Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 12 Dec 2013, 00:16 (Ref:3342950)   #1
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
valet_dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PS4 (GT6) - Online subscription

I've been on the fence in terms of waiting to buy GT6 for my PS3, or hold off and buy a PS4 (they're sold out in Oz until January, or so I've heard).

But then I found out you will have to pay a subscription fee to play any online PS4 titles. I think it's less than a hundred dollars... but still... it used to cost me nothing!

My question I guess... is there an advantage to running GT6 on the PS4?

Is a subscription fee a deal breaker for you?

Dave
Old 12 Dec 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3342952)   #2
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe PS3 games are playable on PS4, and GT6 is a PS3 game.

So, to make your decision easier, if you want to play GT6, you have to have a PS3.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3343089)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All PS games are compatible with each other on PS4

It was part of the reason Xbox delayed their release as they were going to make their new system non backwards compatible, until Sony let us play old games on a 4.

So you will be able to play 3 games on a 4.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3343112)   #4
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
All PS games are compatible with each other on PS4

It was part of the reason Xbox delayed their release as they were going to make their new system non backwards compatible, until Sony let us play old games on a 4.

So you will be able to play 3 games on a 4.
No you won't. The PS3 and 4 are built in entirely different ways. Neither PS4 nor Xbox One is backwards compatible in the sense that you can put in a PS3/360 disk into a PS4/One and it would work.

What they might do eventually is release an update so this is possible or more likely they'll re-release PS3 games in the PSN Store but they are bound to may you pay for this service because nostalgia sells.

The reason Xbox cocked themselves up wasn't due to backwards combatabilty but because they were introducing a charge on used games.

Last edited by beau1; 12 Dec 2013 at 11:46.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 23:24 (Ref:3343390)   #5
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
So, to make your decision easier, if you want to play GT6, you have to have a PS3.
Wow, I mistakenly assumed the GT6 release would be aimed at the PS4 platform. That makes the decision easier!
Old 13 Dec 2013, 11:45 (Ref:3343626)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That seems like a huge error on their part

And will lead to a massive initial downturn in sales.

Dumbass Japanese
Old 13 Dec 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3343665)   #7
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
~80 million PS3's sold worldwide to date
~2 million PS4

Which platform will sell more games?

The word is that GT will appear on PS4 in a year or so. Given that it's PD we're talking about, expect it around 2016....
Old 13 Dec 2013, 18:04 (Ref:3343776)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The GT fanboys will buy GT6.5 when it's launched for the PS4.
Selling (almost) the same game 2 times. That's smart business.

Old 13 Dec 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3343784)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Indeed it is

Which is even more of a reason why this current game is likely not much of an update!

But these guys are experts at this so no surprise
Old 16 Dec 2013, 02:33 (Ref:3344440)   #10
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
The GT fanboys will buy GT6.5 when it's launched for the PS4.
Selling (almost) the same game 2 times. That's smart business.

Obviously it's a business model that works and they're not going to make a loss, but in my case, I was leaning toward buying a PS4, but now there's no carrot. I'm not sure if I'd call it smart, to miss out on a whole market segment, but then I guess it wasn't really Sony's choice.

Even IF I do eventually upgrade with the next GT release, their profit margins will be much lower after the marketing hype dies down and the discounting cycle starts. But nothing for shareholders to be worried about!
Old 29 Dec 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3348597)   #11
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GT games have 2 editions on each Playstation platform. GT7 will be for the PS4, although I have been told that you can download GT6 from the PSN that can run on PS4. I don't know how accurate this is.