Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: FF/FR are they a waste of time and money can u do well in f3 from the start?
YES 8 22.22%
NO 28 77.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Jan 2004, 01:43 (Ref:846298)   #1
yonny weeden
Rookie

yonny weeden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
formula ford/ Renult waste of time? or not

so come on tell me wot you think is FF and FR just a big waste of time and money??????
i have my own opinion which i will not say???????

all i can say is miss FF/FR did Nelson Piquet no arm at all miss those 2 classes. if you can drive you can drive and that kid can drive

so come on tell us wot you think of it all????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????
Old 22 Jan 2004, 01:51 (Ref:846304)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
karts to 300k slicks and wings,, i dont think so.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 01:58 (Ref:846314)   #3
yonny weeden
Rookie

it killed Nelson jumping stright in to an F3 oh hang on he got a F1 test last yr and came 2nd in the masters of F3 at Zanvoort. how did that happen with no ff or fr exp??? you got me
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:03 (Ref:846326)   #4
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know he's good but im sure his dad helped out there.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:04 (Ref:846330)   #5
yonny weeden
Rookie

ya but still got stright in to an F3 car won at home then came over to the Eu
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:06 (Ref:846331)   #6
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are quick and you have the money sure you can skip FF/FR and do well. If you don't have the money yet have aim to fo F3, then what other option do you have other than do FF/FR in the hope of picking up sponsorship as a result.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:12 (Ref:846335)   #7
yonny weeden
Rookie

you make a very good point!!

however this post is for all those who think that ff/fr is a must. so you have car control and can tell underster and so on. come on you lot we all know that is the 1st thing you learn in cadets at the age of 8. how to drive fast if you can in cadet you can in FF/FR/F3/F1 if you have talent if not go home stop spending daddys money
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:23 (Ref:846347)   #8
goughy
Racer

Yes, if you have natural talent you have talent and like you say that was developed for me in karting. However, you always learn and thats part of racing through the ranks and you have to learn how to adopt from karting into single seaters.

Theres a lot of people who have done that, but I know of a lot of lads who were quick in karting that could not translate that into single seaters. FF/FR is a step in becoming a more complete driver and like you said if you are spending someone elses money its best you can prove it at this level, partically in a controlled series like FF where talent should rise to the top.

So yes, I think its a must in many ways. Anyway, apart from the son of a F1 champ, don't know many lads who have gone straight into F3. If Lewis Hamilton's managment thought it best to do FR first rather than throw the lad into F3 what does that tell you?

You have done FF, come on get off the fence, whats your opion?

Last edited by goughy; 22 Jan 2004 at 02:28.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:30 (Ref:846350)   #9
yonny weeden
Rookie

1 talent does not come to the top in FF look at Alx Danielson talent no money Tom kimber money no talent who won talent or money??????
2 im not saying its best to go stright there im saying if your any good you can go there and run at the front after the winter testing in round 1
and lewis is in F1 already just on hold till seat is free he has been in F1 from 97-98
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:37 (Ref:846352)   #10
goughy
Racer

But people understand that with Alx. Everyone knows he did things in the Ray not many others could of and he won races.

Money is a powerful tool in motorsport and without it, well you are not going to get where your talent should take you. Thats a difficult choice all drivers without the funding have to face upto one day. There is only so far you can go and for many thats as far as FF or FR. Ben Clucus getting signed up for Toyota shows there is hope for those without a fat cheque book.

You are right, if the talent is there and the money, there is no reason why you cannot do the business in F3. At the end of the day, if you can drive fast, you can drive anything fast.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:41 (Ref:846355)   #11
yonny weeden
Rookie

Thank you that wot people in motor racing dont seem to get if you can drive you can drive it all in the stopwatch not how much power u put down at a set timel.

to bad there are so many rich untalented drivers and not more real born to race talented drivers out there
but it is as it is
Old 22 Jan 2004, 03:39 (Ref:846377)   #12
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: formula ford/ Renult waste of time? or not

Quote:
Originally posted by yonny weeden
so come on tell me wot you think is FF and FR just a big waste of time and money??????
i have my own opinion which i will not say???????

all i can say is miss FF/FR did Nelson Piquet no arm at all miss those 2 classes. if you can drive you can drive and that kid can drive

so come on tell us wot you think of it all????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????
Is this in English? :confused:
Old 22 Jan 2004, 06:03 (Ref:846410)   #13
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like the ranting of someone who's lack of talent means he couldn't find somebody to pay for his racing!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 08:38 (Ref:846492)   #14
Jensen
Racer

Jensen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
of course

If you have a famous name and loads of money then why not, truth is motor racing is like any sport, the more you practice the better you get I would imagine even schumacher got beat in his early karting days, ok so Piquet is good but his profile would have been much much bigger if he had come up through all the ranks winning each one "with the best teams of course".

I think Lewis Hamilton would beat him.

Jensen
Old 22 Jan 2004, 08:59 (Ref:846516)   #15
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the whole point here is that whatever class you choose you have to be prepared. Coulthard/Franchitti spent 1 year testing around the UK learning about FF cars before they raced (DC did over 20k miles before his first race)...and I seem to remember Allan Mcnish doing the same in Steve Key's RF86 also. Piquet did zillions of miles back in Brasil.

So it doesn't matter which class a good karter enters as long as he/she is fully prepared. And for the record TK-S is not untalented (nor are any of the leading FF runners) - you simply don;t become British FF champ (with a fair few wins) without talent. I would get off your high horse, spend some more time finding a sponsor and less time thinking about when you beat so and so in a kart race 5 years ago.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 09:38 (Ref:846552)   #16
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not very representative poll really as the majority of ten-tenths single seater subscribers are either current or ex FFord drivers/owners.

Hasnt anyone ever wondered why everyt single seater based thread is so biased towards everything FFord.

Personally think FRenault is a good step. FFord has probably had its day at National level. Although is still excellent value for money at club level though considering how many cars are out there and parts are easy to come by for relatively low cash outlay.

How about separating the poll into two, one for each?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 09:56 (Ref:846569)   #17
bumpsteer
Rookie

bumpsteer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yonny Weeden + failed driver = chip on shoulder
Old 22 Jan 2004, 11:08 (Ref:846646)   #18
TeamJLR
Rookie

TeamJLR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We ran both Alx and Tom Kimber-Smith. Tom won races and a Championship, Alx not a race. The budget we had with Tom was actually a smaller budget. Where does that leave your theory? Sorry Yonny but I have seen both drivers first hand and I belive Alx as quick as anybody on his day but Tom quick, team player and more inteligent than most at this level. See the F3 announcement soon on Tom and you will see it wasn't money that paid for the drive.
Any junior formula will serve to better prepare a talented driver for his arrival in F3 should he be so lucky to get to that level.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 14:05 (Ref:846841)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piquet did a year of F3 testing, then a year of F3 racing in a not completely competitive championship, then did his 03 Brit F3 season. He did a lot of learning out of the spotlight.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:17 (Ref:846915)   #20
bbr73
Rookie

bbr73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you really think he got stragiht into an F3 car and won???? Makes a good story, but that's all it is, these guys tend to have heaps of testing / track time before hand. Bum in seat + talent = race winner

FFord and FReanult are both very good, strong, credible championships and excellent places to learn the craft.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:35 (Ref:846937)   #21
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Anyone who can find the funding to jump straight into F3 can find the funding to do a year in FFord or FR2000 first - and it makes sense! Why spend £250k+++ to find out that you really aren't that good after all, when for an outlay of 1/2 that you can test your level, learn the tracks and learn some racecraft.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:50 (Ref:846973)   #22
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think racecraft is a requirement that is less and less important as racing progresses. Give me a fast solid qualifier any day, especially at these lower levels where the races are barely 25 minutes long. Your racer will never get close enough to pass my guy.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:29 (Ref:847045)   #23
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Call me old fashioned, but isn't qualifying part of racecraft?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:39 (Ref:847062)   #24
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with racingdad qualifying is indeed part of racecraft... I don't believe anyone can just jump straight from karting to F3....maybe FRenault to F1 but that's a little different!!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:43 (Ref:847067)   #25
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who is Yonny Weeden anyway ?