Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 Sep 2021, 02:13 (Ref:4074297)   #16
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
I'm not sure this is actually correct. In a recent controversy the FIA felt the need to explain more about how the stewarding works. In this explanation it was indicated that the stewards have at their disposal, at a touch of a button, thousands of videos of similar cases and their ruling.

So in that light it most definitely does create a precedent. Otherwise this video resource would not need to be queried.

I'll try to look it up. If I can find it.
I haven't been able to find the article, so apologies for not being able to back it up. Let me then say this, prior judgements do stick in the heads of the drivers as such are a precedent in that way anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Cut down your post for brevity, but I'll explain what I think you are missing in your reading of the verdict.
The description of entry into and through the T1 braking zone is setting up the situation for T2. It is the action(s) during T2 that the penalty was applied to.

The reference to T1 positions is (I think) to explain why 33's defence 'Car 44 opening the steering after Turn 1 and “squeezing” him to the apex of turn 2' does not hold up as sufficient reason for Car 33 to be given room on the inside of T2.

So in effect, it is the car on the inside that has been penalised - but for causing a collision, not for failing to leave room. They refer to Car 44's position (in T2) as being reasonable and that Car 33's manoeuvre was too late (in T1) to jutify racing room in T2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As I wrote on one of the threads yesterday, attitudes of the Stewards will be different depending on whether the overtaking move is on the inside or the outside of a corner or chicane.

More emphasis will be placed on the front driver on an inside move, and conversely, more attention to the overtaking car in an outside move.

I would contend, having raced for about 5 years, that on a normal inside overtaking manoeuvrer, and I am not talking about an outright banzai dive by the following driver, then the lead driver needs to ensure that he gives adequate space to the overtaker or actually concedes the corner, whilst in an outside move, the following driver needs to ensure that the lead car has racing room.

That is why Stewards might give different verdicts on any incident.
I get that it is the case now. What I'm saying is, that not only having the outside guy physically more challenged (centrifugal force not on his side and neither the gravel traps), but also giving preference to the inside guy in ruling, you are really putting the outside guy in a bad spot. To have wheel to wheel racing, which I think most of us do like, you do need an outside guy.

Next year we have aero regulations that allow cars to stay much closer to each other in and around corners. DRS zones will probably be shortened and more overtaking will have to be done in and around those corners with drivers needing to set up their wheel to wheel manoeuvres over multiple corners (like they had to do pre-DRS). I fear the current generation of drivers are not really up to the task to be honest. How often have we not seen the outside guy being pushed or shuffed wide and the fight being ended in just one corner in stead of seeing a wheel to wheel fight endure over multiple corners?

Leclerc-Hamilton Monza 2019?
Verstappen-Leclerc Austra 2019
Hamilton-Albon Brasil 2019
Hamilton-Albon Austria 2020
Verstappen-Hamilton Barcelona 2020
Verstappen-Hamilton Imola 2021 (although bit more complex)
Norris-Perez Austria 2021 T1
Hamilton-Verstappen Silverstone 2021
Norris-Perez Zandvoort 2021
Norris-Perez Austria T4
Verstappen-Hamilton Monza T4
Ocon-Vettel Monza T4

Just a list from the top of my head, many more of course.

I find an overtake done over multiple corners much more satisfying to watch than a DRS one. However you do need two cars to tango and I'm afraid that with the current driving standards and the ruling not convincing them otherwise, we might still see much more of the latter.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.