Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Dec 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3946999)   #276
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It's going to be a busy busy event at Sebring with the WEC taking over Friday.

New time for WEC race, 12-8 pm. Sounds like it's to allow more track & corner worker, and a few drivers, rest between races.

Means Friday is now IMSA quali before lunch and the WEC race.

Thursday is IMSA PC race, Michelin Pilot race, WEC quali and IMSA night practice.

Sounds like a lot of racing for your money.
A huge thank you to the organizers, I'm thrilled!
Old 16 Dec 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3947003)   #277
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's going to be a busy busy event at Sebring with the WEC taking over Friday.

New time for WEC race, 12-8 pm. Sounds like it's to allow more track & corner worker, and a few drivers, rest between races.

Means Friday is now IMSA quali before lunch and the WEC race.

Thursday is IMSA PC race, Michelin Pilot race, WEC quali and IMSA night practice.

Sounds like a lot of racing for your money.
And it kills me I can't make it.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 11:54 (Ref:3947133)   #278
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno Spengler will drive a M8 GTE.
http://gt-place.com/2019/12/17/bruno...hselt-in-imsa/
Old 18 Dec 2019, 01:45 (Ref:3947269)   #279
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Couple Camaro GT4s back in Michelin Pilot Challenge (there's too many PC classes) at the expense of a couple AMGs. TGM will switch to Camaros for the Plumb brothers in the one with team owner Ted Giovanis and Owen Trinkler in the #46 car. It seemed like a quick car with the right driver last season.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/t...ds-matt-plumb/
Old 19 Dec 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3947541)   #280
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Racer news round-up this morning:

Magnus has officially joined up with Grasser Racing for 2020 with Potter, Lally and Pumpelly.

Juncos is not going to be at Daytona and the 2020 season is not that likely.
Old 19 Dec 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3947562)   #281
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Racer news round-up this morning:

Magnus has officially joined up with Grasser Racing for 2020 with Potter, Lally and Pumpelly.

Juncos is not going to be at Daytona and the 2020 season is not that likely.
At 8 DPIs and 6 LMP2's for 14 prototypes overall at Daytona this year. 7 GTLMs. Figure about 20 GTD's. I think we'll get a 41 car grid for the Rolex 24. Give or take a 1-3 entries that we don't know about being entered or might expect to show up and don't.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3947721)   #282
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just saw on DSC that the Aston GTD for Heart of Racing has confirmed Riberas and De Angelis as full season drivers. Gotta say I'm surprised Porsche let Roman get away after the success the kid has had the last couple years in the cup class. He is only 18 and has been winning everywhere in a Porsche, can't wait to see how he does in different machinery.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 17:32 (Ref:3947760)   #283
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Wondering if the reveal of the ROAR entry list which is effectively the race entry is coming out soon. Last year it was out on December 21. Its Friday afternoon Dec 20 as I type this.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3947781)   #284
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rick Ware Racing announce their entrance to IMSA

https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=7bfc505f6f
Old 20 Dec 2019, 21:12 (Ref:3947789)   #285
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Complete with GTLM legal number plate.

In all seriousness, a nice, different livery. Hope they feature well during the season.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3947791)   #286
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Wondering if the reveal of the ROAR entry list which is effectively the race entry is coming out soon. Last year it was out on December 21. Its Friday afternoon Dec 20 as I type this.
Without a waiver I believe that should be the list. Believe you have to enter the Roar to run the 24. So we're looking at 40 cars for Daytona.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/4...fore-rolex-24/
Old 21 Dec 2019, 00:57 (Ref:3947812)   #287
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
First spin of the wheel for 2020.

DPi Acura +2.0L to 78L fuel
Cadillac +20 kilos to 950
+.3mm restriction to 32.2 mm
+3.0L to 73
Mazda +5 kilos to 910
+1.0L to 80

LMP2 Riley/Multimatic gets aero tweeks to match others performance
Full class +5.0L to 75

GTLM BMW no change
Corvette 1260kg minimum weight
44.0mm air restrictor
7400rpm redline
2.25deg minimum rear wing angle with a 15.0mm maximum Gurney flap height
0.88 minimum lambda number
89.0L maximum fuel capacity
Ferrari +1.0L to 88L
Boost pressure increase across the rev range
Porsche 1270kg minimum weight
31.5mm air restrictors
9400rpm redline
1.2deg minimum rear wing angle
0.89 minimum lambda number
86.0L maximum fuel capacity

GTD is changed all over for most every car

https://racer.com/2019/12/20/key-gtd...sa-bop-tweaks/
Old 21 Dec 2019, 01:04 (Ref:3947814)   #288
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Mazda TCR got rug pulled out from under it. Shop building the cars, and prepping a large number of MX-5 Cup cars, is closing, Long Road Racing is closing unexpectedly. Mazda looking for new vendor to test and build so TCR Mazda3 isn't racing until 2021 now.

https://racer.com/2019/12/20/mazda3-...ushed-to-2021/
Old 21 Dec 2019, 03:14 (Ref:3947828)   #289
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Mazda TCR got rug pulled out from under it. Shop building the cars, and prepping a large number of MX-5 Cup cars, is closing, Long Road Racing is closing unexpectedly. Mazda looking for new vendor to test and build so TCR Mazda3 isn't racing until 2021 now.

https://racer.com/2019/12/20/mazda3-...ushed-to-2021/
wow, did not expect that. I guess I won't be getting my new TCR under the tree this year
Old 21 Dec 2019, 04:16 (Ref:3947833)   #290
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
wow, did not expect that. I guess I won't be getting my new TCR under the tree this year
You might but some assembly IS required. It's the Ikea Mazda3
Old 21 Dec 2019, 04:23 (Ref:3947837)   #291
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Without a waiver I believe that should be the list. Believe you have to enter the Roar to run the 24. So we're looking at 40 cars for Daytona.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/4...fore-rolex-24/
The SRO GT endurance series has shown that large fields are overrated. Same for IMSA back in 2014. Those races have been cluster f's and I hated that. The worst thing about a 40 car grid is less drivers and crew finding employment. The good is that I think we'll get a good chance of a clean race with little safety car time. Those types of races are always good re-watches in the future too.

The biggest let down to me is no Land/Moneplast Audi. I love it when they come and race. Always a factor to win. What is the deal with them not coming this time. Also too bad we don't a GTD entry from AF Corse or SMP. Granted the GTLM Risi Ferrari is effectively the WEC AF Corse driving squad.
Old 21 Dec 2019, 06:26 (Ref:3947843)   #292
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
For a track as open, not just fast, as Daytona, I think only 40 cars could seem a bit thin. Certainly, circuits such as Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen, and Road America should be able to handle 50-car grids without undue issues. Daytona could hold 60, while I think 55 ought to be quite manageable at Road America. Road Atlanta would be the one enduro where I think a number like 40 is actually more desirable. If VIR hosted the Protos, too, again, I think a 45-car field would be reasonable.

If these figures are untenable, not because of economics or the wider environment of available racing series, but as a result of the perceived specter of decidedly more safety car periods, I'm inclined to put that into the category of "need to address driving standards".

(I don't think any of us should be interested in caving to less-than-professional conduct out on the course. Yes, mistakes happen, but there's a point beyond which expectations can't be allowed to slip.)
Old 21 Dec 2019, 07:03 (Ref:3947845)   #293
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
IMSA is right now pretty much where the ALMS was in around 2007/2008: great quality and just about okay-ish in entry figures.

The problem with the latter - if it is one - is that with GT3 as the lowest class (much like with what GT2 had become by the end of the noughties), the bar for an entry has been raised to a really high level, where you really can't run a low budget effort anymore like you could in the days of Porsche Cup cars and tubeframers, which was what had made up the slowest class at Daytona since the 1980s and all the way into the last years of Rolex GT.

To me that seems by design rather than by default, though, as shoestring efforts with four moderately wealthy buddies running a car from the back of an open trailer really don't add much to the series except their entry fees - and in contrast to SRO and Creventic, IMSA is not dependent on those for most of their budget.

What will be interesting is what they'll do once the next economic downturn comes around and grids inevitably start to shrink further: Bring back Porsche-only GTC? Allow GT4 or LMP3 in the main series?
Old 21 Dec 2019, 07:58 (Ref:3947847)   #294
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The biggest let down to me is no Land/Montaplast Audi. I love it when they come and race. Always a factor to win. What is the deal with them not coming this time.
Didn't they only enter the Endurance Cup?

To be honest, they haven't had the best time in IMSA: their post-race technical infringements outnumber their podiums over the past two seasons. Granted, they only have themselves to blame, but it's going to leave a sour taste, especially when they are crossing a continent to race.

I'm sad to see them bow out for the same reason, but it's probably for the best, if they have to downscale then obviously domestic/European efforts would be the priority for a German team. Hopefully they return soon, having read the IMSA rulebook properly this time!

Quote:
The SRO GT endurance series has shown that large fields are overrated. Same for IMSA back in 2014. Those races have been cluster f's and I hated that.
Without dragging this too far off-track, it's not large fields that are overrated - it's SRO's utterly ludicrous officiating of said large fields that is the problem.
Old 21 Dec 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3947850)   #295
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bit of an aside, but can anyone point me towards a proper timetable for the Rolex 24hrs? All I’ve found so far is a schedule of the days that the event runs!

Thanks in advance.
Old 21 Dec 2019, 08:13 (Ref:3947852)   #296
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Bit of an aside, but can anyone point me towards a proper timetable for the Rolex 24hrs? All I’ve found so far is a schedule of the days that the event runs!

Thanks in advance.
It's here, just scroll down to the schedule - handily, the background goes from white to black at that very point.

All times in EST, so add five hours for GMT, assuming you want UK time.
Old 21 Dec 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3947855)   #297
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
It's here, just scroll down to the schedule - handily, the background goes from white to black at that very point.

All times in EST, so add five hours for GMT, assuming you want UK time.
Great, much appreciated! You never know, I may be more interested in local time.....
Old 21 Dec 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3947893)   #298
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The SRO GT endurance series has shown that large fields are overrated. Same for IMSA back in 2014. Those races have been cluster f's and I hated that. The worst thing about a 40 car grid is less drivers and crew finding employment. The good is that I think we'll get a good chance of a clean race with little safety car time. Those types of races are always good re-watches in the future too.

The biggest let down to me is no Land/Moneplast Audi. I love it when they come and race. Always a factor to win. What is the deal with them not coming this time. Also too bad we don't a GTD entry from AF Corse or SMP. Granted the GTLM Risi Ferrari is effectively the WEC AF Corse driving squad.
I'm not sure I agree. It isn't big fields that are a problem, it's the amateur classes making big mistakes causing the cautions. Like the PC class causing yellows all the time. And in the 40 car grid is an increase in grid size of.... the pro am P2 class. From 2 to 6 means more cautions than last year I'd bet. Only what, 14 total pro cars on the grid, maybe 15? The rest are rolling potential landmines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
IMSA is right now pretty much where the ALMS was in around 2007/2008: great quality and just about okay-ish in entry figures.

The problem with the latter - if it is one - is that with GT3 as the lowest class (much like with what GT2 had become by the end of the noughties), the bar for an entry has been raised to a really high level, where you really can't run a low budget effort anymore like you could in the days of Porsche Cup cars and tubeframers, which was what had made up the slowest class at Daytona since the 1980s and all the way into the last years of Rolex GT.

To me that seems by design rather than by default, though, as shoestring efforts with four moderately wealthy buddies running a car from the back of an open trailer really don't add much to the series except their entry fees - and in contrast to SRO and Creventic, IMSA is not dependent on those for most of their budget.

What will be interesting is what they'll do once the next economic downturn comes around and grids inevitably start to shrink further: Bring back Porsche-only GTC? Allow GT4 or LMP3 in the main series?
It looks a little disappointing. Like the series is once again teetering on the decisions of one or two teams or manufacturers.. what happens if Acura or mazda decide to pull out? Or BMW? Could be doom and gloom then.

And I could see lmp3 being added at some point. I'd rather see the next highest class after gtd that currently runs in the Michelin sport support series (whatever its called) that runs 2 hour races currently on imsa weekends be added, so we got some of those buddies running cars out of trailer on the back of the grid. Maybe them and lmp3 both, I guess. I assume we're headed that way eventually when current gtlm goes the way of the old gt1. But it is too high-end to get on the grid for a series that needs to keep grid size above what it currently is, it seems.
Old 21 Dec 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3947903)   #299
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Thanks in advance.
Mike, bookmark this page - https://competitors.imsa.com/ Once the Roar concludes on the 5th, keep a sharp eye out for an update to the page when IMSA posts their "Provisional/Official Schedule" that contains, quite literally, everything that happens at the speedway over the week-end....from T&S wiring setups, to Transporter Load in, and everything in between.

If you are so inclined, follow this link - https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...oar_121819.pdf to view the ROAR schedule.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 03:55 (Ref:3947966)   #300
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I'm not sure I agree. It isn't big fields that are a problem, it's the amateur classes making big mistakes causing the cautions. Like the PC class causing yellows all the time. And in the 40 car grid is an increase in grid size of.... the pro am P2 class. From 2 to 6 means more cautions than last year I'd bet. Only what, 14 total pro cars on the grid, maybe 15? The rest are rolling potential landmines.

It looks a little disappointing. Like the series is once again teetering on the decisions of one or two teams or manufacturers.. what happens if Acura or mazda decide to pull out? Or BMW? Could be doom and gloom then.

And I could see lmp3 being added at some point. I'd rather see the next highest class after gtd that currently runs in the Michelin sport support series (whatever its called) that runs 2 hour races currently on imsa weekends be added, so we got some of those buddies running cars out of trailer on the back of the grid. Maybe them and lmp3 both, I guess. I assume we're headed that way eventually when current gtlm goes the way of the old gt1. But it is too high-end to get on the grid for a series that needs to keep grid size above what it currently is, it seems.
The Michelin guys are running GT4 cars in GS and TCR cars in TC. From things I've seen claimed by teams, the GT4 cars just can't run well with the GT3(D) and the rest of the field. We've all seen GT3 and GT4 run together but I'm guessing GTLM and DPi would not be ok with that mix. But there really aren't those guys on a trailer running in Michelin Pilot Challenge. They may be smaller but it's proper race teams.

From articles I've seen it's the cost of racing going up across the board unless you want all spec sameness like TransAm TA2. There's nothing wrong with that and it's a great show. But it's definitely NOT what most people think of when thinking about sportscar racing.