Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Apr 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3970313)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stirling Moss

No doubt there will be a tribute thread elsewhere for Stirling, however, as he is very much a man of the historic era I think it appropriate to honour the man here as well.

Stirling Moss was without a shadow of doubt one of the three finest drivers the sport has ever seen, as well as being one of it's greatest survivors.When people ask about any ace's greatest race, they usually point to a specific event, with Stirling is it hard to chose which of his many outstanding races to name.

Rest in Peace Sir.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 09:29 (Ref:3970539)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is sad in some ways that Moss lived so long, as the modern generation of fans can have no idea just how great a driver he was, everything today is measured by Formula 1. The man who never won the World Championship is not much an obituary.
Living through Stirling's career I see so much more than his 'Greatest Drive' winning at Monaco in '61.
Almost every week he would produce some outstanding drive in any category he took part in. Supreme in 500cc F3, magnificent in an underpowered HMW, picking up awards in rallies, beating far faster cars in any formula, equally at home in single seaters; sports cars, saloons, even lawn mowers!

If you asked Moss who was the greatest driver, as I did on one occasion, he always named Fangio, which why undoubtedly true, that was only in Grands Prix racing, Juan Manuel while versatile never had the same success as Stirling in any other category,

It is impossible for anyone to match Sir Stirling's achievements today, as the modern driver is too compartmentalized, F1 stars rarely race elsewhere, and few 'star' drivers appear in more than one or two classes of racing.

No doubt many will put forward 'names' who are versatile/successful, but for me at least, people like Stirling Moss are very rare in any sport.

Quite frankly he should never appear in any persons 'Top Ten All Time Greats' he is far above such exercises.

Despite his fame Moss was always modest about his own abilities, and remained well grounded through out his career. Unlike so many of todays 'stars'.

Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, hard tough sports car races, he won both. Would any top driver today consider driving 1000 miles in an open top sports car capable of 180 mph over semi closed roads in car without roll cage or Hans device, wearing cotton overalls and a basic crash hat?

Count yourself lucky to have lived at the same time as Sir Stirling Moss.

TOU WILL NEVER SEE HIS LIKE AGAIN.

Bauble.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 18:57 (Ref:3970826)   #3
scott fisher
Rookie

scott fisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear hear , unique,I have benn fortunate to have a few chats with some outstanding drivers but Stirling was always so entertaining especially about crumpet !
RIP legend
Old 16 Apr 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3971095)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't disagree with anything Bob says there; absolutely spot on.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 16 Apr 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3971151)   #5
bauble
Veteran

England
It is hard to appreciate just how good Stirling was unless you lived through the same times, but for me one of the stand out wins and one few people know about was the 1954 Sebring 12 Hour Race, Moss had signed for Jaguar for the season where Jaguar were challenging for the World Sports Car Championship, of which Sebring was a round, however, Jag had not entered a team, and Moss wanted to drive. He was given permission to take part but only on the condition that it must be in one of the small capacity classes, as they did not want Stirling driving anything that might win and help some other manufacturer to take points toward the Championship ie Ferrrari, Aston, Maserati, etc.
Moss secured drive with Briggs Cunningham, sharing a 1.5 litre OSCA with American Bill Lloyd. Naturally such was Moss's ability that they won the race outright. Typical of the man. When I mentioned to Stirling that I thought that was one of his best drives, he said he was surprised anyone had heard of it.

I'm sure JT could tell us about his 1000km victories at the Nürburgring, more classic Moss.
Old 16 Apr 2020, 20:06 (Ref:3971218)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The 61 German GP was special and that seems to be overlooked.
Old 16 Apr 2020, 20:25 (Ref:3971219)   #7
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The 61 German GP was special and that seems to be overlooked.
Surprising John, especially when you consider the reliability of his Lotus. Two wins on proper drivers circuits, ahead of works Ferraris, and at the Nürburgring Jim Clark in the latest works car. (only fourth)
I'm glad you pointed that out, it was the year I was in hospital for three months and got married six months later.
Old 16 Apr 2020, 20:43 (Ref:3971222)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Jim Clark was exceptional at the Ring and he finished way behind Stirling.
The Ferraris with their 40 bhp advantage were well and truly beaten.
Seem to remember it was first race of Climax V8 that would dominate next four years of GP racing. Jack Brabham , one of the sports most underrated drivers , used it in a Cooper?
Old 16 Apr 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3971223)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Jim Clark was exceptional at the Ring and he finished way behind Stirling.
The Ferraris with their 40 bhp advantage were well and truly beaten.
Seem to remember it was first race of Climax V8 that would dominate next four years of GP racing. Jack Brabham , one of the sports most underrated drivers , used it in a Cooper?
Yes first race for the V8 Climax, the throttle jammed and he crashed on lap 2or 3. The engine overheated at Monza, and then again at Watkins Glen. Not the most auspicious start for such a successful engine.
Old 17 Apr 2020, 06:56 (Ref:3971257)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Yes first race for the V8 Climax, the throttle jammed and he crashed on lap 2or 3. The engine overheated at Monza, and then again at Watkins Glen. Not the most auspicious start for such a successful engine.
Largely down to a rush to the start line as opposed to full development and testing ? things were somewhat different then. One thing I've learned building engines is that certain tunes suit certain drivers, Not that Stirling nor Jim Clark weren't both top notch.

The more you look at his racing career the more astounding achievements you find.

I asked Arthur if he remembers this, thankfully he does, it was his 8th birthday, and he got a result. 2 days before Stirlings 84th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goodwood Sept 2013 148.jpg (1.08 MB, 20 views)
Old 17 Apr 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3971313)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Largely down to a rush to the start line as opposed to full development and testing ? things were somewhat different then. One thing I've learned building engines is that certain tunes suit certain drivers, Not that Stirling nor Jim Clark weren't both top notch.

The more you look at his racing career the more astounding achievements you find.

I asked Arthur if he remembers this, thankfully he does, it was his 8th birthday, and he got a result. 2 days before Stirlings 84th.
That's a great photo.
Old 24 Apr 2020, 20:37 (Ref:3972704)   #12
bauble
Veteran

England
I make it six people have purchased copies of the Moss book I recommended, I am extremely flattered that anyone respects my opinion - on any thing!

I am quite sure that no one will regret it.

Cheers,

Bauble.
Old 17 Apr 2020, 07:05 (Ref:3971258)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We used to meet him most years Whilst staying in the Hotel Splendid before start of Tour Auto
Suzi was his codriver in a MGB
It all used to get a bit out of hand, just like good old days, and I remember Kevin O’ Rouke borrowing a life size cutout of him and getting it back to hotel and there are some very doggy photos kicking around somewhere.It featured two Moss’s and people in various states!
Old 17 Apr 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3971283)   #14
bauble
Veteran

England
If you want to get some idea of how Moss first established his reputation, and get an insight to motor racing in the early 1950's I can recommend;

'Stirling Moss' by Robert Raymond first published in 1953 by Motor Racing Publications.

It is a detailed day-by-day type of account of Stirling's early career, it contains a wealth of anecdotes, race reports, personal information, and is a treasure trove of motor racing history. It runs up to the end of the 1952 season and his 3rd BRDC Gold Star. My copy (1953) is still the best book I have ever read on motor racing and Stirling Moss, indeed one of the best books of any genre I have ever read.

The story of how he turned a Maserati test day from disaster to triumph is alone worth the purchase price (whatever that was in 1953).

Three BRDC Gold Stars at age 23!

Hollywood could not better the S Moss Story.

Despite all that I have written here, I was not even a 'Moss Fan' Mike Hawthorn was my hero, but you can not deny genius.
Old 17 Apr 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3971301)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

And I’m very much a Jim Clark man !
He could drive anything and was saddled sometimes with Chspmsns incompetence as well as his brilliance
RAC rally equated to SM’s Alpine Cups!
Probably Sterling with his Rob Walker and Castrol stuff and Chunkeys indifference to him didn’t help in last three years of his racing career
Old 17 Apr 2020, 10:52 (Ref:3971306)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If you want to get some idea of how Moss first established his reputation, and get an insight to motor racing in the early 1950's I can recommend;

'Stirling Moss' by Robert Raymond first published in 1953 by Motor Racing Publications.

It is a detailed day-by-day type of account of Stirling's early career, it contains a wealth of anecdotes, race reports, personal information, and is a treasure trove of motor racing history. It runs up to the end of the 1952 season and his 3rd BRDC Gold Star. My copy (1953) is still the best book I have ever read on motor racing and Stirling Moss, indeed one of the best books of any genre I have ever read.

The procurement department has just placed an order for a copy, @ £7 I didn't need cap-ex approval from board level. I need a new book, After the Roesch Talbot book I had a car break for a while
Old 17 Apr 2020, 13:24 (Ref:3971340)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
The procurement department has just placed an order for a copy, @ £7 I didn't need cap-ex approval from board level. I need a new book, After the Roesch Talbot book I had a car break for a while
The best seven knicker you'll ever spend.
Old 17 Apr 2020, 17:32 (Ref:3971397)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The best seven knicker you'll ever spend.
On your recommendation, I also bought a copy off the 'bay this morning..... Decent one with a good DJ too....
Old 17 Apr 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3971281)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's worth taking a look in the underused 'Drivers Files' and rather than drafting my own reply to the Nürburgring question, I quote my son's post from way back in 2003 (where have the years gone?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
I would just like to add:
Yes, he did win 3 consecutive 1000kms at the Nurburgring, but he won it 4 times in total:
1956 - Maserati 300S
1958-59 - Aston Martin DBR1/300
1960 - Maserati 'Birdcage'
Personally, I think it's the way he won his races that made him so great. He either disappeared into the distance (eg. Pescara '57 - beat Fangio by about 4 min. I think), won in an uncompetitive car (back to the OSCA, Lotus 18 wins etc.), or came back from nowhere after an early problem ('57 Aintree, '59 Nurburgring, '59 TT......)

Whenever you read comments by the drivers who had to race against him, they all know that he was the best, the benchmark, irrespective of the fact that he never won the F1 title.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 17 Apr 2020, 12:27 (Ref:3971335)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
The previous year Arthur finished 2nd in one of the races, Whizzo came up and asked him for his autograph Have a photo of that somewhere too.
Old 24 Apr 2020, 09:01 (Ref:3972591)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

My copy of 1953 Stirling Moss book arrived today
Thanks it shows what a wide selection of cars he drove
Good guidance by bauble
Best six quid spent in last six weeks
None of these books including the Edwards job touch on his liking of getting getting most Dosh he could in any situation!
Perhaps he should have had that season with Ferrari!
Old 25 Apr 2020, 18:22 (Ref:3972856)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thank you!
Not as good as Blight Bible but in same class!
If only someone would do an Alta book
Old 25 Apr 2020, 19:03 (Ref:3972861)   #23
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Thank you!
Not as good as Blight Bible but in same class!
If only someone would do an Alta book
Why not you? What else have you got to do?

Glad you enjoyed the book.

Bob
Old 28 Apr 2020, 20:41 (Ref:3973450)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
My copy of the Moss book arrived today. In splendid condition with a great dust jacket for a book that is now 67 years old! Looking forward to a read....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7924.JPG (515.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 4 May 2020, 17:15 (Ref:3974458)   #25
Michael S
Rookie

Michael S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC2 is showing Racing Legends Stirling Moss on Saturday 9 May at 7PM