Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 8 Jun 2003, 22:28 (Ref:625072)   #1
maxpower
Rookie

maxpower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oil

hi guys I am new to this karting stuff and what i would like to know is what you guy's use for 2 stroke oil,IE, type, quantity, synthetic, semi synthetic this all confusing to me. I run a Yamaha YZ 250 on short circuit i need to more on the reliable side rather than speed. Any help and advice appreiciated.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 07:05 (Ref:625311)   #2
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I run castrol A747 (castor based) at 33-1 in my TZ250 the only other oil I would consider is Elf HTX (synthetic) at the same ratio,all the top superkarts here use one or the other,oil is cheaper than engines!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:50 (Ref:634070)   #3
KartingFun
Rookie

KartingFun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to run Silkolene Pro 2 in my 250 KTM but cant remember the quantity. Now I run the same oil in my TM 125. 200ml of oil per 5 litres of fuel. Think thats 25:1 - never any problems. Silokolene Pro 2 is fully synthetic.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 04:03 (Ref:647962)   #4
the_extreme
Rookie

the_extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go with the Castrol - I'd also steer clear of Bel-Ray - Too many holed pistons with that stuff.

Jeff
Old 6 Jan 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1808131)   #5
trikesrule
Racer

trikesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I built superkarts for four years at the Superkart Shop in Adelaide and the engine man said any synthetic looked after the internals best. We tried Stoltz, Shell and Castrol. Stoltz was supposed to be smokeless. Extreme how did oil put a hole in your piston(s)? The only time we holed a piston was setting up a Krauser on Methanol (twice) (for Speedway) because we hadn't set the baseline. Once we base lined the mixture we were able to run the weather and jetting details thru a Zammut Weather Station. Never lost another piston after that. And we used Castrol Oils with that engine......trikes

Last edited by trikesrule; 6 Jan 2007 at 12:35.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 16:58 (Ref:1808903)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a Rotax that I've bunged whatever 2 stroke oil came to hand from the local garage - its actually done at least 3 seasons (over 50 hours I reckon) without a rebuild until just having one and John at JVC said it was in pretty good condition especially given its a mark1 with their notoriuos main bearing problems. Therefore I personally am not too picky on my oils. Sods law says it will seize first time out now....