Closed Thread

Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1248661)   #1
Setantra
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Setantra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst Driver Ever

Who, in your opinion, is the WORST driver ever to grace the cockpit of an F1 car.

My nominations are......Tiago Monteiro, Zsolt Baumgartner, Jan Magnussen, Esteban Tuero, Luciano Burti, etc.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Setantra; 10 Mar 2005 at 16:32. Reason: Offence caused. Bellof is great.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1248666)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OMG . OMG . you put Bellof on tha list ??

prepare to get your ass kicked

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1248668)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bellof? What a ridiculous inclusion, this guy nearly won Monaco as a rookie from 20th on the grid. Tuero did well considering his youth and inexperience, and Magnussed had a lot of talent but somehow showed little of it in F1.

In recent years I'd say Jean Denis Deletraz is probably the worst, but the overall standard was a lot lower in the 50s and 60s - beyond the obvious superstars there were a lot of private entries and gentleman racers involved, and far less people ever had a chance to try their hand at racing.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1248669)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We have done these sort of threads in the past and I've never found they canvass positive comment. I find it hard to believe that anyone could list Bellof amongst that company.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1248673)   #5
Setantra
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
So did everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Bellof? What a ridiculous inclusion, this guy nearly won Monaco as a rookie from 20th on the grid.
Nearly won it? So did De Cesaris, Pironi, Senna etc. But, Patrese won, after spinning at the hairpin. So, therefore, not much of an achievement on Bellofs part, then.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1248674)   #6
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he saved himself by editing the post

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1248678)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setantra
Nearly won it? So did De Cesaris, Pironi, Senna etc. But, Patrese won, after spinning at the hairpin. So, therefore, not much of an achievement on Bellofs part, then.

You're confusing two different races there.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1248684)   #8
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was '84 when Bellof almost won, and '82 when Patrese did. As I recall, Senna was catching Prost at a second a lap in the wet when the race was stopped, while Bellof was catching Senna at a similar rate. I think Senna vs Bellof could well have been the theme of late '80s, early '90s F1 had things worked out differently.

Anyway, back on topic, Jean-Denis Deletraz would have to have my vote for a) qualifying an F1 Larrouse at the '95 Portugese GP in a time that would have put him near the back of the F3000 grid the same weekend, and b) stalling on the racing line coming out of the hairpin.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1248685)   #9
Setantra
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Apologies, Prost won it in controversial circumstances.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1248693)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Deletraz surely...

Philippe Adams springs to mind as well, every single Belgian with a remote interest in motorsport is terribly sorry to unleash that guy on F1...
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1248708)   #11
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Otto Stuppacher.

At Monza 1976, on his GP debut, he was 8 seconds off the next slowest guy (Merzario).

At Mosport, for his 2nd, he was 7 seconds off the next slowest.

At Watkins Glen, for his 3rd, he was 6 seconds off Henri Pescarolo, who had practice problems. The next slowest guy who had a trouble-free practice was 20 seconds ahead of him...

They used to have a 110% rule, then a 107% rule, as a cut off for DNQing. With Otto, his best performance would have required a 115% rule; his worst would have needed a 127% rule...

Needless to say he DNQ'd every time. At Monza he was too slow, even though technically he out-qualified Hunt et al after the Italian stewards cheated, so he would not have been allowed to race. Before you blame his old Tyrrell for his lack of pace, Alex Pesenti-Rossi (an average F2 driver) got the same model to the grid a few times fairly handily.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1248714)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know this is off-topic, but I was thinking about Monaco 1982 a few nights ago. It looked like Patrese recieved outside assistance when he rejoined after the spin, so presumably they should've dtopped scoring the car. The thing is, no one else completed the full distance, with Pironi and de Cesaris stopping on the final lap and everyone else being lapped. So how would the result have gone if it had continued until someone else completed 78 laps, and where would Patrese have been classified?
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1248716)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Who, in your opinion, is the WORST driver ever to grace the cockpit of an F1 car.

My nominations are......Tiago Monteiro, Zsolt Baumgartner, Jan Magnussen, Esteban Tuero, Luciano Burti, etc.

Enjoy.

Tiago Monteiro has only had one race, give him a chance....

Baumgartner turned out to be better than what was thought of him, especially compared to his first qualifying session when he was all over the place, yet he was consistent, and brought the car home, as a result out shinned Bruni.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1248722)   #14
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:

Enjoy.

Magnusen??????

Last edited by Super Tourer; 10 Mar 2005 at 17:15. Reason: Autocensor there for a reason - read the FAQ's.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1248723)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As for my worst driver I have seen. It would have to be Alex Yoong, you can't say he didn't have any opportunities.

As for Luciano Burti, he wasn't the worst driver of all time, and don't forget he was in the Prost......
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1248726)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
There's no need to be offensive, question the post not the poster.
And it's only his view.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 10 Mar 2005 at 17:22.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1248735)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
Magnusen??????

Personal attacks are not going to get you very far, sir.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1248737)   #18
Setantra
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Thank you. Sorry if I caused offence. I also thought Firman (also irish) was not the best driver in the world, so why are you getting all uptight about the Danish thing. No offence to your country, but I just didn't feel that Magnussen made the cut for Formula One. And wasn't he replaced by Verstappen mid way through the 1998 season? Case closed
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1248738)   #19
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie Ecclestone

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1248741)   #20
Setantra
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
no major argument there.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1248743)   #21
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trouble with most of the recent nominations, and partic those in the orig post, is that they were in some of the most appalling machinery imaginable. You really need to look at the midfield to figure out who is really pants.

Like Ralph Firman, for example. And Enrico Bernoldi. And Pedro Diniz. All of whom (and lets face it, a lot of pants drivers are at least entertaining to watch) were just so very boring.

And if Baumgartner is in the nominations, why not Giorgio Pantano? At least Zsolt scored a point!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1248746)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I don't think any of the original names are among the worst 10% of the 800 or so guys who've competed in F1 races, other than maybe Baumgartner (but even he acheived a lot more than many theoretically-better drivers, mainly through hard work and the right attitude).

I wouldn't put Bernoldi among the worst either - how many other people have overtaken Schumacher in any machinery, let alone an Arrows? Diniz outqualified Hill at Spa in the same car as well, and eventually became quite respectable. Stuppacher is surely one of the worst, as ensign says.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 10 Mar 2005 at 17:18.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1248747)   #23
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A heads up to everyone - worst/best driver threads often bring out the worst reaction in people - perhaps we can bear this in mind should a driver you follow be named....
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1248751)   #24
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
As for my worst driver I have seen. It would have to be Alex Yoong, you can't say he didn't have any opportunities.

As for Luciano Burti, he wasn't the worst driver of all time, and don't forget he was in the Prost......
And, er, don't forget that Alex Yoong was in the Minardi! What opportunities did he have exactly? Alex occasionally showed flashes of brilliance and was fun to watch. I mean, I know Melbourne 2002 was a bit, er, unusual, but he Alex cut it with Mika Salo and Pedro de la Rosa then.

Oh, and can I add Gaston Mazzacane? I know he was in a Minardi too, but he was big Bridget Jones-style pants.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1248756)   #25
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ricardo Rosett must rank fairly high up on the list of Bad F1 drivers.

Trying to perform a spin turn at Monaco and clouting the barrier causing retirement.

Driving into an obvious crash at Spa in the wet, cars going in all directions and he drives straight towards it with the foot buried to the floor.
Closed Thread