Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 24 Nov 2007, 20:56 (Ref:2074883)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
2008 paint schemes

The last couple of weeks most Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series teams have launched there 2008 paint schemes. At that time the Chase was still running and getting the front covers in the media. Isn't it more interesting (= more publicity) to launch the paint schemes in December and early January?

BTW I don't understand why F1 teams don't use different liveries (stockcars have paint schemes, F1 cars have liveries ) througout the season. If I remember well Jaguar and Red Bull did this at Monaco a few times and it gave some extra publicity.
Old 24 Nov 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2074909)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 teams get it wrong though. Their liveries are as dull as dull can be and therefore any variations are, err, dull as well. Also, Bernie gets cross at livery inconsistency.

It has always struck me how early NASCAR teams release their liveries. Jr had his paint schemes released a couple of months ago, and Kyle Busch and JPM's liveries have been hovering around a few weeks now too.

Whatever, it is cool how distinctive the liveries are and how you come to associate them with drivers in many ways. For example, Jeff Gordon will forever be Mr Dupont, or to my mind at least!
Old 24 Nov 2007, 22:21 (Ref:2074930)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
It has always struck me how early NASCAR teams release their liveries. Jr had his paint schemes released a couple of months ago, and Kyle Busch and JPM's liveries have been hovering around a few weeks now too.
Is it because of merchandising and diecast models?

Quote:
Whatever, it is cool how distinctive the liveries are and how you come to associate them with drivers in many ways. For example, Jeff Gordon will forever be Mr Dupont, or to my mind at least!
Agree
Old 25 Nov 2007, 16:22 (Ref:2075212)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Contracts for sponsors. and when the Sponsor would like to make the announcmences.

funny we call them paint scheems, but they are no longer paint, Just big vehical wraps or like a big decal.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 03:26 (Ref:2075509)   #5
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
funny we call them paint scheems, but they are no longer paint, Just big vehical wraps or like a big decal.
This is true most of the time, but for some of the big races like, Daytona 500 and the All-Star race the teams will use real paint because they think that it looks better.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 00:36 (Ref:2076946)   #6
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no doubt about that. I was looking to wrap my car, rather than paint it for 2008. However, my final plans are to use some good old fashioned "Metalflake" to add some sparkle. You can't do that with vinyl!

I'll post a couple of my planned liveries later.... The wonders of computer rendering!
Old 2 Dec 2007, 12:00 (Ref:2079820)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its nice to see new paint jobs come out early, so you can get used to them before the season starts. Plus it means that diecasts can be put on order sooner.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 23:18 (Ref:2081020)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hehehe. EXACTLY!
Old 4 Dec 2007, 03:31 (Ref:2081122)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It will most certainly be about marketing.

This is one aspect where NASCAR and F1 are rather similar: they are both big marketing exercises that happen to use motorsport as their vehicles (so to speak).
Old 13 Dec 2007, 17:49 (Ref:2088105)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Got to say I'm loving the Gibbs schemes for next year. Snazzy design changes and looks great on the Camry.

Meanwhile I commiserate Casey Mears, who will be running the Kelloggs livery next year. You wouldn't wish that on anybody.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 02:29 (Ref:2088372)   #11
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Got to say I'm loving the Gibbs schemes for next year. Snazzy design changes and looks great on the Camry.
If you want to see them next year you better look at them in the pre-race. The TV camera generally only follows the front runners during the race.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 02:39 (Ref:2088378)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

You don't think Gibbs will get that barge up and running quickly then? Gotta say, I reckon they'll do better than most expect.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 13:40 (Ref:2088749)   #13
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton

This is one aspect where NASCAR and F1 are rather similar: they are both big marketing exercises that happen to use motorsport as their vehicles (so to speak).
...except Nascar is actually exciting to watch
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 14 Dec 2007, 16:42 (Ref:2088882)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton

I get the impression (in general):
F1: Business to business marketing
NASCAR: Marketing more aimed at consumers
Old 14 Dec 2007, 17:14 (Ref:2088919)   #15
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I get the impression (in general):
F1: Business to business marketing
NASCAR: Marketing more aimed at consumers
Without a doubt, Nascar is aimed directly at the consumer. Take a look at any of the cars. Evidently it is a paying proposition to sponsor a Nascar Team. Anything associated with Jr probably pays dividends, or so it is hoped.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 00:46 (Ref:2089756)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

As well as the Texaco Havoline and Big Red, JPM will also run the Juicy Fruit livery.

Old 18 Dec 2007, 23:33 (Ref:2091657)   #17
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Well, since we are discussing paint schemes you better get used to this one as we are going to see it up front a lot next year.

Last edited by muggle not; 18 Dec 2007 at 23:36.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 15:58 (Ref:2091999)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
After such an iconic combo of the red Budweiser car with #8 on the door it is really tough to swallow the new colours and #88. I am sure though that we'll soon get used to it if (when) it allows Jr to run up the front more often
Old 19 Dec 2007, 16:37 (Ref:2092022)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I don't like the new #88 liveries (although they may grow on me), but I found it harder to come to terms with the Kahne Budweiser car. It just seems... wrong even though it probably ain't all that different.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 16:47 (Ref:2092029)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Who'd have thought a single number change could make a car look so different? I'd not seen the photo of the #9 car but I looked it out and, boy, it really does look... just, erm, wrong!
Old 13 Feb 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2128317)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

OK, I'm now hooked on the #88 liveries. The National Guard livery looked great Saturday in motion and surely this will be replicated for the other liveries. The Amp/Mountain Dew one is promising.

Interestingly, I was watching the "Shifting Gears" program about Jr's move to Hendrick and it seems that his liveries were designed by a friend he plays against in online computer games.