar's electric XJ will be delayed until late 2021.

It seems that the pressures of COVID-19 at the factory has meant they need to concentrate on existing models in the near future. Will short term gains lead to long term problems for the firm?
Old 14 Jul 2020, 08:42 (Ref:3988148)   #40
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
BMW’s second fully electric model, the iX3, has been revealed in full production form two years after making its debut as a concept.

When I first read the article, I was surprised that this was only the second full EV from BMW, but it seems to be one of many that are coming over the next few months/years.

Have they taken the name from Saab (9-3)?
Old 14 Jul 2020, 09:15 (Ref:3988150)   #41
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What ugly wheels on a vehicle that looks just like every other one!
Old 15 Jul 2020, 08:42 (Ref:3988485)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
It seems that towing ability is being considered by EV manufacturers.

2021 Skoda Enyaq iV Spied Testing With A Trailer

I guess it's to be expected, that while early models focused on specific sales groups, the uptake in EVs sees an ever-increasing range (excuse the pun) of options being available. Different requirements will continue to be met, although there are still some hurdles to overcome.

'First, we see a heavily disguised vehicle being carefully unloaded from a truck and then taking on a test route somewhere in the Alps. It’s towing a two-axle trailer and is being followed by a Skoda Superb, which is probably transporting engineers of the automaker and some testing equipment.'

Old 16 Jul 2020, 06:55 (Ref:3988648)   #43
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Dacia Spring: The Most Affordable EV In Europe

'Primarily based on the Renault Kwid developed for India and Brazil, the Dacia Spring will retain the same measures the K-ZE City presents. The affordable Chinese EV is 3.74 m (147.2 in) long, 1.58 m (62.2 in) wide, 1.48 m (58.3 in) tall, and has a 2.42 m (95.3 in) wheelbase. The K-ZE offers 300 l (10.6 ft³) or luggage space and weighs 921 kg (2,031 lb).'

This obviously, as the title of the article says, is a car aimed right at the bottom end of the price bracket in terms of EVs. A lot has been made about many EVs being too expensive and out of reach of many motorist's budget. Will an EV priced in the region of €10,000 end the fear of EVs being too expensive?

Old 17 Jul 2020, 16:58 (Ref:3989071)   #44
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice bicycle tires on it. Should be fun in inclement weather with EV torque, better have a good TV. And they can have GREAT TC systems with wheel sensors and electric motors. But there are costs to that
Old 17 Jul 2020, 20:11 (Ref:3989113)   #45
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Nissan Ariya

4.60 m long

Front or four-wheel drive
220-400 hp electric engine
63-87 kWh batteries

Old 20 Jul 2020, 08:07 (Ref:3989675)   #46
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Opinion: An electric performance future needs sounds of the past

The thought is put forward that EVs still need to retain some form of engine note?

'A number of EVs have had a stab at artificially generated sound, but pretty much all emit a humming, sci-fi whoosh deemed suitably space-age for the new electric generation. The Taycan’s isn’t too offensive, but I’m finding myself increasingly convinced that more brands need to have a crack at offering realistic combustion engine notes in their EVs.'

Thoughts? Personally, I feel it would be wrong for an EV to try and sound like a combustion engine. Why try to be something it is not? I think it should be accepted that an EV is different - and that can also go through to the looks as well as sound. Why does the typical family/small car have to have power unit in front of the cabin, with the storage at the back and the fuel source somewhere around the rear seats? It is a practical design choice for an ICE car, but is it the best choice for EVs?
Old 20 Jul 2020, 12:22 (Ref:3989727)   #47
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thoughts? Personally, I feel it would be wrong for an EV to try and sound like a combustion engine. Why try to be something it is not? I think it should be accepted that an EV is different - and that can also go through to the looks as well as sound.
You'd have thought it'd be an easy enough thing to personalise - select your chosen sound from a menu (much like selecting a radio station or whatever). But however they make noise they do need to make some - a friend of mine is registered blind and they hate electric cars - they're too quiet, they need to be heard approaching!

Quote:
Why does the typical family/small car have to have power unit in front of the cabin, with the storage at the back and the fuel source somewhere around the rear seats? It is a practical design choice for an ICE car, but is it the best choice for EVs?
I was thinking about this (given that a lot of the recently announced EV's are just appalling generic SUV's). I guess crash protection has a bit to do with it - you need something in front of the driver to absorb impact (so something looking like the old VW campers is a no go as there's no room for crumple zones). Storage at the back makes sense as you can load to the ceiling and fold down rear seats to increase load space. So you're pretty limited in what you can do really if you're trying to make a practical car.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 12:57 (Ref:3989733)   #48
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I guess crash protection has a bit to do with it - you need something in front of the driver to absorb impact (so something looking like the old VW campers is a no go as there's no room for crumple zones).
That got me thinking - what does the EV VW Bus look like.

The driver is not quite as close to the ultimate front of the vehicle, but is fairly close.

A totally different vehicle type, but the majority of European trucks have the driver right at the front of the vehicle, albeit sat above the engine but still with little to protect them in a frontal impact with anything taller than six feet.

I'm sure the designers have already considered it, but could the front seats be above the power unit or fuel store in an EV, opening up more space in the rear half? Maybe it's similar to the 'need' for an engine sound - people want something they are familiar with and the generic compact SUV style is so common then Evs are following suit?

On the point of having sound to give awareness of a vehicle's presence, I agree that it aids safety. Not sure it needs to represent a combustion engine though - how about a digital sound that increases in volume based on proximity to other objects/pedestrians?
Old 20 Jul 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3989781)   #49
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
You'd have thought it'd be an easy enough thing to personalise - select your chosen sound from a menu (much like selecting a radio station or whatever). But however they make noise they do need to make some - a friend of mine is registered blind and they hate electric cars - they're too quiet, they need to be heard approaching!
i had not considered that.

personally i live somewhere with a lot of motorcycles in the summer and large trucks year round and the people who drive them seem to love louder the better...particularly when driving through my neighbourhood.

but that is a fair point. actually when i think about myself driving, the engine noise from other vehicles is also a marker i use to judge what is around me.

i suppose what we are talking about though is EVs also being combined with more and more autonomous driving features making cars that much less accident prone and less likely to hit a pedestrian or car in the lane over.

would also be less need for structural reinforcement and thus allowing for more storage if there is less chance for accidents...over time anyways as the self driving/autonomous safety features are refined.

i suppose one could take that further into cars weighing less and thus requiring even less power to move it and less materials translating into lower costs.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 08:04 (Ref:3989890)   #50
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
On the subject of looks - and retaining the same body shapes as ICE cars, BMW have confirmed that they will continue with platforms that are both ICE and EV powered.

Why BMW isn’t going all-electric just yet

'While many other manufacturers race to develop and perfect EV-only platforms, BMW is taking an altogether different approach. For the foreseeable all its platforms will be able to accept all types of powertrain – from full-electric, via plug-in hybrid to ICE.

BMW spokesperson Wieland Brúch explains: “We learned [with the i3], and also with the i8, that the speed with which electrification is picking up velocity all around the world is very different from market to market because customer needs are so different.”

“That’s why we readjusted our strategy, and we are very convinced that for the next many years flexibility is the key to success, meaning that every customer should have the choice about the drivetrain they wish to get.”'

It makes sense to keep your options open with powertrain install for the foreseeable future, but I wonder if the potential of an EV is compromised by fitting the components into a design originally intended for ICE use?