Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Nov 2020, 13:32 (Ref:4017452)   #2951
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
In my case it's a series of early nights right up to Christmas.
Have you seen the instructions that have come out of Australia on how you should deal with Christmas cards & presents on arrival? It's THE most unbelievable crap but I suppose someone got paid to make it all up.

I can't be bothered with all the details but basically it involves a bucket of disinfectant & some marigold gloves...
Old 17 Nov 2020, 22:38 (Ref:4017565)   #2952
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Have you seen the instructions that have come out of Australia on how you should deal with Christmas cards & presents on arrival? It's THE most unbelievable crap but I suppose someone got paid to make it all up.

I can't be bothered with all the details but basically it involves a bucket of disinfectant & some marigold gloves...
Intrigued (and bored!) as I have not seen such instructions locally in Oz I looked online for "how to deal...."
All I found was the UK Sun advising on how to Covid-proof presents. Similarly with gloves and disinfectant..... but with a hot radiator thrown in as well!
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/132220...ly-quarantine/
Old 17 Nov 2020, 22:44 (Ref:4017567)   #2953
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the standard delivery courier way was the official approach.

Chuck it over a wall and let the open air and weather conditions deal with it.

Best if sunny, of course, but rain could deal with any problems if left long enough.

Old 17 Nov 2020, 23:11 (Ref:4017574)   #2954
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just been watching a couple of mid '80s RAC Rally videos.

Wet and slippery stuff and in '85 a lot of snow and ice.

That one ran from 24th to 28th November.

So will we be in a deep freeze by next weekend?

The other thing of note was just how huge the crowds were both at the "Spectator Stages " and out in the forests.

Those were the days.

As I recall they used to claim about 2 million spectators for the RAC over its 4 or 5 days.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 23:37 (Ref:4017575)   #2955
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Those were very different rallies, very extreme temperatures and a lot longer too. Always a good way to round out the rally season. Not sure if it will be that freezing come next weekend, but you never know. I do miss Rally GB this year though, WRC has been devalued by the loss of so many rallies due to this world crisis

But still it’s always fun to look back to when rallying was even more popular amongst ordinary people and there was still that amateur spirit in it
Old 18 Nov 2020, 00:14 (Ref:4017578)   #2956
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Those were very different rallies, very extreme temperatures and a lot longer too. Always a good way to round out the rally season. Not sure if it will be that freezing come next weekend, but you never know. I do miss Rally GB this year though, WRC has been devalued by the loss of so many rallies due to this world crisis

But still it’s always fun to look back to when rallying was even more popular amongst ordinary people and there was still that amateur spirit in it
WRC has been continuously devalued for around 20 years IMO, nothing to do with the virus.
Old 18 Nov 2020, 06:48 (Ref:4017598)   #2957
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

And the “Rally Report” was on every evening on the BBC, entries of something like 180 cars and a club level competitor could get a run.
Old 18 Nov 2020, 07:40 (Ref:4017601)   #2958
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Yes, I have many memories (and out of focus pictures) of 1980's RAC Rallies! We'd be out 2 or 3 days leap-frogging the stages and sleeping in the car. great fun!
Old 18 Nov 2020, 07:51 (Ref:4017603)   #2959
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Intrigued (and bored!) as I have not seen such instructions locally in Oz I looked online for "how to deal...."
All I found was the UK Sun advising on how to Covid-proof presents. Similarly with gloves and disinfectant..... but with a hot radiator thrown in as well!
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/132220...ly-quarantine/
Here you go...

https://www.aol.co.uk/living/2020/11...medics-advise/
Old 18 Nov 2020, 08:40 (Ref:4017609)   #2960
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
WRC has been continuously devalued for around 20 years IMO, nothing to do with the virus.
They're not really rallies as we know them are they? These cars are unbelievable, and their drivers probably some of the best on the planet, but the events are little more than what we used to call a Rallysprint.

Ah well, I suppose we're all getting old and the world has changed etc ..... But the drop in general media interest has been noticeable as the format has "evolved". Could it be linked?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 18 Nov 2020, 09:53 (Ref:4017618)   #2961
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Here you go...
Now our officials recommend not to buy from Amazon to support the local shops which are not allowed to open…*They forget that during the first lockdown they recommended to buy on-line and that the french A subsidiary employs local workers and pay taxes here. Ridiculous and laughable if this virus was not a killer… Le ridicule ne tue pas, ils ont de la chance!
Old 18 Nov 2020, 10:09 (Ref:4017624)   #2962
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Now our officials recommend not to buy from Amazon to support the local shops which are not allowed to open…*They forget that during the first lockdown they recommended to buy on-line and that the french A subsidiary employs local workers and pay taxes here. Ridiculous and laughable if this virus was not a killer… Le ridicule ne tue pas, ils ont de la chance!
I bet Macron won't be getting any chocolates from Brigitte's family shop in Le Touquet this Christmas!
Old 18 Nov 2020, 10:21 (Ref:4017628)   #2963
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On another topic, nice to see the rescue dog Stewart brought back to Delta HQ has been reunited with its owner.
Old 18 Nov 2020, 14:36 (Ref:4017683)   #2964
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks John.
Old 18 Nov 2020, 14:47 (Ref:4017686)   #2965
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
On another topic, nice to see the rescue dog Stewart brought back to Delta HQ has been reunited with its owner.
Yes I did a quick post on FB. Stewart set of to Silverstone to meet up with another race car team to deliver an engine.,On his way back along the very busy A34 at Oxford he just missed the dog running along in the middle of the road.Stewart along with another helper picked him up and took the dog to Oxford police station."BTW there was no collar".He gave them his number and by the time he had got back to Delta HQ the relieved owner was on the phone and promptly came over and collected him.
I was ready to give him an ear bashing about,no collar and what on earth he was doing roaming around the A34. Chap tuned up overjoyed and in tears so all that went out the window. Turns out his dog walker had lost him, sorry "ex dog walker ". Anyway happy days and then he saw the race cars and low and behold he works for Williams Engineering.Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewart and rescued friend.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	65201
Old 18 Nov 2020, 14:49 (Ref:4017687)   #2966
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brilliant story with an excellent ending.
Old 18 Nov 2020, 14:54 (Ref:4017688)   #2967
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Working for Williams you would think he would be used to looking after dogs!
Old 18 Nov 2020, 15:52 (Ref:4017704)   #2968
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Working for Williams you would think he would be used to looking after dogs!
Brutal!
Old 18 Nov 2020, 20:24 (Ref:4017756)   #2969
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

But was the dog chipped?

More to the point, perhaps, was it well behaved?

If not could Stewart's helper have been the now-ex dog walker?

Will we ever find out? You could base a decent script for a TV series in this story.
Old 18 Nov 2020, 22:23 (Ref:4017776)   #2970
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ah G P we will be at Mallory 4 th December . Going to blow some cob webs off Dr Bob Elite .
Old 19 Nov 2020, 06:36 (Ref:4017813)   #2971
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ah G P we will be at Mallory 4 th December . Going to blow some cob webs off Dr Bob Elite .
I am booked in with Javelin to give the Caterham some exercise that day, too. Hope the weather is ok.
Old 19 Nov 2020, 08:44 (Ref:4017825)   #2972
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
I am booked in with Javelin to give the Caterham some exercise that day, too. Hope the weather is ok.
Fantastic another 10ths group photo
Old 19 Nov 2020, 11:53 (Ref:4017847)   #2973
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Added to calendar!

My Weather App currently forecasts to the 3rd Dec. Seems to be suggesting relatively balmy temps for the time of year, though obviously not warm.

Would be good if the forecast carries forward to the 4th and the weather abides by it!
Old 19 Nov 2020, 12:56 (Ref:4017861)   #2974
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Added to calendar!

My Weather App currently forecasts to the 3rd Dec. Seems to be suggesting relatively balmy temps for the time of year, though obviously not warm.

Would be good if the forecast carries forward to the 4th and the weather abides by it!
Hope you are right, and hope good weather continues through to the 6th as supposed to be doing the Dukeries Rally at Donington Park in one of Paul Sheard’s MX5s. Just hope it’s dry really.
Old 19 Nov 2020, 13:31 (Ref:4017868)   #2975
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Hope you are right, and hope good weather continues through to the 6th as supposed to be doing the Dukeries Rally at Donington Park in one of Paul Sheard’s MX5s. Just hope it’s dry really.

I don't think I have ever seen an MX5 rallying.

Not even one prepared for rallying.

What have I missed?
Closed Thread