Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Feb 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3957970)   #101
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I was going to add some electrical punditry in here but decided against it because of my timing. I'm sure you'd have only asked me "Wire you Insulate?"
Old 17 Feb 2020, 10:14 (Ref:3957971)   #102
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where will the electricity to charge these electric cars come from?
One estimate says that France would need something like 5 new power stations (pref. nuclear to meet the emission requirements!) if all their existing cars were swapped for electric ones, and the UK is a similar size.
Given the difficulty in building the 2 power stations that are already planned it seems rather unlikely that enough could be ready by anything like 2035?

Perhaps electricity rationing will be something to add to the range anxiety, battery life & recycling issues of battery cars?
Old 17 Feb 2020, 10:35 (Ref:3957978)   #103
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
One estimate says that France would need something like 5 new power stations (pref. nuclear to meet the emission requirements!) if all their existing cars were swapped for electric ones
Thats what we've been told for a long while. Probably true. But more strange could be the answer to the question "Where the most do we need EV's?" In big towns I guess. If you know what it takes to have the permission to install only one plug in a building and add that we mainly live in flats in those areas, what could be an acceptable solution in major towns, like Paris or Lyon?
Old 17 Feb 2020, 11:47 (Ref:3957987)   #104
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Thats what we've been told for a long while. Probably true. But more strange could be the answer to the question "Where the most do we need EV's?" In big towns I guess. If you know what it takes to have the permission to install only one plug in a building and add that we mainly live in flats in those areas, what could be an acceptable solution in major towns, like Paris or Lyon?
No need to worry about old cities Gerard - all of the housing and offices will not be compatible with future passivhaus eco standards and the easiest (and only) cost effective solution will be to replace all of it. At that point the local authorities can decide whether vehicles of any sort can be allowed (think of the pollution from tyre and brake dust"!) and if they are they might allow a plug or two to be installed.

The UK has, perhaps, less of a problem. Once gas heating and cooking has been banned many of the older properties will have unused pipes directly in to the home and so adding electricity cables to extend capacity could be achieved without excessive groundworks costs or unsightly overhead cables.

The building, of course, will be just as challenged in terms of eco friendliness but since more recently built properties will probably start failing before the older stuff and the older stuff was in any case much more closely packed in thus providing some element of energy saving anyway, it should be an easy decision to simply extend its life expectancy and push a few cables up it gas supply pipes.

Space for vehicle charging will not be any more of a problem in old terraced streets than in modern estates. Most likely less of a problem in fact but it won't matter anyway as the next generation will not want their own vehicles preferring to rent something autonomous when required. And avoid all of the expense of learning to drive, etc. They probably won't be able to afford personal transport anyway after they have picked up the bill for extending the electric infrastructure and writing off the existing long term investment in traditional energy source fuels and the infrastructure that supports them at present.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 12:28 (Ref:3957994)   #105
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gordon Cave.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	57419 All this talking about the future power problems and EVs has me worried, so I'm retiring into my eco "house" forever
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Feb 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3958001)   #106
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Attachment 57419 All this talking about the future power problems and EVs has me worried, so I'm retiring into my eco "house" forever
Well , don,t get " stoned to often " .

Cue for all of the rest of the going back to the stone age jokes .
Old 17 Feb 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3958004)   #107
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
One estimate says that France would need something like 5 new power stations (pref. nuclear to meet the emission requirements!) if all their existing cars were swapped for electric ones, and the UK is a similar size.
I don't think all of the cars that people were driving in 1980 have been swapped to newer ones yet?
Old 17 Feb 2020, 13:42 (Ref:3958011)   #108
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Where will the electricity to charge these electric cars come from?
Well the simple answer is that all the existing cars won’t be replaced by EVs in 2035, or indeed many by years after! It’s a gradual transition that will be achieved over a long period of time.

All ‘2035’ or whenever tells us is the date when a NEW diesel or petrol vehicle cannot be purchased.....
Old 17 Feb 2020, 17:16 (Ref:3958033)   #109
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
All ‘2035’ or whenever tells us is the date when a NEW diesel or petrol vehicle cannot be purchased.....
I that serious? Any vehicle? Whatever the number of wheels? Cant believe it.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 19:37 (Ref:3958055)   #110
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I was generalising, Gerard. I don’t think it stretches to trucks, PSVs and the like. Cars and light vans.....
Old 17 Feb 2020, 22:54 (Ref:3958091)   #111
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just for you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Feb 2020, 23:02 (Ref:3958093)   #112
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I could.

Combine the calibre of modern politicians and the Madness of Crowds and anything is possible.

(Well except, possibly, the results of Madame Guillotine but there are probably a few medics out there who would question that assertion.)
Old 18 Feb 2020, 06:08 (Ref:3958158)   #113
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Just for you. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200217/6663851cff8295966c83e85d9f7843f2.jpg[/IMG
Max, we had an amusing experience on the subject of charging an EV during heavy rain- Few seasons ago at Dijon when GTSCC last raced there, Simon arrived in Model S and plugged his ‘Juice Booster’ into a paddock supply to charge. (JB- a clever h/d lead with waterproof connectors and smart control unit half way along.) It then started to **** down (Dijon!) and the cables, connectors and box were of course on the tarmac, getting very wet. One of the circuit officials saw this and went into a blind panic, no doubt with visions of short circuits, complete failure, armageddin, and tore the plug out of the circuit supply. There then followed a confrontation in the pouring rain between him and the car owner with lots of animated gesticulations! Eventually he stomped off and the car was duly plugged back in to the supply.....
Old 18 Feb 2020, 06:25 (Ref:3958160)   #114
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I could. Combine the calibre of modern politicians and the Madness of Crowds and anything is possible.
Really I hope one day or another people will realize that we have to send those politicians to hell. I imagine that in 1788 french King Louis used to say "its fiiiiiine…" So far!
Old 18 Feb 2020, 09:43 (Ref:3958175)   #115
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And the problems caused by digging roads/pavements up to install small phone/internet cables will be nothing compared to installing high voltage electric cables!
Cables running from apartments/houses would make it rather difficult to walk down the pavement!!
Wireless charging pads in the road would probably work but who will pay for them and how long would they take to install!!

My brother is just looking at new cars and tells me that CNG is the most environmental solution (according to a German study, where electric/hybrid cars did not come out well), they also have a small petrol tank which in itself has a similar range to small electric cars.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 09:51 (Ref:3958177)   #116
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Well the simple answer is that all the existing cars won’t be replaced by EVs in 2035, or indeed many by years after! It’s a gradual transition that will be achieved over a long period of time.

If they do stop selling new petrol/diesel cars in 2035 most of them will have been replaced in under 10 years, so it wouldn't be much later than 2040 that the majority are alternatively fuelled.

Even if it was 2045 that is extremely quick for major UK infrastructure projects - they will probably have decided what to do with the newts, nimbys etc. by then let alone got on with building anything.

Presumably people would keep such cars much longer than they do currently, especially when all the obvious problems behind a mass switch to milk float style cars emerge, but many modern cars don't seem to be designed to have a long life.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 10:00 (Ref:3958179)   #117
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
My brother is just looking at new cars and tells me that CNG is the most environmental solution (according to a German study, where electric/hybrid cars did not come out well), they also have a small petrol tank which in itself has a similar range to small electric cars.
Here we go again- another ‘study’...... So why not more marketed in recent times then? Although VAG group, Fiat and Opel do have factory order CNG models, Germany has recently overtaken Norway to top Euro EV sales, and that’s before all the 2020 models come to market.....

I’m often reminded of a ‘study’ many years ago that concluded ‘sugar was good for you’, then noted that the research was paid for by the then British Sugar Corporation........
Old 18 Feb 2020, 10:18 (Ref:3958186)   #118
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This EV chat is actually an interesting discussion. Speaking as a pragmatist I tend to agree with all the perceived barriers to a complete roll out. But, equally as that same pragmatist I also see little alternative. Fuel cell technology will no doubt move very quickly as will alternative batteries.

There is, as someone mentioned, the current thinking that vehicle ownership will be a thing of the past in towns and cities. This is where autonomous vehicles will be available to rent or hire as per the Uber model.

In the country it will be different because the volume of traffic will necessarily be higher due to the need for longer individual journeys. All of which would, in theory, reduce the need for charging station countrywide since the autonomous vehicles would return to base to recharge.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3958200)   #119
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BTCC hybrid power set to hit track this summer
Project running to schedule ahead of 2022 race introduction.

Not historic but relevant?
Old 18 Feb 2020, 12:17 (Ref:3958202)   #120
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well yes but then again this entire discussion is not historic. I may send these posts to Parc Ferme.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 12:18 (Ref:3958203)   #121
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Here we go again- another ‘study’...... So why not more marketed in recent times then? Although VAG group, Fiat and Opel do have factory order CNG models, Germany has recently overtaken Norway to top Euro EV sales, and that’s before all the 2020 models come to market.....

I’m often reminded of a ‘study’ many years ago that concluded ‘sugar was good for you’, then noted that the research was paid for by the then British Sugar Corporation........

I used to get papers from the UK Institute of Electrical Engineers .
I believe they had to produce so many peer reviewed papers per year to get their government grants .
It actually became embarrassing the rubbish they were printing , mostly for political correctness I believe .
So much of " in the future we will be able to !!!!!!! " . And a lot of it was needing a new magic thing & ignoring the laws of physics .

But that type of propaganda is now rife over most of the mainstream media .
Greenpeace put up adverts claiming that the cost of renewable energy was coming down . The advertising standards agency made them take the adverts down as it is a total lie . But it served a purpose , as the media often quote that , and some of the public believe it .
Old 18 Feb 2020, 12:32 (Ref:3958207)   #122
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Construction costs are coming down, just talk to the contractors. The unit price for production has fallen due to that but this doesn't get passed on to the consumer since the tariffs are set by the "cap".

Again though, this only applies when the turbines or whatever are working.

Edit: The cost per Kwh Is probably higher than a fossil fuel power station but since they don't run for 24hrs 365 days per year the actual production cost can be amortized over the year showing a lesser sum. Notwithstanding that the systems aren't actually generating anything.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 18 Feb 2020 at 12:42. Reason: Corrected my theory
Old 18 Feb 2020, 12:55 (Ref:3958212)   #123
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
I used to get papers from the UK Institute of Electrical Engineers .
A qualified discrediting of the IEEE - or just a disagreement between IMechE and IEEE?

Why should one Institute be more reliable than another? Is this a case of Mechanical Engineers and Electrical Engineers being in disagreement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
I know it is a long time since I qualified to be an AMIMechE , & I have forgotten more than I can remember , but I still do know the difference between power & energy .
Old 18 Feb 2020, 12:59 (Ref:3958213)   #124
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This EV chat is actually an interesting discussion. Speaking as a pragmatist I tend to agree with all the perceived barriers to a complete roll out. But, equally as that same pragmatist I also see little alternative. Fuel cell technology will no doubt move very quickly as will alternative batteries.

There is, as someone mentioned, the current thinking that vehicle ownership will be a thing of the past in towns and cities. This is where autonomous vehicles will be available to rent or hire as per the Uber model.

In the country it will be different because the volume of traffic will necessarily be higher due to the need for longer individual journeys. All of which would, in theory, reduce the need for charging station countrywide since the autonomous vehicles would return to base to recharge.
By the time the motoring world for towns and cities changes, here in the England there will only be urban areas for most of the (habitable) country.

And most goods will delivered.

No need to travel to the bank for any reason - there are few left even now.

Medical requirements? Call an air ambulance.

The price of ICE fuels will be influenced by volumes. Likely becoming low volumes very quickly as the traditional liquid energy purveyors go rapidly "green" to exploit the opportunities that politicians will present to them.

Expect fuel prices to head to the levels found in the remote north of Scotland and then trend upwards from there as the benefits of economy of scale disappear.

The rarity of fuel stations combined with the convenience of re-fuelling at home for local runs will likely make electric rather attractive at remote locations PROVIDING they are mains connected.

If they have oil fired heating there may be some opportunity offered to make use of the same oil storage options for both heating and powering vehicles in rural locations without tax penalties. (Road use taxes would be applied instead.)

Once the majority of existing petrol stations have been converted to charging stations ICE powered travel will almost certainly tend to become less attractive as a comparison so no one will object loudly to political diktats that quickly erode its viability.

All of this will happen irrespective of any true and proven logic for rapid change and the likely costs incurred.

Obviously the materials (Steel and concrete, cable, etc.) for the infrastructure will all need to be imported as will the labour and plant equipment required to undertake the work.

So, situation pretty much as now - just a lot more of it.

Maybe the Govt. could ask Bezos for a gift form his $10Billion pot?

Or perhaps it would be easier if Amazon, et al, simply paid a bit more tax?
Old 18 Feb 2020, 13:12 (Ref:3958216)   #125
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Construction costs are coming down, just talk to the contractors. The unit price for production has fallen due to that but this doesn't get passed on to the consumer since the tariffs are set by the "cap".

Again though, this only applies when the turbines or whatever are working.

Edit: The cost per Kwh Is probably higher than a fossil fuel power station but since they don't run for 24hrs 365 days per year the actual production cost can be amortized over the year showing a lesser sum. Notwithstanding that the systems aren't actually generating anything.
I know what you are saying peter , the construction cost might come down .
https://www.thegwpf.org/forget-the-s...e-not-falling/
But the grid price of electricity varies between £40 to £50 Per MWh .
A CCGT [ gas ] power station produces power at £30 to £40 per MWh ,
The very cheapest offshore wind station actually producing power is £136 , & a lot of them are over £180 . And then they also get " Constraint " payments putting the cost up even more .
Data from a couple of years ago that shows , over the lifetime of a gas power station . renewables cost 16 to 17 times more for power .
https://edmhdotme.wordpress.com/uk-w...-factors-2017/
Closed Thread