Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old Yesterday, 06:29 (Ref:4205987)   #3226
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
yeah I like Nico as well as Jenson.

Their insights are current, honest, refreshing and neither have the "failed F1 driver" salt that di Resta did with his commentary.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 (Ref:4206005)   #3227
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Disagree with every aspect of this comment.
I find Nico is willing to express his opinions without being scared of offending someone which is what journalists/commentators are supposed to do.
Plenty of praise from him for drivers when it is justified.It’s not faked.
Faking it is what the TV commentators in your beloved Supercars do.
Praising a bloke on the broadcast after having smashed him in the wider press makes for a fickle friend. It’s been done to Mr Hamilton and Mr Ricciardo amongst others. Some of the on air criticism of Mr Hamilton has been dreadful and disrespectful to my old ears.

Bias is fine when you can see it. You can choose to listen, or couch it in that bias to neutralise it. Flip flopping as a fair weather supporter is tiring and makes the mute button my friend.

Perhaps we could switch Ms Schiff’s sharing back into the mix. Or indeed make more of Ms Collins’ talents.

And yes, the V8Supercar coverage has more rough spots in the commentary team and practices than desirable. They seem to be working on it.. but that seems to have reduced screen time for the one bloke who knows how the world works.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old Yesterday, 11:53 (Ref:4206033)   #3228
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Disagree with every aspect of this comment.
I find Nico is willing to express his opinions without being scared of offending someone which is what journalists/commentators are supposed to do.
Plenty of praise from him for drivers when it is justified.It’s not faked.
Faking it is what the TV commentators in your beloved Supercars do.
With respect, journalists are meant to stick to the facts while leaving their opinions out of it. Pundits, on the other hand, are there to provide their opinions.

As a pundit, I do like Nico as his opinions very much carry the weight of one with experience but as a commentator (and this is just my opinion) was there something wrong with his voice? To me it seemed like he was coughing a lot or had something stuck in his throat. Probably just too much talking over the weekend when he’s not used to it?

Why is Brundle busy all the time? Love or hate the crew fine, but for commentary to be effective it also needs to be consistent imo. Too many talking heads taking turns is turning out too be worse than to many talking heads all trying to talk at the same time.
Old Yesterday, 17:47 (Ref:4206087)   #3229
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin Brundle is in his 60's, has ongoing health issues, and a business to run away from his TV work, therefore it is quite understandable that he chooses not to devote half of the year to F1, especially with the effects of long haul travel, and time zone changes on the body.

It's just a shame that Kravitz seems to appear everywhere, and adds nothing.
Old Yesterday, 18:05 (Ref:4206090)   #3230
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm swimming against the tide a little here but I like Ted. He's got the enthusiasm that we all used to have before we became old, cynical and bitter and he loves the seemingly pointless minutiae that F1 produces so much of.

I generally watch from the end of the parade lap to the chequered flag nowadays so I don't see too much of his stuff, but he very definitely appeals to the pointless knowledge brigade, of whom there are an awful lot.

He'd be a demon quizzer!
Old Yesterday, 18:09 (Ref:4206091)   #3231
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And the AR studio thing - I was speaking to someone who works behind the scenes for Sky at the weekend, who said they scrolled through Twitter during the first weekend they used it and spent the entire time wincing. The lack of popularity was noted.

I've only seen a few minutes of that and it struck me that Chris Morris (of The Day Today fame) would have fitted in very well indeed
Old Yesterday, 18:15 (Ref:4206093)   #3232
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
Martin Brundle is in his 60's, has ongoing health issues, and a business to run away from his TV work, therefore it is quite understandable that he chooses not to devote half of the year to F1, especially with the effects of long haul travel, and time zone changes on the body.
Martin, by his own choice for the reasons above, only signed up to do 18 races this year.

As it happens we will get a 3 race break from Crofty soon..... he wont be at Imola, Austria or Azerbaijan as he is "keen to focus on his family as he prepares for his wedding later this year."

Harry Benjamin who I have to admit I have never heard of, but has commentated on FIA Formula 3 and F1 juniors will be Croftie's replacement.
Old Yesterday, 21:05 (Ref:4206107)   #3233
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=peebee2;4205981]Croft is just a commentator. Commentators are paid for commentating, not journalism. Many commentators have a poor understanding of what they are seeing.[/QUOTE)

Thanks i'm aware of many many commentators around the world over the years, but that's not what I asked?
Old Yesterday, 21:09 (Ref:4206109)   #3234
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
And the AR studio thing - I was speaking to someone who works behind the scenes for Sky at the weekend, who said they scrolled through Twitter during the first weekend they used it and spent the entire time wincing. The lack of popularity was noted.

I've only seen a few minutes of that and it struck me that Chris Morris (of The Day Today fame) would have fitted in very well indeed
Love the Chris Morris mention..
"Amd now over to Brian O'Hanraohanrahan and Damon Hill..."
Old Yesterday, 21:55 (Ref:4206117)   #3235
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Love the Chris Morris mention..
"Amd now over to Brian O'Hanraohanrahan and Damon Hill..."
I'm never ever going to see anything as funny as "IT'S WAR!"

That said... I'm going to see the stage show of Drop The Dead Donkey later in the week. Send help, I may hurt myself laughing!
Old Yesterday, 23:37 (Ref:4206121)   #3236
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm swimming against the tide a little here but I like Ted. He's got the enthusiasm that we all used to have before we became old, cynical and bitter and he loves the seemingly pointless minutiae that F1 produces so much of.

I generally watch from the end of the parade lap to the chequered flag nowadays so I don't see too much of his stuff, but he very definitely appeals to the pointless knowledge brigade, of whom there are an awful lot.

He'd be a demon quizzer!
I like Ted too. He's just an excited nerdy F1 fan like the rest of us.
Old Today, 01:45 (Ref:4206132)   #3237
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
With respect, journalists are meant to stick to the facts while leaving their opinions out of it. Pundits, on the other hand, are there to provide their opinions.

As a pundit, I do like Nico as his opinions very much carry the weight of one with experience but as a commentator (and this is just my opinion) was there something wrong with his voice? To me it seemed like he was coughing a lot or had something stuck in his throat. Probably just too much talking over the weekend when he’s not used to it?

Sorry.I actually agree with your point about journalism.With the caveat of the old saying that “Journalism is something that someone doesn’t want you to know about.Everything else is just public relations”.
In the context of the Sky F1 coverage only the race commentator and pit reporter needs to take the role of a journalist.The rest are pundits.
Old Today, 14:31 (Ref:4206183)   #3238
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Sorry.I actually agree with your point about journalism.With the caveat of the old saying that “Journalism is something that someone doesn’t want you to know about.Everything else is just public relations”.
In the context of the Sky F1 coverage only the race commentator and pit reporter needs to take the role of a journalist.The rest are pundits.
yeah thats more than fair. actually was thinking more about it as well and typically in sports the commentary features one play by play/race commentator (which is essentially a plain reporting of facts as they occur so they indeed do fit my notion of a journo as you allude to) and the other being the colour commentator (basically the pundit offering insight or instigation).

so upon reflection i both see your point and also agree with it...despite my earlier hot take lol!

Tags
pinks