Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2428801)   #1
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
joss Ronchetti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dry Sump Oil Tank-Does it need covering?

We have a new dry sump setup with the oil tank in the rear behind the drivers seat of the car with the breather vented outside the car.
Does anyone know weather we have to put an additional cover over the oil tank?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2428818)   #2
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im afraid it does. I used to run mine where the passenger seat went and it had to be covered
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2428843)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
That explains why the guys who raced my older IROC car moved the tank into the boot instead of on the original mountings in the cockpit. Is this a recent thing as I am sure I have seen tanks uncovered, did'nt Rob have an uncovered one in his Belmont, all seems a tad OTT to me and if you had a crash with enough force to rupture the tank I am sure a bit of lightweight alloy around it will do sod all.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2428858)   #4
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
That explains why the guys who raced my older IROC car moved the tank into the boot instead of on the original mountings in the cockpit. Is this a recent thing as I am sure I have seen tanks uncovered, did'nt Rob have an uncovered one in his Belmont, all seems a tad OTT to me and if you had a crash with enough force to rupture the tank I am sure a bit of lightweight alloy around it will do sod all.
Maybe its because I drive a single seater, but I don't like the idea of the battery, extinguisher or that ruddy great aluminium tank in the cockpit.

(No reflection on the install job in the pic which is very neat and tidy)
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2428904)   #5
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got told to cover mine.

I just knocked one up out of some fake carbon fibre sheet laminated together using a GRP repair kit from Halfords. Took about a day to do.

I put in a little hatch in the top to allow checking and filling.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2428923)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I had one custom made that fits against the passenger bulkhead with an aluminium outer covering skin. Its very neat and small (6 Lt's) and the filler cap is under the bonnet.
There is still enough room to fit a seat and carry a passenger .
Don't forget the oil is as hot as the water at times !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2428944)   #7
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Don't forget the oil is as hot as the water at times !
A point well made Gordon -

My water temp = 80 degrees C
My oil temp = 110-125 degrees C!!!!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2428962)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom View Post
A point well made Gordon -

My water temp = 80 degrees C
My oil temp = 110-125 degrees C!!!!
Or as you say even hotter.
I note that banger racers have a rad in the cockpit ( or used to ) so it doesn't get smashed , that's not dangerous at all is it !
I blew one of my screamers to death at Snett years ago and the oil left in the dry sump rail was boiling. Yes it was a big blow up as I could see this from under the bonnet !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2428971)   #9
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on what has been said so far, why is it allowed to have either dry sump tanks or indeed rads in the cockpit?

I would have thought that saloon cars have plenty of space (ie the boot or Gordons footwell solution) to keep either away from the driver. Leaving aside the obvious risk of burns from boiling oil/water, the tank and its shroud/cover must surely present a danger to a driver in an accident?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2428989)   #10
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
Based on what has been said so far, why is it allowed to have either dry sump tanks or indeed rads in the cockpit?

I would have thought that saloon cars have plenty of space (ie the boot or Gordons footwell solution) to keep either away from the driver. Leaving aside the obvious risk of burns from boiling oil/water, the tank and its shroud/cover must surely present a danger to a driver in an accident?
Because -

a) I/Jos haven't got a boot (coupe/hatchback shaped thingies).
b) The further away from the engine the less efficient the pump.
c) No room in the engine bay to fit it.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2429002)   #11
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Bassom View Post
Because -

a) I/Jos haven't got a boot (coupe/hatchback shaped thingies).
b) The further away from the engine the less efficient the pump.
c) No room in the engine bay to fit it.
Ok. I take your point re pump efficiency. But surely that huge cover in the pic above could either be smaller or as Gordon suggested, tucked away in the footwell?

I notice while re reading andypipe's post that its a pic of where the tank used to be. Where is it now? I hope I don't come across as too pedantic in my comments, I'm just interested as I have only ever driven single seaters and oil tanks in the cockpit are a new thing to me
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2429014)   #12
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tank is being relocated to the engine bay. The reason it was there is due to the fact that i dont have a rear bulkhead and wanted to offset the fat git drivers weight
Old 30 Mar 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2429061)   #13
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
Ok. I take your point re pump efficiency. But surely that huge cover in the pic above could either be smaller or as Gordon suggested, tucked away in the footwell?
Mine is in the passenger footwell using the bulkhead as one side of the box. Saves a bit of weight and means the run to the pump is less than a metre.

I had to remove most of the dash to get to it. I suspect Jos either doesn't have that luxury or is trying to get some weight to the rear.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2429110)   #14
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
joss Ronchetti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks everybody for your help. They will knock up carbon house for it to live in. We are putting it behind the passenger seat space to get the weight at the rear as we have just lost 20 Kg off the front.
Should be at Thruxton Easter Sunday with the finished article
Old 30 Mar 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2429116)   #15
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Looking forward to it, Neil was way too quick at Oulton (until his CWP blew up)!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2429123)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16345037@N03/2469669739/
I used to run my tank under the bonnet as shown when it was pre-crossflow.
It was in the ideal position for feeding the pump as it sat over the top and gravity fed it ! As for being extra weight on that side, not being a "technical car" it didn't seem to make any difference !
Old 30 Mar 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2429157)   #17
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my cars a hatch back the sump tank is in the engine bay 5lt on the inner wing so there is other options
Old 3 Apr 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2432685)   #18
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine was indeed un-covered until I went to scrutineering!!

I made a composite cover using fireproofing sheet and resin hardener and boxed off the passenger footwell where my tank is "hidden" (like Denis, I'd rather keep it closer to the pump).

The other thing that was once acceptable (when the car was built originally) was brake/clutch fluid reservoirs in the cockpit, but they too have to be covered.