Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Feb 2022, 08:39 (Ref:4100007)   #5651
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
EB do you think the badge looks like this below

Attachment 73743
Yes I think so We might be onto something here.
(The car I mentioned and remembered from Phillip Island. The pic inspired me to check my photos )

Added a couple iconic Aussie Sports cars of note in the same display to make up the post..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3011 (2).JPG   IMG_3012 (2).JPG   IMG_3018 (2).JPG  

IMG_3026 (2).JPG   IMG_3027 (2).JPG   IMG_3017 (3).JPG  

Last edited by E.B; 24 Feb 2022 at 09:05.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 16:56 (Ref:4100107)   #5652
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For anyone that is interested a bit of the history on the Elfin ME5 (the black one)

1969 ELFIN ME5 SPORTS RACING CAR - ONE OFF - GROUP A

Quote:
The Elfin ME5 was a unique sports car built in Adelaide by Garrie Cooper's team for Neil Allen to replace his Type 400.

Delivered new in October 1969, it was intended to be a more competitive proposition against Frank Matich's Repco V8 powered Matich SR4 (EB note:the blue car picture beneath the Elfin.) and Bob Jane's similar engined McLaren M6 driven by John Harvey.

Garrie Cooper's naming of the new car was basically 'M' for Monocoque, 'E' for Elfin and '5' for 5 Litre engine capacity.

Principal builders and designers at Elfin in South Australia were Ron Lambert and Tony Alcock, who at the time had just recently returned from the UK having worked for Brabham. Garrie Cooper was also an integral part of the design team.

Powered by a Bartz modified 5.0 Litre Chevrolet V8 engine. Bartz engines had been used in the late 60's by Mclaren in the U.S. and featured a steel crank, dry sump, alloy heads, roller rockers, Lucas mechanical fuel injection and mated to a Hewland DG300 5 speed transaxle gearbox.

Considerable racing history is attached to this car, including competing at Spa, Elkhart Lake, Nurburgring, Daytona, Oschersleben, Melbourne GP circuit, Phillip Island, Dijon, Zolder, Hockenheimring, Monza and Zandvoort.
Old 26 Feb 2022, 08:09 (Ref:4100326)   #5653
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Enough, already, EB, despoiling the Parade with those excrescence, hideously ugly lumps;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6331.JPG   IMG_6364.JPG   IMG_6367.JPG  

IMG_6391.JPG   IMG_6438.JPG   IMG_6441.JPG  

Old 26 Feb 2022, 08:11 (Ref:4100327)   #5654
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am still shaking;
Attached Thumbnails
1 ODD (5).jpg   1 ODD (6).jpg   1 ODD (9).jpg  

1 ODD (7).jpg   1 ODD (10).JPG   1 ODD (8).jpg  

Old 26 Feb 2022, 08:13 (Ref:4100328)   #5655
bauble
Veteran

England
OK! I'm feeling better now;
Attached Thumbnails
!FSC (13).JPG   _MG_0479.jpg   1 BO (7).JPG  

1 BO (8).JPG   1 ODD (1).JPG   1 ODD (2).JPG  

Old 26 Feb 2022, 09:31 (Ref:4100331)   #5656
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
For anyone that is interested a bit of the history on the Elfin ME5 (the black one)

1969 ELFIN ME5 SPORTS RACING CAR - ONE OFF - GROUP A
A couple of gorgeous looking early seventies sports racing cars they must have enlivened sports car racing in Australia at that time. When you say the Elfin raced at Spa, Nurburgring etc I take it that was as a historic car when Harm Lagaay owned it rather than in contemporary Interseries races ?
Old 26 Feb 2022, 10:27 (Ref:4100345)   #5657
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
A couple of gorgeous looking early seventies sports racing cars they must have enlivened sports car racing in Australia at that time. When you say the Elfin raced at Spa, Nurburgring etc I take it that was as a historic car when Harm Lagaay owned it rather than in contemporary Interseries races ?
Yes it would be..... I actually went and checked its history after I posted and realised that neither Niel (correct spelling) Allen or Johnny Walker raced it much overseas if at all in period. The blurb I quoted was from its for sale ad a couple of years ago after it had returned to Aus after Lagaay's ownership in Europe. Lagaay was indeed the one who used it in more modern times at those venues mentionedActually Lagaay's restoration when he owned the car has come in for some criticism here for much being non period.

Aside from that this article in Motorsport might interest.
The Whizzer from Oz
Old 26 Feb 2022, 10:31 (Ref:4100346)   #5658
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the info. Interesting little car the Effin, good it managed to drive quite a bit around the world. Anyone who gets hold of one has got some good history
Old 26 Feb 2022, 13:41 (Ref:4100386)   #5659
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Yes it would be..... I actually went and checked its history after I posted and realised that neither Niel (correct spelling) Allen or Johnny Walker raced it much overseas if at all in period. The blurb I quoted was from its for sale ad a couple of years ago after it had returned to Aus after Lagaay's ownership in Europe. Lagaay was indeed the one who used it in more modern times at those venues mentionedActually Lagaay's restoration when he owned the car has come in for some criticism here for much being non period.

Aside from that this article in Motorsport might interest.
The Whizzer from Oz
Funnily enough I wasn't sure if the Elfin was the car owned by Harm Lagaay and when I checked online that article came up. Apart from being very small, the Elfin apparently suffered from overheating. Presumably the Australian sports car races weren't endurance events and this maybe wasn't an issue although it was mentioned in the Motor Sport article that Harm Lagaay thought that he had a cure for the overheating. Would this have been the part of the renovation that Australian enthusiasts weren't happy about ?
Old 26 Feb 2022, 14:00 (Ref:4100392)   #5660
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Lagaay obviously did a lot with that car, that article tells a lot. Although, as you say, doesn't say how they solved the overheating, whether it was the races format in Oz suited it better or if they actually fixed it? Any ideas anyone?
Old 27 Feb 2022, 14:29 (Ref:4100513)   #5661
bauble
Veteran

England
Another clear out needed;
Attached Thumbnails
1 BO (9).JPG   1 ODD (3).JPG   1 ODD (4).jpg  

IMG_4680.JPG   IMG_5990.JPG   IMG_7508.JPG  

Old 5 Mar 2022, 17:55 (Ref:4101325)   #5662
bauble
Veteran

England
Seems like everyone is somewhat distracted by events recently, judging by the lack of activity on the site for the last week or so;
Attached Thumbnails
01 fis (1).jpg   01 fis (2).JPG   01 fis (3).JPG  

01 fis (4).JPG   01 fis (5).JPG   01 fis (8).JPG  

Old 5 Mar 2022, 18:03 (Ref:4101326)   #5663
bauble
Veteran

England
Let's try and summon up some conversation;
Attached Thumbnails
01 Vin (7).JPG   01 Vin (1).JPG   01 Vin (2).JPG  

01 Vin (3).JPG   01 Vin (4).JPG   01 Vin (5).JPG  

Old 5 Mar 2022, 18:08 (Ref:4101327)   #5664
bauble
Veteran

England
Goodnight! Morning Chris!
Attached Thumbnails
01F (3).JPG   01F (2).jpg   01F (4).JPG  

01F (5).JPG   01F (6).JPG   01F (1).jpg  

Old 6 Mar 2022, 08:39 (Ref:4101363)   #5665
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Seems like everyone is somewhat distracted by events recently, judging by the lack of activity on the site for the last week or so;
I've been distracted by being away on holiday. I could post some of my holiday
snaps if you like, but they hardly fall into the category of Historic Racing Today...
Old 6 Mar 2022, 09:37 (Ref:4101368)   #5666
bauble
Veteran

England
Thanks for sending me this picture Viv, i hope you don't mind me posting it here,
Attached Thumbnails
TWP_ECH_290414PORTHCAWL_07.jpg  
Old 6 Mar 2022, 10:45 (Ref:4101372)   #5667
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Let's try and summon up some conversation;
*Speechless*

Very nice Bob. I hope you didnt stay up too late to post them lubberly car pics..
Old 6 Mar 2022, 13:00 (Ref:4101378)   #5668
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for sending me this picture Viv, i hope you don't mind me posting it here,

Wow. What's the chances of Baub and Viv, with his spade, being on the beach at the same time?
Old 6 Mar 2022, 14:40 (Ref:4101386)   #5669
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Wow. What's the chances of Baub and Viv, with his spade, being on the beach at the same time?
I think you'll find that I'm the one just out of shot, swimming out to sea to get away from the old bloke with the pipe!
Old 6 Mar 2022, 17:50 (Ref:4101404)   #5670
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think you'll find that I'm the one just out of shot, swimming out to sea to get away from the old bloke with the pipe!

Viv, I believe Bob will be looking for you at playtime!
Old 6 Mar 2022, 19:08 (Ref:4101414)   #5671
bauble
Veteran

England
Back to realty;
Attached Thumbnails
01 Club (1).JPG   01 Club (2).JPG   01 Club (3).JPG  

01 Club (4).JPG   01 Club (5).JPG   01 Club (6).JPG  

Old 6 Mar 2022, 19:10 (Ref:4101415)   #5672
bauble
Veteran

England
Well sort of;
Attached Thumbnails
01 fis (6).JPG   01 fis (7).JPG   01 fis (8).JPG  

01 fis (9).JPG   01 fis (10).JPG   01 fis (11).JPG  

Old 6 Mar 2022, 19:13 (Ref:4101416)   #5673
bauble
Veteran

England
But not quite;
Attached Thumbnails
01 Vin (6).JPG   01od (1).JPG   01od (2).jpg  

01od (3).jpg   01od (4).jpg   01od (5).jpg  

Old 6 Mar 2022, 19:27 (Ref:4101418)   #5674
bauble
Veteran

England
Viv. thanks a bundle for sharing your holiday snaps, I agree, you do look good in shorts, and your grasp of 'selfies' is most impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
12fe5f6ca47ac53.jpg   032937zo656kviokhvzaza.jpg   b3bc64685784dbf1.jpg  

e86b6ff05d20c34.jpg   manofthebeach-3.jpg   OIP.jpg  

Old 6 Mar 2022, 19:37 (Ref:4101420)   #5675
bauble
Veteran

England
Look! I can't leave you with those images to haunt you all night, so;
Attached Thumbnails
040.JPG   065.JPG   069.JPG  

072.JPG   074.JPG   083.JPG